Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

201 to 220 of 12,924 messages
15/10/2004 at 11:36
Swoops in with a tumble turn for 200!

Looking forward to lots of swims over half term :o)
15/10/2004 at 12:07
XFR I've never tried to tumble turn, think I might end up very disorientated, not knowing if I'm on my @rse or my elbow.
WildWill    pirate
15/10/2004 at 12:09
I dont bother much with Tumbles - when you move to open water swimming there is not much call

I do them in training sometimes - but not keen on them
15/10/2004 at 12:10
I can't do them - when I try I end up with water up me nose. I'd love to be able to do them properly though, there's a swimming club (juniors) that train on one side of the pool Tuesday evening, and they look so graceful :o( If kids of six can do it then surely I can?
iron fraggle    pirate
15/10/2004 at 12:36
I *tried* to do one once and ended up with my feet sticking up out of the water, and possibly facing the wrong way ! I then attempted to look real nonchalant like I'd not really being trying that at all, honest guv......

would love to master them though
15/10/2004 at 12:43
Any tips Will? Susie? Spans?
16/10/2004 at 09:15
The first stage is roly-polys in the water.
Swim front crawl and as your arm comes over do a roly-poly 360 degrees and carry on swimming in the same direction. You can practice a few each length.

Ball up the body - flick your legs over and rotate!

Once you can do that comfortably you can go onto stage two

regards

Dave F.
Monique    pirate
16/10/2004 at 10:48
Hello, I have an occasional lurk and although I'm not *technically* a crap swimmer anymore I still haven't bothered mastering tumble turns, I seem to turn over twice and head off diagonally, so gave up. However I happen to be swimming a lot with someone who is an ace swimmer, so I will act all pathetic and get him to teach me. Even in a pool swim tri though they aren't always allowed and besides it's nice to come up for air at the end of a length.
18/10/2004 at 07:29
Thanks Dave, will give it a go.

It's one of those things I'd rather like to masterI guess, even if it isn't much use.

Actually one of the things I think I've learnt in the last few days is to breathe when I want and sod whether it's every 3, 4 or 2. Coming up for air is good - if I don't I get out of breath and my technique goes to pot as I rush through to the next three or whatever, whereas if I'm less fixed on every three and breathe on two sometimes, my technique is smoother :o)
18/10/2004 at 19:53
Apparently breathing every three gets less oxygen into your system compared to every two.

One way round this is to breath three to the left 'do a three'(which puts you on the right) then do three to the right etc etc.

It takes a while to fully relax in the water so that you can breath every three and not run out of air :-)

Although I think it is only used at racing speeds up to 400m?

It took me quite a while to be able to breathe bi-laterally and I usually do 3r-3l bi-lateral breathing in a race for the extra air!
18/10/2004 at 20:20
ok - so you do three sets of breathing on 2 to the left, then switch with a breathe on 3 and then 3 sets of breathing on 2 to the right?

Just got confused with all those twos and threes!

I'm going tomorrow, I'll give it a try - thanks Dave :o)
18/10/2004 at 21:43
..I don't think I will attempt tumble turns yet, it could get nasty...

21/10/2004 at 07:27
Can I join this thread?

Had my first swimming lesson last night. Told the coach I wanted to learn front crawl with a view to having a go at triathlons.

Can't believe how crap I was. Couldn't get the leg action right at all. Left at the end feeling very frustrated.

I've no intention of giving up but IMCH in 2005 is looking like a pipe dream at this point.

They had me holding a float out in front of me and moving accross the pool using my legs. I wasn't moving at all. Then they had me holding a float in my left hand while doing the crawl action with my right. Lost control totally.

