Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

6,141 to 6,160 of 11,788 messages
10/08/2009 at 14:41

*de-lurks and peers round the corner*

Has that horrible man gone?  It's people like 'im who shatter my diminishing confidence in this 'ere swimmin' lark.  I don't need people coming on here to express how fantasmogorical they are when I am having difficulty doing two continuous lengths.  I can make myself feel enough of a numpty without anyone else's help

Anyway, forgot to mention this morning that I have also now got a weight training routine to see if strengthening shoulders, back, arms, and legs will help.  Ok, it prob won't help me for Nantwich but hopefully it will help me in the future (esp if I don't end up looking like the Incredible Hulk!)

10/08/2009 at 14:46

SG - I endorse Angelic's suggestion of relaxation.  Altho I am nowhere near to being relaxed as I should be, I am a lot better than I used to be.  I am gonna give A's arms forward, head, down, exhale a go tomorrow to see if I can relax more.

I have tried the technique in the TI book where you lie on your back and try to float doing nothing other than slowly move your feet and am able to do that gor a while.  A few months ago I would not have dared to go on my back as I always thought the weight of my bum would pull me down .  Now I know the water can support my weight I am a little more relaxed.

mellifera    pirate
10/08/2009 at 14:59

I've just got a wetronome. Anyone tried them?

I've decided that at least part of the reason I don't swim very fast is that I'm not swimming fast enough! I think if I can increase my stroke rate a little it might help. Will be trying it out tomorrow.

No need to feel inferior Schmunkee - there's a lot of people in the world you are much better swimmers than we are - get used to it! You don't need to feel bad about where you are. And for floating, your bum is your friend! Strength training for swimming should be specific - don't do lat pull downs  - that reinforces dropping elbow. Do do things for your rotator cuffs and scapular stabilsers.  On the whole it's swimming that is going to build up the strength you need to swim.

10/08/2009 at 15:02

Aww Schmunkee  -have faith in how much you've already achieved. You can swim a little, so that's a start! This time next year you'll be doing OW swims for miles! Well, maybe not MILES, but you get my drift.  We all have to start somewhere, and the important thing is, you ARE making progress. As we all are in one way or another.

Weights are good. My physio said it was good to do at least one session a week. Helps to strenghten the muscles used in running, swimming etc. I was reading last night that press-ups and pull-ups are great from triceps and lats that are used in FC. Pity i can't actually do more than about 3 or each  

Floating on your back, then kicking along gently, is relaxing. I enjoy that. About the one thing i'm really good at!!

Nam
10/08/2009 at 15:10

Melli,

Many thanks for that.  Among my many hypermobile parts my left shoulder is one of them, but I keep my physio so busy with my legs I've never bothered him with the other half.  LOL...  I knew my rotatorcuffs but had no idea where scapular stabilisers were and looked it up.

In case anyone else is similarly anatomically challenged...    http://www.sports-injury-info.com/shoulder-rehab-exercises-strength.html

mellifera    pirate
10/08/2009 at 15:16

those look good Nam. It's probably the same as some of the other stuff you are doing - fairly small movements. There's another one you can do which is like a press-up but don't bend your elbows - so you just dip only as far as the movement in your shoulder joint allows.

10/08/2009 at 15:23
just went to the pool, it was rammed. Part of the problem here in NW London is that there are no pools anymore. Got hit in the face twice by a woman doing bacjstroke who was meandering across the lane. I just tried to focus on arm recovery and rotation, but will do more drills tonight in my lesson.

Don't worry schmunkee, loads of time to get ready for Nantwhich, wish I was able to do that one as well, but am away that weekend. Don't worry about what other people say or do, it'll be your race and you will be a triathlete!
10/08/2009 at 16:04

One thing that nice Mr Scoffield omits to mention is that in 1974, 23 seconds for a 50m swim was inside the world record.  So perhaps his "facts" aren't as factlike as he might like others to think.

