Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

381 to 400 of 12,922 messages
21/12/2004 at 15:35
oh dear - need something wet to deal with that fire............
21/12/2004 at 15:38
Nooooo.Stop it!

I'm off before you make me say something you'll regret!

:-)
Ratbag    pirate
21/12/2004 at 15:52
oooh Lindy!!!

You little tease!!!
21/12/2004 at 17:37
I've always found that a good blow can put out fires.

Coat. Me. Get. I'll.

21/12/2004 at 19:08
Good job Ebeneezer ;-)
21/12/2004 at 19:50
Glad you've all settled down.I wouldn't have been able to sleep otherwise!
03/01/2005 at 16:21
TTT-whats the latest? Done any swimbling over the hols? How far can you do now?

Ready to join me on my ten miler yet?

:)

04/01/2005 at 14:50
Well, I got back into the pool for the first time since October today. Blimey, that was hard, my swimming muscles appear to have atrophied! Managed half a mile of crawl, but had to have several rests. I really mustn't let myself lapse again, it'll take me ages to get back up to a mile.
04/01/2005 at 14:53
My swimming lessons start next week. Might go for a splash on Thursday so I'm not too rusty (not literally I hope) before the 1st.
04/01/2005 at 15:11
I was suffering during my swim this morning but not sure if I should blame the Knacker Cracker on Saturday or the cycle yesterday - maybe both!

Top tip I read over the weekend.... apprently you need to swim more than once a week to improve your technique otherwise your body forgets how to co-ordinate the muscles effectively.
04/01/2005 at 15:19
The body certainly forgets if you leave it for 2 months...
Ratbag    pirate
04/01/2005 at 15:25
I have my first leson tomorrow...fingers crossed that these work...I'm getting a little desperate and worried...
04/01/2005 at 16:44
Just sticking my head in here to wish you all a happy new year, I haven't been for a splash around for a few weeks and I now have the lurgy but hopefully next week I will make an effort to go at least twice a week.
05/01/2005 at 18:57
Dan Dan,

I'm afraid I've not got 'round to treading water yet, if I'm totally honest (no excuses) it's 'cause I'm still too scared about venturing out of my depth at the moment!

On a more positive note, I can now swim 16 20 metre lengths in approx. 20 - 25 mins.(not non-stop though), which isn't great I know. But, when I consider my history & that my starting point was only last summer; then that's seems like some progress to me anyway.

Question: Are there any tips or techniques I can try that'll enable me to swim further than 20 metres in one go before tiring? I appreciate that this probably the $64,000 question, but any advice would be gratefully put to use, as I seem to have reached a bit of a plateau with the progress at the moment.

Sorry for the lateness in responding to your enquiry. I've just begun my FLM '05 training schedule this week. I will still be trying to keep the swimming improvement going though.

Regards,

TTT.
09/01/2005 at 20:40
TTT, keep going, you're doing great!

Try one of the following to help out.

Swim as per usual, aiming at two lengths to start with.Assume you get to one length and head out on the second for only 3 or 4 metres before feeling exhausted.Roll immediately onto your back, arms by side, sculling.You will move very very slowly, but it will give you chance to get your breath back and once you are ready to go again, roll back onto your front.You'll be in shallow enough water by now if you need to out your feet down.

Alternatively, use a kickboard, holding it in one hand and work, say, left arms only, holding with right hand. This should enable you to keep going longer also.One day, you 'll just keep going over and beyond two, three , four lengths and will never look back.

I imagine you are kicking your legs like crazy which is often the single most -overdone- elemet of the stroke.You only NEED a very, very slow kick to keep you moving.

As we have said before, less is more.Slow it right down till you think you are going to stop.

Then, one magic day it'll all just fall into place.Once this happens, then you can concentrate on improving breathing techniques which in turn will improve your swim greatly.

Oh and by the way, good luck with the FLM preparation.

Keep us informed on both!

Dan.
09/01/2005 at 23:04
Dan Dan,

Thanks for all the advice & encouragement, I'll certainly give it go & get back to you with a progress report too.

TTT.
10/01/2005 at 10:13
TTT,
sounds like you are starting from a similar position to me. This time last year I decided to learn how to swim in order to do a Triathlon. Before that couldn't swim one length.

What made the big difference to me was lessons. I did mine at a Tri training camp. Learning the right technique cuts down hugely on the amount of effort you are having to make.

In May last year I managed 200m in my first Tri with a mixture of crawl and breast stroke and with 5 second stops at each end.

Have made reasonable progress since then, and therefore would urge you to get some technique lessons if you can.

Keep it going and good luck with the FLM.....going to have to do it one year...

FFM
10/01/2005 at 22:38
Had 1st lesson tonight but I think I was in with the beginners (as in those who need help to float) so didn't learn too much. The proper instructor was off sick though so we should start properly next week.

My self-training has made some improvements though. Even did some crawl relatively easily.
10/01/2005 at 22:46
I have done 3 half ironmans but last October I wrapped myself round a tree coming off my motor bike

swan this evening HORRID will be a long road back
10/01/2005 at 22:47
Ouch.
381 to 400 of 12,922 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.