Should the technique be so difficult to acquire?
21/10/2004 at 09:59
it does take a lot of work and effort Pudsey - keep going
21/10/2004 at 11:03
Hello, this is my first time on this site, so bear with me! I am training for my first tri, from a background of an occasional runner, unable to do front crawl 2 years ago(apart from one length, before getting out of breath!) and not cycling since biking to school (I'm 34 now) As far as the swimming goes, up until last week I considered myself a cr@p swimmer, when I managed to complete 70 lengths (25m pool) front crawl. The main problems I suffered with initially were having to concentrate on too many things at once, and everything going wrong, and using up too much energy trying to kick my legs too hard/fast.
The turning point came when I used a pull bouy for my legs, enabling me to just concentrate on my arms and breathing, this made me realise how little you need to do with your legs, and therefore I could go for longer. Sounds simple I know, and I'm far from a fast swimmer now, but those 70 lengths last week were supposed to be 32 initially, then decided to do 40, then 50 etc. To my amazement I could just keep going! (And I'm sure it wasn't just down to my new Maru trunks!)Anyway, hope this helps, give the pull buoy a try!
21/10/2004 at 12:00
where did you get it from, Ian?
21/10/2004 at 12:21
XFR, I actually borrowed it off my wife, but you can get them most places now. Try looking at this web site, www.swimstop.co.uk There's two types there, but I imagine one is as good as the other. They are kind of figure 8 profile to fit between your legs, and you can adjust where you put them to change your boyancy, i.e the further away from your body - say held between the ankles - is harder work than closer - ie between your thighs.

Some pools have them to borrow, as they use them for classes.

Good luck!
21/10/2004 at 12:26
XFR,

I got mine from Decathlon.
21/10/2004 at 17:56
Dear Pudsey
I have to say first off - I'm not a swimming coach neither am I particularly quick - even now I can only manage about 1.35 for a 100m and 26 - 27 mins for 1500m in a triathlon.

However I am much more efficient than I was a few years ago when I was totally f@@cked after 6 lengths :-). My stroke count is now down to 14-15 strokes per length from about 25.

IMHO that is the way forward - becoming more efficient first. To do this you need to be balanced in the water i.e. long and flat and you don't really need much of a leg kick. Just enough for balance.

Holding floats and pull-bouys will not help to teach you to get balanced and streamlined. However pull bouys are ok for working on your arm stroke occasionally.

For leg kicking the best way is float horizontally on your side and extend your bottom arm (depending on which side you are facing) then kick up the pool. It mimics what you do when you swim and gets you balanced.

Terry Laughlins book Total Immersion has the full details - I found it very useful.
regards

Dave F.
JRM
21/10/2004 at 21:12
I'm a newbie swimmer. In the summer I could only swim 25m before my lungs were bursting. I've spent the last 3 months swimming twice sometimes three times a week working on my technique. I even joined a local group class where we were all, without exception, pathetic.

And after all that hard work I can now swim 30m.

No, seriously my technique gradually improved and I managed to do 2 then 3 lengths. I was breathing every 3 (bilateral) at this stage and was running out of breath. This is what I had been taught to do.

Then in August I watched quite a few Olympic swimming events and saw that most swimmers were breathing every 2 strokes. I started doing the same and found I could keep going for 10 lengths without stopping.
I'm now up to 30 lengths and can average 30 seconds for each 25m for this distance. Which means that whilst I am not remotely quick I can overtake breaststrokers quite well and more importantly I can keep up with most of the crawlers. I have also managed to do 50m in 44 seconds which feels quite fast to me - although I have seem times for the 7 year old squad swimmers who can beat that!

I have read LOADS of swimming books - 'cause thats the sort of saddo I am. And I have to say that if I was helping someone who could only manage 1 length before their lungs were caving in - I would tell them to get a bog-standard swimming book with pictures and try and do everything it tells you (in stages of course). I have read Total Immersion and I would say this is the wrong book for novices. Its a book for those who have mastered the bog-standard book and can do something that passes for a decent crawl. Total Immersion is more about feel for the water and feel for a body position. This is completely wasted on novices who don't have many other thoughts in their head when they are swimming other than shit I've just gulped in a bucket load of water or shit I can't gulp enough air in between strokes, or shit I'm in the deep end and I don't think I'm going to last for more than a few more strokes.

I'not dissing Total Immersion - its got a few very good points not all of which I probably appreciate given my standard - but no way is it a book for freestyle newcomer.

201 to 220 of 12,924 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.