Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

341 to 360 of 12,942 messages
03/12/2004 at 23:31
Dan Dan - I did 20 (20 metre) lengths this morning - not non-stop though.
Nevertheless, I was pretty pleased about it 'cos it's the most I've ever managed in one session. #
It took me about 25 mins. (I wished I'd timed it accurately now), I alternated between front crawl, breaststroke & backstroke too!

TTT.
04/12/2004 at 10:37
I went 3 times this week, and noticed I am soooo slow at breaststroke.

I did 2 x 30m lengths in 75 secs front crawl - I dont know if thats fast or slow.

04/12/2004 at 11:26
went as part of a brick session this week and have a session planned for this evening
04/12/2004 at 11:55
what is a brick session?

04/12/2004 at 12:01
Sorry GT, it's a triathlon training session where you put two disciplines back to back.

So on tuesday night I did a hard 25 mins on an indoor bike and then ran down to the pool and did another 25 mins there.

I think the aim is to get your body used to the shock of immediately switching from one set of muscle uses to another.

The switch from bike to run is a killer...
04/12/2004 at 12:13
TTT

Great to hear you are progressing! Keep at it.It won't be long before you're an accomplished swimmer now.It just happens, almost overnight.Then you'll be contemplating crazy stuff, no doubt.

I'm planning a ten miler at the mo, for some time in the next few months probably.

It was only two Christmases ago that I was in exactly the same boat as you.So keep going matey!Anything is possible!
04/12/2004 at 12:27
Hope you had a shower before getting in the pool FFM.

Dan dan, did this boat capsize? Is that why you learnt to swim? And is that boat really safe, especially as TTT is now using it?
;0)
04/12/2004 at 15:02
Of course Muzzy!!
05/12/2004 at 00:00
Dan Dan:

Thanks for all your help & encouragement. I'm obviously very pleased with my recent progress too, it seems that, as you say, anything is possible.

That is particularly true for me at the moment; even with my running I've just achieved 4 successive PB's in the last 12 weeks. I expect that's probably the main reason for my quick progress in the pool too.

THE NEXT TARGET IS:
In the new year I shall probably be venturing into deep waters!!! To practise 'treading water', I'll practise in the way you recommended (with 2 floats) at first, but if you don't hear from me anymore then you'll know how it went anyway!! Only joking (I hope)!

Cheers,

TTT.
09/12/2004 at 22:54
Went for another splash tonight. Have increased my reps up to 150m but was regretting that towards the end. Did (I think) 650m. I feel fresher after running 1/2m's although the 1st 400 or so felt OK.

Is it to late to ask Santa for water wings?
10/12/2004 at 20:36
Yup.Fraid so.The sleigh was packed up and ready to be depatched days ago now.

You'll just have to keep plugging away! If you're feeling so knackered, you're definitely tying too hard.

Just try a pair of lengths each time at most till your technique improves.You'll get demoralised otherwise.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing one or two length repetitions.Nowt at all.Better to do one or two well then rest for a minute or two than to thrash up and down and half murder yourself.
10/12/2004 at 23:45
Oh I have no problem stopping for rests. And lessons start in Jan so I'll try to work on the stamina for a bit until I have to work properly on the technique.

Gutted about Santa....
11/12/2004 at 17:59
You can still put a request in with the Easter Bunny though.He's not set to do the rounds for quite a while yet...
Ratbag    pirate
14/12/2004 at 10:22

'There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing one or two length repetitions.Nowt at all.Better to do one or two well then rest for a minute or two than to thrash up and down and half murder yourself'

Aaah! that sound a little like my method...I'm trying hard not to think about doing lengths...my technique is rubbish apparently and I can only do a couple of lengths at a time...still plugging away though...
14/12/2004 at 10:39
Are we still talking about swimming? ;o)
Ratbag    pirate
14/12/2004 at 11:30
...err....no...were you?
14/12/2004 at 12:53
It's difficult to know whether to focus on the stamina or the stroke technique at the start. Is that what you mean RB?
14/12/2004 at 14:02
I'm going for focusing on technique - have got much slower and can do less distance than a few months ago but hopefully I am looking more graceful and it will be better int he long run.
Ratbag    pirate
14/12/2004 at 14:08
ES,

It really is about the technique...if you get it right, you can go for ages apparently...
Suffolk Punch    pirate
14/12/2004 at 16:44
Hiya fellow carp swimmers - I'm terrified as I'm having my first 'proper' swimming lesson this evening!
341 to 360 of 12,942 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.