Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

6,001 to 6,020 of 11,562 messages
13/08/2009 at 16:00

Not got time to read back fully - just dashing out, but just to add to the S debate - TI said it was a waste of time at the workshop.

That fulcrum things looks useful.  thanks.

Will check in again later.

Nam
13/08/2009 at 16:19
I tell you that fulcrum thing is the devil's tool. I thought I was going to drown. You may as well have handcuffed me!
Gyraffe    pirate
13/08/2009 at 16:22
Nam wrote (see)
I tell you that fulcrum thing is the devil's tool. I thought I was going to drown. You may as well have handcuffed me!

hee hee - there's another gadget you can tie your feet together with - if that's what you're into!
Nam
13/08/2009 at 16:23
I think Don Fink believes in training with fins. I don't normally. I had all the gadgets but my pirate mentor used a very 'no gadgets' approach to my swim drils (apart from the odd set with a pull buoy). He effectively weaned me off the pull buoy and I think my body position is much better for it... Well Dan thought it was better anyway...
Nam
13/08/2009 at 16:24
Arms in fulcrums and feet tied! You've just described my swim from hell!!!!
Gyraffe    pirate
13/08/2009 at 16:31
I don't use fins either and someone has nicked my pull buoy so it's just goggles and hat for me. I had to swim without a hat a few weeks back and felt really uncomfortable - odd how you get used to things.
13/08/2009 at 16:48
"someone has nicked my pull buoy ".. tell him to get his own!
13/08/2009 at 18:12

Popped out for the arvo, interesting gadget discussion

Fulcrum is what something pivots round I thought, so the see-saw thing would make sense.  Don't quite get how that fits with the hadncuff thingy.

Waff - what's your view on the hand entry discussion please?

13/08/2009 at 19:18

Speaking of gadgets; can anybody recommend some goggles?

13/08/2009 at 20:09

my two faves are:

Aquasphere Seal XP and Zoggs Predator

I've seen a few other people mention these two as good, but tbh it's a highly individual thing and there are plenty of other names that people would find worked for them too.  Unfortunately it's a case of trying pairs until you find what works.  You can sometimes try on pairs at an expo, or borrow a friend's pair

13/08/2009 at 22:15

Hi again.  Still not read all the way back cos I've just spent ages and ages on that swim smooth site!   There is so much that I'm doing wrong or don't understand.  

Nam - did the paddle thingies (on previous page- you know what I mean) help with your swim stroke at all?  I don't mind struggle if I get some gain out of it - the only "toys" I've got are fist gloves but they don't seem to be doing much for me.   I know that I don't get my arm at the right angle and my wrist/hands want to turn in on themselves somehow.  The TI people couldnt work out what I was doing wrong and its a bit of  a sticking point for me but these look like a possible way forward. 

Nam
13/08/2009 at 22:30

SD I didn't like the fulcrum thingie at all, but I only tried it once (it was Rio's) so never persevered with so I couldn't honestly say how beneficial it is.  One 'gadget' I do like are paddles, which help me to get more of a feel for the water.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/swim/9/Speedo_Tech_Paddle/5360039769/

About peeps not knowing why you don't get it right, my shoulders are very mobile and sometimes my arm just isn't where I think or feel it is!!  I overreach but it feels like I reach ahead of my shoulder but I'm in fact way over, so I have to reach wide to go straight if that makes sense.

Re goggles, another vote for Zoggs Predators here.  I have 3 pairs now.

13/08/2009 at 22:36

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Nam.  I tprobably hink my arms are somewhere completely different to where they actually are!  Swimming lessons next week should hopefully help.

Night night all. 

13/08/2009 at 22:54

Evening all. I ventured to the swim session with the tri club again tonight. Once again I was the cr@ppest one there. There were children there too, which was embarrassing. I was the only one who couldn't do the whole face in the water thing.

