Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

5,801 to 5,820 of 11,788 messages
06/07/2009 at 14:02
Cheers Soup.  I am a numpty when it comes to left or right so I get I may be one of those that can't work out clockwise/anti clockwise.  As long as there is a pic or a sign to show me the direction I (and everyone else) should be ok
06/07/2009 at 14:13

Schmunkee - You'll be fine - just get to the pool beforehand to watch what other people do.   You will have to queue up in number order by the pool so that will give you a bit of time to watch how it works too.  And there will be signs up and marshalls to help.  If its a fun2tri event you will have no difficulty at all - just enjoy it and good luck.   Its a good idea to give yourself time to find out where everything is.  A very helpful pirate had to physically show me how to get to the swimming pool at Stratford - and reassure me that yes I could walk there in just swimming gear and no shoes.   

You are very brave PQ to do an OW event as your first tri - well done and pleased its getting easier for you.  I'd love to try some OW swimming soon, but the cost of a wet suit and finding the time is a little hard right now (no to be honest getting up early on a Saturday morning  is hard), but its on my list for a "definately" next year.

06/07/2009 at 14:21

Cheers SD. There's so much to learn and try out with all these tris, it's nice to spread it out across the years! An OW swim would be really good to aim for next year. My aim next year is to get a road bike in the january sales and master cycling that (have never even sat on a road bike) and the funny cycling shoes attached to the pedals! Learning to swim front crawl was enough for this year...

I hired my wetsuit for £50, although unfortunately I've ripped it with my nails a few times so I think they'll be charging me full price to keep it. So that turned out to be something of a false economy! 

06/07/2009 at 14:29

Yep - I'm aiming to get a racing bike and go clippless next year too.  Planning to get one of those packages with everything in.  I'm a bit worried about hiring a wet suit for the very same reasons you've given.  

In the mean time I will work away at front crawl - its getting there but have some good days and some when it just doesnt work - but its not going to beat me!!!   I can do this!!!  Arghhhhhh.... !!!! (I used to think I was a good swimmer till I started this tri thing - quite a humbling experience!).

06/07/2009 at 14:30
Soup - triuk.com have come highly recommended to me.  At the start of the season you can rent a wetsuit for a fee plus a deposit.  If you wanna keep wettie at end of season you just let them know and it yours, you just don't get your deposit back.  I am going to look into it more at the start of next year as I wanna do OW but need to work on my swimming technique until then.
Nam
06/07/2009 at 14:30

PQ the 'pack' flew away from me in Bala and I expect it to be thinning out where I'll be swimming (hopefully a similar pace to IW on a good day). 

Pool swims...  Do you know the size of the pool?  Some are 20m, most are 25m and some are 33m.

The Nantwich one was up-down, up-down, cross over next lane & repeat, for 4 lanes I think... and that's a 30m pool or so?  You cross over lanes so that eventually everyone gets out at the other end of the pool.  I did another pool based tri where they did different waves with 4 to a lane but that was quite chaotic.

06/07/2009 at 14:31
x-post with soup
06/07/2009 at 14:34

Nam - Caldicot is 20m pool so coming up short on distance with 9 lengths.  Nantwich is 30m ?  OMG - wish I had known that before I entered!

<panics quietly>

06/07/2009 at 14:41

SD - I wouldn't mind, I don't even have long nails. They are just so easy to rip, especially when yanking them up the back of the legs (and getting it up and over my bum is a nightmare - but perhaps you won't have this problem!). I've repaired mine with proper neoprene glue, so it's still usable. I just don't think they'll have it back in this condition!

You sound like you are making fantastic progress with the swimming. The harder you find it, the more of an achievement it is, if you ask me. My form is getting better (I think) but I am very slow.

Nam - that's good to know. I suppose a happy medium of not being completely left behind, but not swimming with people hemming me in all over the place would be nice. 

