Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

6,101 to 6,120 of 11,788 messages
09/08/2009 at 17:07
I had intended to go to a swim session with the tri club this afternoon, but I slept in so only got out for my 16 mile run at 12.30. At 3pm I was still stretching and realised there was no way I'd have time to get home, get swimming kit and get to the leisure centre for 4pm. Plus I was a bit knackered anyway. So instead I went and ordered a new carpet for my bedroom. Good job I did, the special offer ends on tuesday so I've saved £50 by ordering now. Nil points for the swim though.
09/08/2009 at 17:32

Thats a good saving and worth missing a swim for SG

I so love this thread!  My potential swimming coach said I'm really slow and that he can get me to go faster.  I'm a bit worried about that because I'd rather concentrate on distance at this stage.  Thanks for the support folks. 

09/08/2009 at 17:52

I went for a run around midday and it was pants. Nearly didn't go in the first place as it was hot and I hate the heat, but forced myself anyway. After only 2 miles, i was seriously wishing I hadn't bothered. Boy was I relieved when I reached the level crossing and the lights came on. Nice ten minute rest beneath a shady tree. What was supposed to be 7.5 miles ended up being 4.3. Hmm. I blame the cold virus i'm just getting over; I don't think it's out of my system. That and the heat. I much prefer running in the cold and wet!

Went for a swim later on with the kids. Pool wasn't too bad and we spent ages swimming under the water  and messing about. It's annoying how much better swimmers they are!!

Can''t believe it's nearly Monday again. Pah.

09/08/2009 at 20:30

Evening all!

Some good swimming efforts going on right now!  Everyone seems to be learning a lot as well, which is good.

And good call on the carpet, Speedy. A bargain not to be missed!

No swim for me this weekend, but back to running today after a few days' break from exercise.  I've been feeling absolutely exhausted this past week.   Run was crap - 8 miles, but I had to walk 1 one of those to get home up the hill.

(Where I live it's very much a case of "what goes down must come up").

I did go to my GP about a couple of minor, erm, ailments recently and the word "diabetes" was mentioned although quickly dismissed given my age, height, weight, general health etc.  But being the hypochondriac I am I've been Googling a bit too much today.

Probably nothing though - I did have a weird virusy thing a few weeks ago, so it might be that hanging about a bit.  That and the fact I've been trying to fit loads of training in recently whilst being stressed to buggery about my dissertation.

Think I'll satisfy my "worried well" mind and get some of those glucose test strips from the pharmacy before I bother the doc.

Improvers swim lesson tomorrow eveining.   Fingers crossed it goes well.

Edited: 09/08/2009 at 20:30
09/08/2009 at 20:46

LP, sounds like you needed the rest.  My wife gets cyberchondria, google has a lot to answer for here! I hope everything is OK though, as you say its probably a combination of a virus and stress.  What's your dissertation about?

I've just plodded around the block, nice gentle 5k but with a couple of hills thrown in. It's still a little too warm for me. Like you LP, there's always a hill where I live.  Planning on a leisurely bike ride tomorrow am, probably 30-40 miles, then have my swimming lesson tomorrow evening.  

Hope you all had a good weekend

09/08/2009 at 21:07

Hi Shiva

Dissertation has the most pretentious title ever imagined so I won't detail it here.

But it's an investigation into whether/how much commercial knowledge management (or "KM" for short - technology, tools and techniques for creating and sharing knowledge and promoting learning in organisations) can be applied to educational development (innovative teaching design, collaborative projects, e-learning etc) in universities.

Primarily an extended systematic literature review of what research has taken place already, although I'm trying to devise a sort of conceptual framework as my new take on the problem.

I've been really interested in the topic, and have had a really ace year doing this MSc (best decision I ever made to leave my crappy job and do it, even in these economically-straitened times ) but now I'm missing the social interaction of working with people on a daily basis, and finding it difficult to only have myself to rely on to get things done.  Also missing having an income.

Just need to motivate myself for the final push!

Then I need to find a job...

Right - gettting tired now.  Might slowly get myself ready for bed...

Night all!