Anyway, the coach was actually there tonight, so I basically spent the whole session trying to get my face in the water. Sometimes I was kicking while holding a big foam stick thing, then doing one arm at a time using a float, then both arms using the pull buoy. I think it was a big improvement on last time, but I still can't do it properly. I put my head under, breath out, lift head up, splutter, panic, breath half a dozen times and repeat.

24 lengths covered. I think .

I like the look of the snorkel thing. I wonder if one of those would help with my face in water confidence or if it would just add to the breathing problems when not using it.

ImRio    pirate
14/08/2009 at 08:05

Speedy you could just get a normal snorkel to see if it will help you with your face in the water.  But from what you describe it is more a "I can't breathe panic" sort of problem.  Actually when you are swimming you don't lift your head out it is more a turn to the side under the arm that is going over your head to enter the water.  There is a sort of a bow wave created that allows you to breathe.  And you rotate your whole body not just your head.

24 lengths is great progress though.  Well done

Nam
14/08/2009 at 09:57
mmm...  I'm not sure whether a snorkel is the way to go at this stage or whether it will only add to the problem but just change it to "I can't breathe without the snorkel".  I dunno...  It might help with the face in water issue on the one hand but it won't teach you to breathe to your side.  I see the centre snorkle very much as a training aid, not a teaching aid??  You may be happy in the tri group sessions but personally I made little progress in that setting when I was at that point of just learning to swim.  the added pressure of being the only one who can't do this that or the other really didn't help me and I needed lots of quiet "me time" where I just chipped away with kick boards, getting my face in etc when the pool is quiet and not even think about doing any number of lengths. 
Edited: 14/08/2009 at 09:59
14/08/2009 at 10:36
I agree with Nam. I think it's better to spend time on your own without the pressure of feeling like an idiot surrounded by people who *appear* to be far superior in the water. All that will do is knock your confidence even further. The more time you can manage at the pool, just messing about putting your face in the water, the better.  Just holding on to the edge of the pool with your face in the water will help. Practice exhaling slowly, then raising your head for a breath, before going back in. Relaxation is the key. Once you've got the hang of that, move on to holding a float and gliding along with your face in the water as above. Small steps at a time are best. Just forget about the rest of it for now. That will come in time.
14/08/2009 at 10:54

Wot Nam and angelic said, Speedy.

Take things one step at a time and gradually build up -  focus first and foremost on being more relaxed and confident in the water.  I personally find working on things on my own much more helpful as you can do things in your own time, although the improvers class I went to this week was a much more useful level of instruction for me than the swimfit session I went to the week before.

But if, as far as lessons are concerned, you've only got the option of going to swim sessions with lots of other people who are "better" at it than you, it'll only knock your confidence and put unnecessary pressure on you.  You don't sound ready to be "pushed" quite in that way at the mo.

Plus, it could also be detrimental to your technique if your focus is more on keeping up with other people in the group.

I'm sure you'll improve really quickly - you sound like you've got enough base fitness and natural speed (if that's the right term) - so please don't get disheartened about where you're at right now.

I've found that quietly working on swim technique in small steps - including the breathing element - actually builds momentum, and I've probably improved more quickly than I would have done had i just focused on swimming lengths and getting flustered.   Of course, I've still got a long way to go, but I am improving, and I'm sure you can too.

Gyraffe    pirate
14/08/2009 at 12:23

Speedy Goth - just adding my voice to the others - one step at a time and all that. The other thing you could do is practice just bobbing under the water and holding your nose - ie - sit on the pool floor and have a look around and pop back up. Maybe separate "putting-face-in-the-water" from "swimming" as things to work on at different times.

Bear - I think the main thing is to really know what you are actually doing - it's one thing to 'think' you're going in six inches from your ear - but are you?  I have a wide arms drill where I reach as far to the side as possible - I hardly ever hit the ropes with my hand so I know my entry can't be as wide as it feels..... er , if you know what I mean.

ImRio    pirate
14/08/2009 at 12:26

I echo what Waff has said.  Thinking you are doing something and actually doing something can be miles apart.

When I did a Swim for Tri day where we were video'd.  How it felt like I was swimming and the reality were definitely different.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.