Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

6,081 to 6,100 of 11,788 messages
07/08/2009 at 12:09

My googles are mostly water tight, but I always end up with indentations around my eyes, thus making it look like I haven't slept for a week for hours after i've left the pool. Is this normal? Or are they too tight? (If i loosen them off, they leak!)

Shiva - how expensive was the 6 week course you did?

07/08/2009 at 12:38
Angelic - I can't remember exactly, something like £180 for small group lessons.  It was also in a lovely pool in NW london, so much nicer than the council one that I now swim in.  I don't know if the goggle marks is right or not, but I get it too.  I use TYR goggles which are great.
ImRio    pirate
07/08/2009 at 12:52
JD I had one of those Aqausphere masks that I just didn't get on with at all - gave me a headache.  Tried a zoggs mask and didn't get on with that.  As Nam says it is just like everything else it is trial and error - unfortunately an expensive way to go.  I also have Zoggs predator goggles that I love but have tried other models in their range and they haven't worked so well
07/08/2009 at 13:41

Shiva - ouch at the price! But if they did the job, then it was money well spent.

I guess goggle marks are par for the course. Just not a good look really.  They were only cheap ones, though, so I might try a different pair to see if it makes any difference.

ImRio    pirate
07/08/2009 at 13:43
Angelic I get goggle marks that stay with me most of the day.  You are a triathlete - don't worry about it  
07/08/2009 at 14:05
lol - good point!!
07/08/2009 at 18:23

Hi everyone.  A good swim day for me today - 500m non-stop.    It took me over 13 minutes (13.40) .    But I got my breath back very quickly and 1min later set off for 100m bs followed by a final100 fc.  I don't think my stroke was very smooth, I took on a bit of water and was aware of quite a lot of splashing, but hey, I did it!

Lots of good clips and links on here over the last few days. Thanks! 

Goggles - I've got the big face mask type things but do feel a bit of a dib in them, so don't wear them very often.  But they are very comfortable apart from making everything look yellow. 

Swimming lessons are so expensive.  I've just been quoted £170 for 10 1:1 sessions of 30mins. 

07/08/2009 at 20:41

Thanks for the feedback folks, I might have to give it a go. Sadly there are no 'taster' sessions. The prices (for me with member discount) are £35 for 30 mins, £45 for 45 mins or £55 for 60 mins. There are some group classes that run over a set number of weeks but I wouldn't be able to make to them all as they're either when I'm at work or on friday nights including ones I'll be away for races.

It's a hell of a lot of money though isn't it! I dread to think what it costs for non-members.

07/08/2009 at 20:58
pops - as others have said it's individual - I have predators and the seal XP's and both I find good, but that's not to say they'd work for you.  I tend to be quite picky about things like pressure round the eyes due to an eye problem from a few years back, and both the above have a good soft seal on them. Then again I have hear people praise other models, so ultimately it's trial and error.  If you can get to some sort of expo then they may have pairs you can at least partially try - see if the suction will hold them onto your face without support.
08/08/2009 at 13:56

Afternoon splashers,

Weird swim for me today, the pool was rammed and I foundi ti difficult to get into any rythym, I kept coming into contact with other people.  Manged  several sets of 4 lengths and finished with a slow 10 continous, no idea about times though.  

Have a good weekend all

08/08/2009 at 14:19

This thread continues to give intersting hints and tips.  Thanks

No swimming for me as I did a long bike ride with Mr and Jr S yesterday.  We cycled from Bath to Bristol and back again.  Jr S dictated the speed so I was not pushing it but I was still 'exercising' for more than three hours.

Had a little splash in the pool tis morning but no real swimming - that's scheduled for Tues

Keep up the good work, Peeps

08/08/2009 at 14:35

Yeah I find rhythym is a big part of swimmming, I think I'm going to struggle with a mass start.  Even with just one person close by I always wonder if we're going to clash.  I guess you just get used to it as you do it more.

