Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

401 to 420 of 12,912 messages
10/01/2005 at 22:47
Good luck to you, Gobi.
10/01/2005 at 23:21
FFM,

Thanks for your advice & supportive comments. I have been having swimming lessons since last March, & have already made, what I consider to be significant progress. It's my swimming instructor who has given me the confidence to get this far.

If you read my very first posting on this thread (page 3), you'll see that there's some history to my relationship with swimming pools!

Up until 12 months ago I wouldn't go anywhere near one - let alone get in it.
I also have a big psychological problem to overcome regarding deep water too.

My biggest problem at the moment though, is mastering the breathing technique. I reckon that is probably the main reason why I can only swim approx. 30 metres before needing to rest. However, I shall keep practising, I've no intention of giving up - not after having come this far.

TTT.
10/01/2005 at 23:34
Aha, just read your mad story. I always thought that was an old wives tale....

what exactly is the problem with your breathing?
10/01/2005 at 23:58
FFM,

I wish it had been an 'old wives tale', I can still vividly remember being flat on my back at the bottom of about eight feet of water & these two people coming to my rescue. Then, being laid face down at the the side of the pool & having the pool water massaged out of my lungs until finally I vomited.

The breathing issue is to do with not taking in sufficient air with each breath to be able to maintain swimming more than 30 metres at present. Probably 'cause I still sometimes panic a bit.

TTT.
11/01/2005 at 00:32
TTT may be as simple as mastering breathing out and being at the right point to breath in each time

something i'm now coming to turns with is if i don't expel enough air between breaths i can't inhale enough to keep going.

I know the panic feeling - but mines a shark thing so a bit less in pools - still not completely gone though
11/01/2005 at 07:22
dan dan

I always look on the bright side my running and cycling are going well
11/01/2005 at 23:48
TTT after struggling with front crawl since last summer, and especially the breathing thing, things have suddenly started to click. On Jan the 2nd I made it to 50m, 2 days later 100m and then 2 days after did my first 400m followed by the same again. Went swimming tonight and did 400 again, so it will come with patience.

My problem now is speed, as my breast stroke is still faster than my front crawl. But I am determined not to be doing breast stroke in a tri this year.
12/01/2005 at 14:24
Well, I seem to be getting back into it OK. Managed 2 x 400m today, the first of those without a break (well, just touching the end of the pool after each length). Have given myself a goal by sending off the form for a "Triathlon Swimming Masterclass" in mid-Feb (the one someone (XFR?) recommended on this thread a long while ago, in Walsall).
12/01/2005 at 15:08
Well done quimby. Sounds like an interesting course.
12/01/2005 at 19:55
Quimby. I've done the Master class too (with XFR). It's well worth it
12/01/2005 at 20:15
Thanks, Fat Squirrel & Fastest Fat Man. It does sound jolly interesting, and luckily quite local for me. I assume the pool in Walsall is a 50m one; it'll be interesting to swim in a big pool - haven't done so since I was at school.
27/01/2005 at 23:00
Hi all :O)

Just found this thread hope you don't mind me joining in

I am a really carp swimmer (can almost manage two lengths) but have decided that I want to try a triathlon preferably this year - but probably next year.

I cant join a swimming class due to my working hours - is there any kind of schedule or training program anyone knows of that I could follow?

P.S. what is TI?
28/01/2005 at 09:04
PieNapper

TI is a method described as fishlike swimming, and concentrates on being slippery in the water for maximum efficiency.

I had been doing it since July, but by January I still hadn't managed more than 50metres. However, I now go on my own twice a week and did my first 1K last night. So, I would say, TI may not be suitable for beginners.

I would suggest getting 1 to 1 lessons at a local pool to get the basics right and then its just practice.

TI is available in book form and on Video/DVD so you can self teach to a certain extent.
28/01/2005 at 09:05
Did I say it stands for Total immersion??!!
Ratbag    pirate
28/01/2005 at 09:14
Just looking for some feedback here...

I have had about 3 or 4 lessons now and intend to have more...but...I've been doing some drills in my lessons with a float...basically you hold the float out in front and then, using fc you swap the board from one hand to another...i.e. right arm makes stroke and comes to front grabs float, left arm makes stroke and comes to front and takes the float and so on...well that's all fine but now I find I'm sort of swimming that way without the float and it feels very wierd...has anybody done this? Is it the right way to go on or will my stroke get back to what I figured was 'normal'??

I hope the above makes sense...
28/01/2005 at 09:21
PieNapper (really weird nickname that..)

I had the same ambition and less swimming talent last January. I managed three Tri's last year. My biggest improvement in swimming came from attending Triathlon training days.

I live in the midlands and the West Mids BTA do beginners training days which are great.

If you check out the BTA website ( www.britishtriathlon.org )there are quite a few novice sprint races every year that have a 200m swim. I started at Stratford last year which is a big race, but good fun. There are plenty of people in the pool who take 6mins plus to swim 200m.

Go on, you know you want to.......
28/01/2005 at 10:27
Wise words FFM. I did 4 sprint triathlons with 400m swims last year by doing breaststroke, and my humble 12 minutes was by no means the slowest.
28/01/2005 at 14:56
RB, I was doing something similar but with backstroke. I think he was trying to slow down my stroke but it made no sense & he gave no feedback. So I'm on to a different trainer now. That's why I think it might be anyway.

Ratbag    pirate
28/01/2005 at 15:03
Gavo,

I went to the pool again today and I can't seem to get out of the habit unless I try to swim faster, then all technique goes out the window...I'll persever as I think she knows what she's doing. In fact I saw her today in passing at the pool and mentioned it to her. She is confident that everything is going according to plan....whatever the plan is....

Tri Club tonight and even more swimbling...I think I'm getting waterlogged...
28/01/2005 at 15:17
RB, there's no need to go faster at the moment is there? I had a couple of lessons in the summer where the trainer just made me concentrate on my kick so they might be breaking down your stroke into the basics and then once you've got it mastered you can speed up.

And once you're sorted I'll let you coach me.
401 to 420 of 12,912 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.