Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

6,141 to 6,160 of 11,562 messages
26/08/2009 at 18:59
Thanks Mouse, next time I swim i'll be making like a food processor.
26/08/2009 at 19:01

I'm sorry, I wasn't much help.

However, from what you describe, you don't talk much about your feel for the water.  

26/08/2009 at 19:07
"feel" for the water? It's wet and usually cold that's about it isn't it? This swimming lark is too technical.
26/08/2009 at 21:11

Just got my info through for Monday's tri. There are two separate transition points. Sounds like chaos in the making!

Quotes from the destructions:

T1 - I recommend that you keep your goggles with you (wrap them round your handlebars or something) as you may struggle to find them afterwards.

Cycle - No-one will be disqualified for going through the lights on red.... but you are responsible for your own safety.
Take care here as there may well be innocent members of the public using it.

Run - Beware of the sheer cliffside below to your right.

The aftermath - any collapsing must be done in the designated collapse area.

26/08/2009 at 22:20

Bee - I suffered with ITBS for 4 months, so you have my sympathy. Every time i tried running whilst it was inflamed, i set myself back. I had to wait until i was pain free completely before running again. Patience is the key.

Speedy - the tri sounds...ahem...dangerous! Not sure I like the "sheer cliff" comment. Where exactly are you doing it? Beachy Head?? Good luck!

Nam
26/08/2009 at 22:21
Mousey that sounds a bit like vertical sculling?
26/08/2009 at 23:00

SG - That must be a spoof!  If not - good luck!!!!

Agree on rest for ITB - and a foam roller. 

I'm sure that sculling is really good Mouse, but I can't visualise it al!  Will do a google tomorrow I think.  Thanks anyway.  My catch is non-existant as I'm too busy thinking about breathing, arm entry, keeping my legs up, head down but not underwater etc etc.  Another lesson tomorrow so will see what that brings.

27/08/2009 at 18:37
I went to the pool again this morning. Warmed up then did 4x400m with a pool bouy and I can confirm that when I relaxed and didn't give it too much thought I fairly cruised along surprised at how easy it was and I felt what can only be described as "ripples" along my lower body when I assume I was doing it right. However when I tried looking at what my arms were doing, trying to see the hand entry shape, making sure the wrists didn't put the brakes on etc. it all went to pot again. I do feel as though progress is being made. I cooled down with an easy 400m without pool bouy and I felt really good. Thanks for the tips/help etc.
27/08/2009 at 20:54

No spoof. Sadly it's real. It's in Matlock.

Another tri club session today. 4 x 25m warm up, 8 x 25m kicking with board, 8 x 25m one arm with board, 8 x 25m full stroke, 4 x 25m cool down. I must have done 5 or 6 lengths of full stroke with bilateral breathing without messing it up. I was well chuffed! Had to stop for a rest at the end of each length though!

Then I had a go at their run session. Running after swimming is impossible! I was completely bloated and full of pool water. I couldn't breathe and had no energy at all. Not a good sign for monday's tri.

27/08/2009 at 21:10

If I remember right, there are some steep hills in Matlock - big enough for a cable car to go up!  Beware the steep drop to your right indeed!!  Good luck - keep us posted.

Swimming lesson #2 today.  I kick too wide so have to practice a flutter kick.  My arm cadence is still really slow.  Had me doing lengths of increased cadence and I'm now shattered.  As my arms go faster my technique goes completely so I do wonder how much benefit I'm getting, but I think he's concerned that my super slow arm rate has become ingrained and so need to re-train my muscle memory before moving on.

29/08/2009 at 18:24

One of  These (tempo trainer) arrived in the post this morning.  Ordered it on Thursday from Amazon so pretty good service.

29/08/2009 at 22:32

That looks interesting, SD - I like gadgets!

I had a swimming lesson this morning. Went ok I think. Still haven't mastered the stroke, but I can see that i'm improving albeit slowly. Onwards and upwards!

Good luck with the tri speedy

30/08/2009 at 16:24
Speedy goth- I am doing the same triathlon tomorrow in Matlock.the instructions did make me laugh and get a little worried.a bargain price though
30/08/2009 at 17:55

Afternoon!

Just dropping by, having a brief break from dissertation (less than 2 days to go!!!!!).

...no swimming for me recently (too much work to do, and too tired) but I have found out I am not diabetic or hypothyroid , although I am now having to take iron tablets and they still haven't diagnosed anything definite (one iron test was fine, the other wasn't, but I'm sort of confused about what that means).

I've still got to see the GP in a week or so though as they're not sure what's causing the iron deficiency, and there's all the other symptoms to consider - I'm happy at least that they're doing their best to try and find out what the problem is.

I also have a job interview next Friday for a research post my dissertation supervisor recommended I applied for, so fingers crossed!

Anyway, best get back to it - good luck to everyone doing Matlock tomorrow, and to everyone else, keep up the good work!

31/08/2009 at 13:04
I'm a triathlete! Failed to swim properly though - panic set in and I did 95% of it breast stroke with my head out of the water. No idea of my swim time yet but total time was 80.08.
31/08/2009 at 13:06
Woohoo!  Well done Speedy!
31/08/2009 at 19:34

Remember that my race instructions advised runners to beware the sheer cliff on the run. This is it:

http://www.old-picture.com/europe/pictures/Matlock-High.jpg

No wonder the run seemed to be vertical! Though we obviously ran up a trail, not the actual cliff.
31/08/2009 at 19:41
Wow well done Speedy.  I could never run up a hill like that, trail or not - and especially off the bike.  A beautiful setting though. 
31/08/2009 at 19:45

There were some monsters on the bike ride too. One was so steep I had to get off and push!

At least the pool was flat!

Edited: 31/08/2009 at 19:45
31/08/2009 at 20:11
I also did Matlock tri today was very hilly was awsome coming downhill for the last three mules on bike.the run was a but of a killer(not sure it was 3 miles).thought it was Well worth the money though not having numbers, no proper transitions took bit of getting used to.thought it was well organised though
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.