09/08/2009 at 21:23

Good luck lady P - I won't even pretend to understand any of that, but hope you get well soon.

I've done a lovely 10k race today.  Now just pleasantly tired.

09/08/2009 at 22:48

It does sound interesting Lady P, I work in education and am responsible for aspects of educational develpoment such as e-learning, teaching design etc.  I have a cycle route planned for tomorrow a.m should be about 23 miles, with the option of adding a little extra loop in to take me to 32 miles.  Will see how I feel at the time.

Night all

10/08/2009 at 08:38

Morning folks

Well done on the 10k race SD

Good luck on the bike ride, Shiva - it's raining here, but hopefully that won't affect you! 32 miles is a decent ride.

LP - your dissertation sounds very intellectual! I hope it helps you find a well paid job.  I'd love to go back and study again, but it's the cost that prevents me. As a single parent, I can't afford not to work, and although I looked into the OU, i already have a degree so would have to pay the fees. Maybe if I meet some rich, generous bloke one day,  I might reassess my position.

Swimming tonight. Got to work nice and early as had to drop eldest at her summer job for 8am. I was going to cycle in, but acting as taxi put paid to that. But my legs feel dead anyway. After yesterdays disastrous run, I think they're telling me they need a rest...

ImRio    pirate
10/08/2009 at 08:48

Sppedy goth I think as Angelic says you are probably just tense, and anticipating not being able to breathe.  Persevere and as you become more accustomed to having your head in the water you will relax and it will get easier.  Well done on going for it though and you can do breaststroke in tri it is just that it becomes hard work on your legs (particularly in a wetsuit which isn't designed to move that way)

If you all have to have a weak discipline then swimming is the one for it to be!  You can more than make up on the bike the minutes you are slow in the swim.

10/08/2009 at 09:12

Speedy - well done on getting the face in the water.  That was one of my main obstacles t overcome and it gives you a sense of achievement to do, doesn't it.

I went to the pool over the weekdn but that was for what I call a 'paddle' ie me and my son just mess around, no proper training altho...

Did go in outdoor pool (20m) and do two consecutive lengths and later went in indoor pool (25m) and did four lengths with 60 sec interval

ImRio    pirate
10/08/2009 at 09:55
See schmunkee you are doing just fine and will be set to sail at Nantwich
10/08/2009 at 10:25
Sorry not my page as I swim like a fish.

Looking for contenders Skye to Inverness.........run cycle swim kayak etc.........see me forum

Skye to Inverness 2010.

Could swim 50 meters in 23 sec 1974..........never beaten..........Oh I was quick.........
ImRio    pirate
10/08/2009 at 10:29
Then definitely not your page Paul.  No show offs allowed!
10/08/2009 at 10:34
Just stating a fact.

Sloweee
Nam
10/08/2009 at 10:38

Don't you think the title was a bit of a giveaway...

Anyway... back to business...

ImRio    pirate
10/08/2009 at 10:38
I am actually not that slow but like to give constructive advice rather than brag
10/08/2009 at 10:50

Rio - all advice is welcome so thanks!! Besides, competent swimmers give the rest of us something to aspire to! 

SG - re: face in water: something I tried at the pool yesterday might help you -it was to push out with arms together and forward, kicking with legs. The aim was to go as far as possible with my face in the water (it was a competition with my boy). I held my breath for as long as possible, then exhaled slowly under water. The exercise has nothing to do with swimming exactly, but it was good for getting nice and relaxed while gliding along. After a couple of goes, i could do a width like that and i was quite comfortable about watching the tiles beneath me slide by. Getting a breath no longer became a priority, which was helpful.

Anyway, back to work...  

10/08/2009 at 10:53
sounds like a useful exercise angelic, IMO relaxation is really beneficial and I suspect an issue for a lot of people trying to improve
ImRio    pirate
10/08/2009 at 10:56

Fantastic Angelic and finding what works for you is half the battle.  A great exercise though.  Well done.  And good advice for those finding it difficult.

Staying where you can put your feet down while learning to breathe with your face in the water helps.  If you can do widths then that is a great way of building confidence before you are faced with a full length

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.