I did some of the swimming with one arm on one side drills from TI (sort of).  Still find it hard to get my head high enough to breathe without twisting the body as wel as the neck

08/08/2009 at 16:42

Hi,

I recently started swimming again after not swimming other than a dip in the sea for many, many years.  I finding it okay.  The one thing I am really struggling with is breathing while swimming crawl.  From this thread I've checked out a few of the U-tube swimming coaching things and they've been quite useful.  But, they say you should breathe on every third stroke.  I find it very difficult to breathe to the left (i'm right handed which might have a bearing) and usually end up with a mouth and lungs full of water.  This really messes up my rhythm.  I've also found I'm more likely to get water in my goggles while breathing on the left and this makes me worry about losing a contact lens and then being unable to see!!

Does anyone have any tips on how to train myself to breath on both sides?

Thanks

08/08/2009 at 16:46

I'm right handed too but actually find it easier to breathe to the left.  I struggle on the right hand side but the only thing I can suggest is practice.  I get the impression I'm less well balanced when swimming with my right side up which is why I find it harder to breathe to that side, which is why I'm doing side swimming drills, but I may have the wrong idea.  Might be worth investing in a few coached sessions to see if a coach can spot any flaws that could easily be put right.

While it's probably not ideal as it's less flexible, you could alternate swimming 2's and 4's so that you're breathing roughly as often.  My ideal is breathing every third stroke but in practice I don't, I tend to breathe when I feel I need to - not so I'm desperate for air though or else I end up having to do several breathe on 2's in a row - which works but I think is probably less efficient

08/08/2009 at 16:49
You're probably right, I do need to practise.  I'm not a serious swimmer and can't really afford a coaching session.  I might try next time I go to swim a few lengths of slow crawl only breathing on the left to see if I can get used to it.
08/08/2009 at 18:13

I decided to have a go in the pool in the gym attached to the running shop I sometimes work in today. It's 24m. What the heck is that about????  So I did 18 lengths (432m) of girly breaststroke with my face out of the water then spent some time at the side of the pool just trying to put my face in. They have floats there so next I did 2 lengths of kicking followed by a length of kicking whilst attempting to put my face in the water. Then two lengths of using just one arm to do crawl with the other on the float, face out of the water. Then one last length of kicking and trying to put my face in the water.

I'm finding that I put my face in, breathe out then lift up again and I'm gasping and spluttering. I have to catch my breath again before I can put my face back in. What am I doing wrong?

Anyway, it's progress as this time 2 weeks ago I could barely manage to put my face in the water at the side of the pool.

08/08/2009 at 18:38

CC2 -  based on my own experiences, it sounds like you're just tense. Try breathing out slowly (whilst holding the float) and just relax until you need to lift your head for a breath. If you need to keep your head up for a couple of breaths, do so, then repeat. Aim for a relaxed feeling when you're underwater.  Sounds like you're making progress however!

I had a swimming lesson this morning (£20 / 30 mins). I found out that i'm outting my head too far in-i need to rais it slightly until the water is at my eye brows. This allows me to breathe easier. Or it would do if i could just master that bit!! My breathing / swimming co-ordination is all over the place and it's something I need to practice. The teacher reassured me that i'm not the worst student she's ever had anyway.

Nam
09/08/2009 at 12:42
Soup Dragon wrote (see)

Hi everyone.  A good swim day for me today - 500m non-stop.    It took me over 13 minutes (13.40) .   

Absolutely nowt wrong with that.  Well done!!!
09/08/2009 at 13:06

09/08/2009 at 16:43

That's a great time SD, well done.  Wish I could get to that stage/speed.

I did 400m today in 14 minutes, but had lots of rests between sets of 2 or 4 lengths.  If i could get  into a rythym earlier in the session I would probably go faster, but it takes a few lenghts before I can relax.  Once i'm relaxed it isn't too bad and I don't need to rest after every 4. Trying to minimise the rest breaks, but still haven't progressed beyond 10 continous yet. I find other people a bit of a problem too, the lanes are very narrow and we were all 4 or 5 people per lane today, and kept getting kicked/hit which broke my concentration/rythym.  I intend to go very early tomorrow to hopefully avoid the crowds.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.