On the stroke rate thing - I'm always amazed how slow the stroke rate is of people who can go past me very quickly. I can go faster if I stroke quicker, but I couldn't keep it up for long.  Intersting to hear other perspectives on it though. The shoulder stability thing makes sense, I've often come out of the lake with a sore left shoulder, and it seems to bean issue on the bike too, so I'm doing rotator cuff stuff too. Therabands are good for this as well - and you get more benefit from eccentric movements, so stretching the band and then controlling the rate at which it can contract.  so for instance tie one to a door handle, elbow in to the side, and internally rotate by moving the hand across the body stretching the band, and also controlling the movement back to the starting point.The one melli mentions - the mini push ups, is another good one

ImRio    pirate
10/08/2009 at 16:13
The One and Only XFR Bear wrote (see)

One thing that nice Mr Scoffield omits to mention is that in 1974, 23 seconds for a 50m swim was inside the world record.  So perhaps his "facts" aren't as factlike as he might like others to think.

Maybe he really meant minutes
10/08/2009 at 16:26
I did think it would be pushing WR speed but couldn't be bothered to check.  I have a brother who makes similar wild claims, wonder if it's him?
10/08/2009 at 16:28
maybe it's D2D in another guise
10/08/2009 at 16:35

Mr S - I'm still waiting for your pearls of wisdom on the cr@p cyclist and cr@p runners threads too! 

10/08/2009 at 18:45

Went for a swim tonight and decided to time myself doing 400m BS. I clocked 12.5 mins! Woo hoo! Ok, so it isn't FC, but at least I won't be last in the pool swim at Derby in Sept. I was kinda worried about that...

Didn't know there was a cr@p runners thread too? Hell, i'll get over there now!

10/08/2009 at 18:53

Oooh, that fella was a bit uppity wasn't he?! I wasn't even born in 1974 so I don't care how fast he was then.

Thanks Angelic, I'll give that a go next time I'm at the pool next to my saturday job (the one at the gym has no floats).

It hadn't occured to me that it could be a problem until I read Nam's post above, but I have a hypermobile spine. Basically the top part of my spine is too straight - the vertebrae are too close together and have a nasty habit of trapping nerves on the right side as my right shoulder is also lower and further forward than my left, this results in pain down the back of my arm. Sometimes the vertebrae lock up and cause my rhomboid and trapezius muscles to go into spasm. I've lost a lot of running training to the spasms over the past year and a half. After a BS swim I get nagging pains in my rhomboid but I'm hoping (praying) that when I learn to do crawl it will help rather than hinder.

10/08/2009 at 20:08

Well done Angelic, wish I could breaststroke as well but sadly FC is all i've got.  I don't care if i'm last out of the water anyway, i'll catch people on the bike and on the run.  My sole aim is to complete the swim.

He was a bit uppity CC2, just another troll trying to wind us up.

10/08/2009 at 21:53

Trolls make me laugh!  I try not to feed them but its hard sometimes.  I just can't take them serious.

Now where were we before we were so rudely interupted - oh yes, good swimming everyone!

11/08/2009 at 09:02

Morning splashers,

Had a nice 400m swim at the pool this morning, took me about 14 mins but had plenty of breaks.  I need to learn to keep going, i'm sure I don't need to stop I just do.  Am swimming in sets of 4 though, so the breaks are getting less frequent.  Swam without my nose clip today, and I found it more relaxed but had bad sinus pain after.  Not sure which is preferable really.

Happy swimming everyone

Nam
11/08/2009 at 09:29

Morning splashers.

Missed my swim this morning...  was a bit too  so the duvet won!! 

>raps knuckles<

JW
11/08/2009 at 09:30

Morning

I keep dipping into this forum & took someones recommendation to look at the dvd from the total immersion people - I can endorse this recommendation I have done 10 lengths this morning & feel like I am really getting somewhere. 

I will feel so great when I can do the 400m in 14 mins pretty impressive stuff Shiva.

Good swimming

TR
11/08/2009 at 09:37
dont forget to watch the TI clips on Youtube too.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.