Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

6,041 to 6,060 of 11,788 messages
WildWill    pirate
04/08/2009 at 13:52
Started to try and work on my speed (im a bit of a one pace swimmer)

Did a short interval session at lunch time, did: -

2 x (5 x 100m on 2:00) with 2 mins rest after both sets
Drills to warm down
Gyraffe    pirate
04/08/2009 at 13:59

Bedders - I get that if I do a long steady swim but not with drills and intervals. So I think it's to do with having your head under the water for a long time. I get a drippy nose for the rest of the day. [After a lake swim I get super-snot which is thick but clear and just has to be snorted into the nearest hedge.] I've tried taking an antihistamine for the runny nose but can't remember if it works.

mellifera    pirate
04/08/2009 at 14:09

beconase! it works a treat. i used to use an antihistamine but it's not nearly as effective. couple of squirts before you swim.

beconase is a corticosteriod so it is actually banned (though as i understand it corticos don't have performance enhancing effect but are banned principally because they can be used as masking agents for anabolic steriods which are PEDs.

without it i find my nose is blocked for at least 24 hours and i sneeze a lot. i think it's mainly the chemicals they put in the pool though muddy/algae rich water causes the same problem.

Edited: 04/08/2009 at 14:09
Bedders..    pirate
04/08/2009 at 14:13

Gyraffe - Exactly - it's the long swims with no intervals that are worse.

Meli - Many thanks, I will try the Beconase option as it is really driving me mad.

WildWill    pirate
04/08/2009 at 14:42
OOPS ... i use beconase ... get it on script for bad alergies also with strong anti hists
Edited: 04/08/2009 at 14:42
04/08/2009 at 15:52

Sorry Peeps for not popping in sooner but have been busy with running and biking.

Lots and lots of news here and it seems everyone has made progress.  Well done! *pats everyone on back*

First time back in the pool for me since Friday and am pleased to report that I did 20 lengths again.  This time I swam my length and then rested til it was 2 mins after I had started that particular length.  That meant if I put in a fast length then I had a little extra rest time.  It also means that, on average, I cut my rest time down by about 15 secs.  Am chuffed with myself today ( and was yesterday too as I managed 5k run without stopping - hurrah!)

04/08/2009 at 20:07

Great stuff, Schmunkee, on the swimming and running!! You'll storm home at Nantwich!   I'm assuming the biking is also going well here... lol 

I ran tonight. Felt ok after the niggling pain I experienced on Friday night. I'm hoping it was something and nothing - and not be the precurser to more injury strife.

04/08/2009 at 20:34

My lesson last night was a little disappointing, we had a stand in teacher and she didn't really help much.  I just pressed on with the drills given to me by SFT.

Went back to the pool today, tried to do 400M then drills but struggled with a few things, and mainly swam it in batches of 100-150M.  It just wasn't clicking into place today, at one point had to stop mid lenght as I just started to cough for no obvious reason.  Still manged the 400 in 14-15 mins so not to disheartened as I had a few rests.  I want to get it consistently under 13mins by the time I do my Tri, and I still feel on target to do this.  I have put this down as a bad session, focussed on drills, and will press on tomorrow.  I ouldn't swim 100m continously a week and a half ago so this is still progress.

I suffer badly in pools due to the chlorine irritating my sinuses, so I have to use a nose clip, which i dislike.  I might try beconaise beforehand to see if it helps.

04/08/2009 at 21:49
I tried my first swim to bike transition tonight. 400m girly face-out-of-the-water breaststroke (11 mins again) then had less than 5 mins to get dried off and completely changed and up the stairs to spin class. I was wishing I had a sports drink with me. I did try to put my face in the water. I failed miserably and swore at myself a lot.
04/08/2009 at 22:09
CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)
I tried my first swim to bike transition tonight. 400m girly face-out-of-the-water breaststroke (11 mins again) then had less than 5 mins to get dried off and completely changed and up the stairs to spin class. I was wishing I had a sports drink with me. I did try to put my face in the water. I failed miserably and swore at myself a lot.

