Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

6,061 to 6,080 of 11,788 messages
06/08/2009 at 10:09

Soupy - fee free to adopt my kids on a permanent basis - the 15yr old is polite, excellent at housework, and never asks for money.

I'm full of cold this morning - no idea where i've caught it from?? Nobody around these parts has anything other than piggy flu. I was supposed to run tonight, but now i'm not planning on doing much apart from blowing my nose.

06/08/2009 at 12:31

Afternoon, peeps!

Well done on people's progress so far - sorry I've not really got much time to read back, but I actually should be working on my dissertation right now...

Mixture of general FC, drills and sprints (not very fast ones!) for me this morning.

Here's a question - despite trying to rotate from my hips, I'm still getting a very, very sore neck from swimming, which seems to suggest I'm still twisting my neck too much to breathe.

I've been doing extensions and so on, but because this is done on my side I'm still tilting my head in and out of the water to breathe.

I don't think I'm getting this whole rotation thing right - is there anything else I can do to try and sort it, or should I be rotating more to breathe when I'm doing the extensions?

I'd really like something to help me specifically with learning how to rotate properly from the hips, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd be most grateful!

06/08/2009 at 14:31

LP - Hopefully someone will come along soon and answer your question for you as I am still a complete numpty.

And this was proven this morning with a very bad swimming session.  Some lengths too fast, irregular rest intervals, swallowing water on some lengths, having to stop on others.  A complete and utter muck-up!

On a positive note I have ntoiced that my back cleavage has disappeared and I can now fit into a Speedo cossie with racer back instead of my Tesco number built designed more for sunbathing than swimming.  And my (o)(o) stay put! Bet the 20-something male lifeguard is pleased about that too

Will defo be checking out the drill vids as I am getting bored just covering the distance

Anyone else got any news?

06/08/2009 at 15:43

LP

have a look at the swimsmooth site - has plenty of demonstrations of rotation.  It also has suggestions on why might get a sore neck.  it also has pretty good explanations of most things

Also what do you mean rotate from the hips? Your hips and shoulders (and indeed everything in between) should rotate in the same plane.  

06/08/2009 at 16:58

Thanks bos1 - I'll have a look at that!

Not sure I actually meant "rotate from the hips" exactly; more the entire rotation of the body (or everything that needs to rotate on the same plane, anyway!) rather than just my neck!   Just wasn't entirely sure how to describe it.

Don't worry, Schmunkee - as has been said before, you can have good swims and bad swims just as much as good runs and bad runs.  Overall, you are progressing!

I think having a go at drills would really help you, though - I personally get bored when I'm just swimming lengths and have to mix it up a little!  Give them a try.

Good news about the cossie, though!

06/08/2009 at 17:12
That's a really cool site, bos1 - loads of good stuff
06/08/2009 at 17:38

Glad you find it useful

I think they do a reasonable job of explaining the why.  There is so much stuff out ther but it is not always apparent why somethng should be done.

06/08/2009 at 19:00

20 minutes in fist gloves today.  Don't know how far I went, just rested at the end of every length.  When I took them off swimming felt so easy - but not for long.   Lessons here I come.  Will check that site out shortly though. 

06/08/2009 at 23:01
What do you lot think of the Shaw Method? The fella is offering rather pricey classes at my gym and I wondered if I ought to forego food for a month to pay for a one on one class.
Nam
06/08/2009 at 23:17

Never heard of it Speedy.  Couldn't profess to know anything about it. 

1500m for me tonight (10x100s fast off 3mins; 8x25s extentions, 300m cool down), followed by pilates and weights.

06/08/2009 at 23:22

I seem to recall (could be wrong) that the Shaw method is based on Alexandra technique - wich is all about bodily alignment I think.  Any chance you could do a trial session to see what you think of it?

Lady P - is it possible you're twisting your neck awkwardly? Someone described it to me as keeping your spine in line and just rotating about that, rather than twisting the head out of line with the spine.

Had a fortuittous visit to the gym - just for a chill out tbh but got chattign to someone in the sauna who turned out to be a long distance swimmer and who regularly did coached sessions with a few mates who are triathletes and he invited me along.  WOuld be great to get some feedback as I'm sure I stil have tons to learn.  I realise every time I swim OW just how much faster people go with apparently significantly less effort

Nam
06/08/2009 at 23:24
Alexander Technique surely.
06/08/2009 at 23:39

oops!

here's a link

07/08/2009 at 08:16

Morning all!

Good news about the offer of coaching, Bear!

Hmm, yes, I think I am twisting my neck a bit awkwardly.

I think it's also exacerbated by having to spend hours sitting at a desk looking down over hard-copy journal articles, which means my neck is often in a more awkward position than it is when I'm looking straight in front of me at a height-adjusted PC monitor.

Intriguing stuff about the Shaw method - maybe it would be good to see if they do one-off trial sessions, Speedy, before you jump in and fork out loads of money?

Interestingly, the Alexander technique is something that's often taught in depth at professional music colleges, to help musicians keep better aligned and relaxed when playing, and - if they're playing a woodwind/brass instrument or singing - aid breathing.

I think that one reason I seem to have had fewer difficulties with breathing is because of learning to play the trumpet at school and having singing lessons a few years ago, as well as doing yoga and pilates at various points in my life.

These things require various different breathing techniques, but they all involve controlling the breathing in some way, so I think I've been a lot quicker at getting used to freestyle breathing than some other people.

07/08/2009 at 08:34
it's possible if your neck is bent a lot that the rotational movement could get impaired.  Don't know enough about  Alexander technique to give any serious comment but it sounds plausible that it'd address that sort of thing
07/08/2009 at 10:03
Swimming Without Stress is based on the Shaw Method and the Alexander Technique. I have a book written by them and it's really helpful.  Suppose it depends on how pricey the classes are? And if there are other satisfied customers who can verify that the classes are worth the money?
07/08/2009 at 11:10

I learnt using the shaw method.  It was really, really good, got me over my fear of water and I made more progress in the 6 week course than I had with all the other failed attempts to learn to swim in the previous years.  Unfortunately, they were very expensive so I couldn't keep them up after that course.  But they are good.

I have done nothing exercise wise since tuesday as my house has been taken over by sister in laws kids, but they have now gone and am enjoying the peace at the moment.  Pool and run later

07/08/2009 at 11:40
Anyone here have trouble with goggles getting full of water ?   I'm assuming that it's not normal and I need to get some that fit a bit better - I did pass a shop that sells cheap speedo stuff yesterday and tried on some Speedo Rift  mask thing which seemed to fit well but it's embarassing enough being a crap swimmer at 41 without wearing that.
Nam
07/08/2009 at 11:43
Pops I think goggles are such an individual thing.  Like I know people who swear by Aquaspheres but they didn't fit my face at all.  I have some Zoggs Predators which I love.  It's a bit of trial and error.  I had goggles where I've tried everything but you just can't get a good seal.  I think there is no way around trying a few brands and eventually you'll find a pair that works for you. 
JD.    pirate
07/08/2009 at 11:45
pops - the aquasphere seal xp ones (or their latest version) are fantastic.  they're your full facemask type ones so you end up looking like a dick though.  better than emptying your goggles all the time.  also there's the blueseventy range of goggles.  they sit in your eye sockets and i've found them to be watertight for me.
JD.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.