Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

321 to 340 of 12,934 messages
23/11/2004 at 23:15
i find crawl easiest .im much slower at breaststroke and tire quickly ..although i do a few lengths to alternate ..but its not so good if youve got any knee or lower back problems
i find crawl easiest .im much slower at breaststroke and tire quickly ..although i do a few lengths to alternate ..but its not so good if youve got any knee or lower back problems
oops!
23/11/2004 at 23:18
Oo, a carp swimming thread thats just what I need.

Running injury has forced me to splash in the local pool. I'm up to 4 length warm-up, 16 lenghts crawl (with 10 secs breather every 2 lengths), 4 lengths cool-down.

These are measly 30 metre lengths too.

Is that carp or what?

23/11/2004 at 23:21
nope thtas great!

30m lengths are fine ..pools tend to be 25m (unless you are lucky enough to have a 50m locally)so dont knock it
23/11/2004 at 23:23
Gary - that's more advanced than most on here, including myself. So, no, not carp. Or crap or any other type of fish.
24/11/2004 at 15:33
Hi everyone,

I was dead brave yesterday and ventured into a 33m pool, and it was really deep too!
Managed 4 lenghts of breast warm up and then 18 lengths alternating breast and crawl so pretty chuffed although did have to stop for a breather at the end of every crawl lenght.

Having problems getting my position in the water right, think my head is too deep and hence having problems breathing..... more practice needed!
24/11/2004 at 15:37
How are the lessons going, Lindi?
24/11/2004 at 15:56
Lessons are going well - I'm moving up to the next class after christmas.

Also thinking I might get some lessons at La Santa in January to see if I can really get the technique cracked.

How are yours?

24/11/2004 at 15:58
Nice one Lindi....I picked up a breathing tip on a Triathlon training day (XFR was there also)...anyway the tip is to breathe out underwater like you are whistling, so that you are blowing the air out gradually as you go along, rather than trying to snort it out in one big go.

This has made a huge difference to me as before I was trying to both breathe out and in when my head was out of the water.

Consequently it cured me of the massive 'head out of water gasping for breath' routine....which means I was more relaxed, technique improved etc etc etc.

I'm now trying to master bi-lateral breathing
24/11/2004 at 16:04
Thanks FFM, I think maybe I'm not breathing out enough.
I think I'm lucky in being fairly ambidextrous so it seams totally natural to me to go bi-lateral, just need to change from bi-lateral drowning to bi-lateral breathing!
24/11/2004 at 16:56
Mine are finished fpor the mo - just supposed to be practising but I'm not.

If you're around at the weekend and fancy a swim?
24/11/2004 at 22:59
Sorry - I'll be in Falkirk this weekend. Maybe Monday night I might be about.
25/11/2004 at 18:48
I pity anyone being In Falkirk at the weekend.Or at any time, to be fair.

(Am bitter as all my relationships ended in or around that place!Its like the Bermuda triangle as far as I'm concerned!)

:0(
25/11/2004 at 20:25
What are swimming lessons like, any good?

I've started swimming pretty regular now as I've picked up a running injury. So guess what, yeaterday I got cramp in the left leg whilst doing a fast length (no innuendo's per-lease).
26/11/2004 at 08:26
If you are already swimming regular then you need improvement/technique classes rather than asking for 'swimming lessons'

How good/effective they are will depend on the teacher. Try talking to the poolside staff rather than the reception peeps, that should give you a better idea of how good their pools classes are.
26/11/2004 at 08:57
Yep, I booked an intermedioate class but made sure it was going to be pitched at the right level for me first.

It'll obviously depend on the instructors - hard to generalise I guess
26/11/2004 at 09:45
Dan dan - I'm hoping it won't be that bad but at least I have been warned!

Muzzy - I've really improved my technique as a result of lessons so would say it is definately worth it, but I was really rubbish and quite nervous before I started. At my pool they have a coach on hand at the Monday night lane swimming session who you can consult for free. Don't know if they do that at other pools too.
03/12/2004 at 20:55
Anyone been swimbling this past week? I've been far too busy. Soon though, soon...
321 to 340 of 12,934 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.