Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

5,801 to 5,820 of 12,948 messages
19/01/2009 at 23:29
Sorry going right off line here, but what sort of placing are you aiming at to get your place?  My only hope is winning the lottery place.  The dream of swimming there compared with starting at my local pool....... 
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
20/01/2009 at 06:26

Neil - I've never had a real chance to qualify before, as I'm not that fast but I just moved up into W60 this year. There is only one other woman entered in our age group, and she is 64. Therefore I have at least a 50-50% chance of the qualifying slot - if I win then of course the slot is mine by right, if I'm 2nd and the other woman doesn't want to go the slot rolls down to me. She was the sole W60 last year and declined the Kona slot, so I have hopes. But I am going for the win anyway!

Meglet - thanks for thinking of me but I am not a novice, have done some IMs already. I am in week 14 of my coach's 37 week training plan to get me ready for July.

20/01/2009 at 07:18
Good luck IW!!
20/01/2009 at 08:31
Ultra-Ironwolf wrote (see)

Meglet - thanks for thinking of me but I am not a novice, have done some IMs already. I am in week 14 of my coach's 37 week training plan to get me ready for July.

oh no i didnt think you were, your swim training alone is pretty serious! Sounds like you have a good chance already, and with the right training you will increase your chances even more. having done one before i am sure you realise what it takes, i take my hat off to anyone wh even attempts an ironman (as someone who finds the thought of a marathon on its own very scary!). i have been reading that blog in awe, they went for Kona places last year but missed out. theyre fairly local to me too although i dont know them, just stumbles across the blog by accident.

my second swim lesson tonight, not so nervous this week

20/01/2009 at 08:44

My quest for speed wasn't bringing me enough disappointment and frustration during the evenings and weekends so now I've taken to early morning swims as well.

I had both feet wet by 06.30 and did 2300 metres in 55 minutes. That's an definitely an improvement but not enough of an improvement to beat the feckin traffic warden who slapped a £30 ticket on my car at 07.20. 

Still, I can now look forward to a full day of sniffing, scratching and dribbling on my paperwork, in the knowledge that I've freed up more time this evening to grind out some extra mind numbing  miles on the turbo.

Happy swimming all. 

20/01/2009 at 09:08
Ah poor you Av!  So the question is, can you afford to swim that early in the morning?
20/01/2009 at 11:32

Actually meglet, I'm the only one in the swim group who's doing IM, the others are all Olympic distance athletes. Doing an IM or even a marathon I would say depends very much on mental attitude - I don't have the speed to do well at shorter distances and got got fed up with trailing in at the back of the field. I do have stamina, bags of it, have run 38 marathons and 1 40-mile ultra. To me they are easier than 10kms - which are loooong sprints to me!

And the other thing is.............I really love doing the training for its own sake.

20/01/2009 at 11:50
i think you would have to love it to do that. i find it hard to fit in three short runs a week!
20/01/2009 at 12:33
Ultra-Ironwolf wrote (see)
Neil - I've never had a real chance to qualify before, as I'm not that fast but I just moved up into W60 this year. There is only one other woman entered in our age group, and she is 64. Therefore I have at least a 50-50% chance of the qualifying slot - if I win then of course the slot is mine by right, if I'm 2nd and the other woman doesn't want to go the slot rolls down to me. She was the sole W60 last year and declined the Kona slot,

Thats brialliant, just need the sex change and a couple more years and I'm on my way.  Oh yes and the two of you to decline.   How do the cut of times vary to the other IM's youve done.

Apologies to others, this is off thread again, but we are looking at the other end of the range.

20/01/2009 at 16:19

Meg, I think you're starting to embrace all things tri.  Tell me I'm wrong...

I have my 3rd swimming lesson tonight, looking forward to it but I haven't been to the pool since my last lesson so will probably be a bit crap!

GOM.    pirate
20/01/2009 at 16:28

If that is the case, why not try and get there a few minutes earlier to just go over what you did in your last lesson. Would be a good way to refresh your memory of both your mind and muscles.

Don't do a massive session just 5 - 10 minutes, this will help you warm up for the lesson, and make you think about the key points from the last session.

20/01/2009 at 16:28

Neil - very similar times.

Tri club swim tonight - I'll report back as usual afterwards on the session.

20/01/2009 at 16:44

this week's training plan is for a step back week -

Mon massage
Tues easy swim day
Wed 13km hill run
Thurs 4 bike sprints followed by long hill climb
Fri weights/core exercises
Sat tri swim race 1000m
Sun brick - 3 hours bike ride followed by a 15km run

Next week has a high intensity run, a 3000m swim, a bike turbo RPM workout,  Cooper swim test (distance in 12 minutes), 3hr bike/10km run brick, 2.5km steady swim

20/01/2009 at 20:10

16 lengths in 18 minutes tonight.  Mostly front crawl now, but with a few breast stroke lengths every now and again.  Considering I could only do half a length of front crawl a few months back, this goes to show that if you persevere at it, it will come.  Just keep going...   My kids were having a lesson on the other side of the pool and my daughter reported seeing a really long trailing bogie in the pool, a plaster and another solid bogie. 

Keep up the good work and for goodness sakes will you all blow your noses before swimming.  I thank you...

20/01/2009 at 20:36
Really good lesson tonight. I'm beginning to do the right things with my shoulder but my elbows dont' seem to be bending properly, if that makes sense   Anyhow, I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to getting back in the pool on Friday to practice again.
Dustboy    pirate
20/01/2009 at 23:00

Double arseburgers with cheese on, missed me swim coz I flicked the wiper switch on the car and they had frozen, cue bent arms, splines and wiper parked on bonnet. French rubbish.

just got in from strip down of the wiper bits and rebuild, Bah.

21/01/2009 at 00:19
GOM. wrote (see)

If that is the case, why not try and get there a few minutes earlier to just go over what you did in your last lesson. Would be a good way to refresh your memory of both your mind and muscles.

Don't do a massive session just 5 - 10 minutes, this will help you warm up for the lesson, and make you think about the key points from the last session.

Because before my lesson, there's a 'Ladies Only' hour!  I was half in before my first lesson and one of the women told me in no uncertain terms that "it's Women only, thank you very much!"  Needless to say, I haven't even tried to go in early since then!

The lesson was OK tonight, I feel I did well.  The teacher had us swimming virtually non-stop, I was knackered!

21/01/2009 at 06:16

last night's club session:

800m warmup (200m crawl/200m crawl with pull bouy/200m catchups/200m catchups with pull bouy)

500m of technique drills

3 x 400m (200m crawl, 100m backstroke, 100m breaststroke with two leg kicks to 1 arm stroke).

100m fast, 4 x 50m fast , 100m fast, on 10 secs rest.  

600m cooldown, every 3rd length dolphin kick or backstroke. 

Total 3400m

21/01/2009 at 08:23
Colonel, there is a ladies only evening at my pool.  But there is not a men only evening.  I don't understand why women should have the whole place to themselves one evening and the men don't.  It's all a bit stoooopid isn't it?    Why can't anybody just go for a swim when they want to? 
adbru    pirate
21/01/2009 at 08:40

Hi Guys,

Rubbish swim class last night

Due to petty politics at the pool the 'coach' was NFI . There was a program written on the board and we were left to get on with it....

I will miss next weeks class anyway due to night shift but I think I'll get my mates lass (she is a swim coach) to give me a 1on1 lesson next week instead.

I ended up doing about 1k, tried some different stuff (for me), including FC fists and swimming with only one arm - by gum one armed swimmers have my respect !

Adbru

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.