Don't be too dispondent about the whole face in water thing. Initially, all I did was sit by the shallow steps and blow bubbles in the water with my nose just under. Then I concentrated on breathing out while sticking my face under. As long as i was breathing out, it didn't go up my nose. Othert thing to try is saying " ahhhhhh" as you go into the water. It's an exhale as you say it, so same as breathing out. You'll get there in the end. But for now, 11 mins / 400 m is way faster than loads of people!

Not done swim/bike transitions - usually it's the other way around!! I find it easier to cycle to the gym and then swim. That said, i suppose i get out and then cycle home- albeit with a longer transition.

05/08/2009 at 14:00

Angelic - My biking is ok, but I have Jr S to occupy and amuse during school holidays.  Whilst we can both swim and run along together happily, he is a little too slow on the bike for me, so finding time to bike alone is difficult.  The only available time is at the weekdend, but then I have to share that with Mr S who runs.

CC2 - 11 mins for 400m breaststroke (even if it is heads-up) is more than I could dream for at the mo' so be proud of your achievements.

I will be taking your advice and checking out the drill vids with a view to building them into my training.  I guess it's like running - you don't go out and run the same distance time and again, do you? So it stands to reason that you would do drills etc to improve speed and distance.

Will pop in tomorrow to see how everyone is getting on

TTFN

05/08/2009 at 16:28

Another vote here for Beconaise nasal spray.  I got the recommendation from this thread earlier and find it works a treat!  I get bad sinus congestion from being in the pool too long and also if I get my breathing all wrong and water goes up my nose.  I hate it when that happens - and it hurts.

I did a few finger tip drills yesterday and working on zipper switch.  I had trouble with those on the TI weekend and still not fully grasped it but its hard to see what I'm doing wrong all by myself.  I know what I should be doing, but it doesn't feel quite right.  I don't think I'm leading with my elbow enough.  Will have to get Mr Dragon along to the pool with a video camera I think.

I share the problem of fitting in bike practice. I bike to work every day (6miles) which is a great help but weekends are busy and Mr Dragon likes to do a long run.  And I've got a couple of half marathons coming up too so long bike rides are not happening a the moment.  

But I'm still swimming!

05/08/2009 at 18:37

At the moment, I'm managing to bike to work in the week once or twice (10 mile round trip), as I don't need to drop youngest lil' Angel at school. I try and do a long ride at the weekend, too. Plus I run 3 x week, and swim probably 3 x, and do one weights session. I'm lucky, though, in that my kids are not too young and way too busy to care what i'm doing, plus I don't have a SO to kick off about my busy schedule. There are some advantages to being a sad singleton.  

Swimming was crap this morning, I despair about ever getting the hang of this FC malarkey.

05/08/2009 at 20:43

Angelic - you put me to shame.  I've no kids, now work part time and still don't manage to fit in half as much as you!  Well done.  (makes note - must do more training).

Just like running crap days - we all get swimming crap days (don't we???).  At least you did it - more than I did. 

05/08/2009 at 20:55

SD - Or you could have kids and therefore have an excuse not too train enough.

Went out for run again today, but went on my own.  Wished Jr S was with me as ran too fast and needed to take walk breaks.  When he is with me I naturally slow down to his pace.  Will be swimming tomorrow and will report back.  Not had time to check out the drill vids so will just see if I can cover the distance

05/08/2009 at 21:01

Errm - a bit late for kids for me now.  That time of life!     I passed on that little responsibility in life!

05/08/2009 at 21:13

Sd - Oh well, was worth a try!

05/08/2009 at 22:00

A good excuse to get behind with training though! Although perhaps a little extreme!

WildWill    pirate
06/08/2009 at 06:54
OW swimming tonite for me - coaching my mate
Nam
06/08/2009 at 09:23

Morning all

Little swim for me tonight, before pilates. 
Had a good 2 weeks doing sweet f.a. after Zurich, which I probably needed in my head more than physically, as I didn't do the full race obviously.  Decided to take time to focus on my running a bit more again and toying with the idea of doing Cardiff Half.  Got back into yoga which is doing my tweaky hamstring a world of good by the looks of it. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.