Nam
06/07/2009 at 14:49
You'll be fine.  Natwich pool is a lovely pool. Full of brine!!
Nam
06/07/2009 at 14:51

>pinches from a website<

Nantwich Outdoor Brine Pool was first opened to the public in 1934. The pool measures 100 ft long by 50 ft wide, with a water depth from 3ft to 7ft 6in. It is probably the only inland Brine Pool left in the U.K. Brine is pumped into the pool from an underground source near to the pool. The pool water temperature is maintained at 22C (74F) and through solar gain is usually much warmer.

http://www.river-swimming.co.uk/nantwich.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/oliver.merrington/lidos/nantwich.jpg

Edited: 06/07/2009 at 14:52
06/07/2009 at 14:57

I haven't been in an outdoor pool for years.  I can't wait!!

Edit - to add good luck to Nam at the weekend.

Edited: 06/07/2009 at 14:58
06/07/2009 at 14:58
Nam - yep, just done the maths and it would be 30m .  Oh well, have until Sep to work up to that length. 
07/07/2009 at 08:58

Went to my swimming lesson yesterday and consolidated on the FC.  Decided that as Caldicot is 9 lengths, I will tackle it as 1FC then 2BS x3.  This will mean that I can actually cover the distance without getting too tired.  But this got me thinking.......

How do you build up stamina/endurance to cover longer distances?  It's easy for running as you can just change the time intervals but how do you translate this for swimming as surely going from one length to two is doubling the effort straight away? This would wear me out immediately!

Nam
07/07/2009 at 09:04

Schmunkee what worked for me is what many people are advised to do when they start running, and that's to take it nice and slowly.  I find if I can keep my heart rate nice and low and am less likely to panic and can go on for longer.  Even now when I push the pace too much right at the start it all goes to pot.  I did this last weekend in the lake when I just told myself 'nice and easy this is not a race' when my friends flew off into the distance.  Did the first 500m easy and then you just pick up and in the end I wasn't that far behind them to finish, whereas if I try to swim too fast I waste more time breast stroking and stopping to get my heart rate back down.  I think that was my downfall in Bala was that I tried to keep up with the pack and that combined with my panic just put me in an awful state that took me a good 15 mins to recover from.  Try to swim a 'negative split'.

Nam
07/07/2009 at 09:06

About getting from one length to two, what worked fr me is to reduce the rest break between the lengths, so initially I'd swim 25m and would need 1min recovery... you reduce the recovery... 45secs, 30secs, 20secs, 10secs, just counting to 5....  and eventually you can do 2 lengths.

And just keep thinking niiiice and eaaaasy......

Edited: 07/07/2009 at 09:07
07/07/2009 at 09:28
Aaaah, I see Nam.  What I am trying to do is keep moving by doing breast stroke as my 'recovery'.  Also I know that I 'panic' and try to get from one end of the pool to the other as quick as poss.  It's not fear or anything like that, but something kicks in and I push myself to the other end.  I need to remember 'niiiice and eaaasy'.  Maybe I could use that instead of baa baa black sheep!
Nam
07/07/2009 at 09:45
Niiiiice and eaaasy does it, and look at your watch and initially give yourself about 10secs more rest than you think you need, so you feel nice and rested for the next lap.  Eventually you can take those 10secs off and still feel rested and just work with your perceived exertion (i.e. how knackered you think you are).  If you do that you'll find you can soon progress to take a few secs off your rest time.  Just battling on right at the beginning didn't work for me at all.  I'd struggle through my 1st length, turn around start my 2nd length and withing 3 strokes I'd be hanging gasping in the ropes...
07/07/2009 at 09:57

PQ, top tip for getting a wetsuit on is to use a water based lubricant on your lower legs and arms.  My lube of choice is KY but others are available

The advantage of a water based lube is that it washes off in the swim so you don't end up with sticky legs and arms when you get on the bike.

07/07/2009 at 10:11
Nam wrote (see)
 I'd struggle through my 1st length, turn around start my 2nd length and withing 3 strokes I'd be hanging gasping in the ropes...

That's exactly where I am now!  Will take your advice tomorrow and let you know how I get on (although I know you have better things to deal with right now)

Which leads me to.....good luck for the weekend and I hope it all goes well!  Look forward to hearing how you, and the others, get on.

Big hugs to all going to Switzerland this weekend

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.