Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

6,141 to 6,160 of 12,932 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
21/04/2009 at 21:26

When we last did a 1000m TT 6 weeks ago I swam 25:04, which was then my PB.

Tonight I swam 23:20 for a massive PB! Am over the moon. May not seem like much to the speedy swimmers on here but to me it represents success after a lot of hard work. Shows my training is going in the right direction.

IronNina    pirate
21/04/2009 at 21:58
Really well done UI, that's a brilliant effort
OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
21/04/2009 at 22:03

thanks for the advice on lap counters - i'll look them out. 

I was a (lost) swimmer for the last x years.  I am currently swimming 1500m -> 1900m for a 1/2 iron man in 9 weeks, with the aim to do 4k for an IM next year.

At the moment I am just trying to be happy doing a distance of 2k....

----------------------------------------------------

Anyone swim in the serpentine?? for £20 a year this looks a bargain compared to the £4.40 a go at my local (rubbish)  25m pool.

Is it recommended before I shell out my money?

WildWill    pirate
22/04/2009 at 06:42
Well don IronWolf ... a great time and PB
WildWill    pirate
22/04/2009 at 06:43
I cant believe people pay for Open Water swimming
22/04/2009 at 21:19

Ta, Will.

Pay for OW swimming? You gotta be kidding. At our local lake we pay 1 Euro for parking, that's it.

23/04/2009 at 22:21

Swimming?

I had my first swimming lesson yesterday. Knackered me it did. I was so tired cycling home that I had to stop peddling and just coast for a bit.

Still, I learnt quite a bit, just hope I can remember some of it. My back crawl is noticeably faster and my front crawl is noticeably more tiring, esp on the legs which I just used to drag behind me for the most part.

I'm a very slow swimmer, I usually swim 3.5k at a rate of 1.5k/hr. Will be nice to improve on this. Maybe just drown all the children in the pool so that I can have a clear run at it.

I don't think that I will manage to read all the posts in this thread - any good sites that I should visit for hints and tips? Any advice on tri's for the uninitiated?

Edited: 24/04/2009 at 17:53
28/04/2009 at 21:21

first outdoor swim of the year tonight, was a bit chilly! Managed most of my planned 3000m session but did my swim down in the indoor pool as was getting a headache out in the cold. Next time I'll take my wetsuit and neoprene cap, good practice.

200m warm up
400m with pull bouy, mix of drills (fingertips, fists, zippers, breathing2nd/3rd strokes).
6 x 100m fast
2 x 800m steady swim
400m easy swim down

when I first went outside there were only 2 people in the water but by the time I climbed out there were about a dozen hardy souls.

WildWill    pirate
29/04/2009 at 08:59
Gud stuff ... only another week or so before i start my OW swimming
WildWill    pirate
29/04/2009 at 13:18
short lunch time session again for me

did 4 x 400m
Including a 400m TT in 7:00
Nam
29/04/2009 at 13:32

I thought I might rejoin this thread.   Making a bit of progress these days.

This morning:

• 800 warm up
  • 16x50 kick/pull alternate
  • 50 catch-up + 200 easy x3
  • 8x50 easy/max alternate
  • 400 cool down

= 3150m in 1:28, but the kick laps in there obviously slowed down the proceedings a bit.

Gyraffe    pirate
29/04/2009 at 13:56

Good sesh Nam. You're putting folks to shame

Yesterday's swim (after aborted effort to get into a wetsuit with broken zip )

500m mixed drills warmup
8x100m off 2.30 with pull buoy
400m drills
200m warmdown

Total 1900m in 50 minutes.

19/05/2009 at 16:44

HI all

Had a few months off swimming really, so last week I went t o the pool and my goodness you lose it!  Went again today, did 24 lengths and my aim is to be able to do front crawl for most, its not happening straightaway you understand! Anyway the last 4 today were fc and thats massive for me  . I just find that because I  haven't been for so long I struggle to breathe for  agood few lengths, it wasn't till the last 8 that I actually started to feel settled.  Is that normal?

19/05/2009 at 16:44
wow nam, that sounds amazing!
19/05/2009 at 19:29

Hi all,

Not been on this thread before but i'm not sure about the crap in the title looking at some of the distances and times on show!

I'm trying to train for my first Oly distance and have manged to self-teach myself crawl.  Today I managed 1500m in 53 mins which is the problem.  i am really pleased with being able to do the distance but i cant seem to speed up.  When i try i just end up coughing and spluttering and coming to a dramatic halt!

Bedders..    pirate
19/05/2009 at 19:55

Hi Slim - that is a great start and don't think it isn't! Self tought? Even better!

Quick question going back to the thread a few months ago - are you trying to breathe every two strokes or every three strokes? Normally if you breath every two it helps......I am not an expert at all but just a question as I found once I did the lattter everything fell into place.

Good luck!  

Bedders..    pirate
19/05/2009 at 19:57

Actually Slim has a point - this is rapidly turning into Bloody Brilliant Swimmers r us and that really is not he intention - this should be for folk who are really just getting the hang of this and not showboaters!

19/05/2009 at 20:45

Hi Bedders,

I breath every other stroke. i tried the bilateral breathing but decided that with everything else to learn it was a step too far!   Also i got speaking to someone who is a very strong swimmer and had just swum 2 miles in the sea and he breathes every other stroke - so my reasoning was - what's good enough for him.........     I realise there will be loads of opinions on this but i see swimming as a means to an end ie to enable me to compete in triathlons and now I'm in my 40's I'm never going to become a brilliant swimmer!

Bedders..    pirate
20/05/2009 at 07:54
Slim, if it's any consolation I am in my late forties and hadn't swum for nearly 30 years when I took it up again last year in prep for a tri. I will never be brilliant but I do know that with effort and practice it does click. We had a good breathing debate on here a few months back to scroll back rather than me going through it all again. It should help and good luck!   
20/05/2009 at 08:06
 Thought Id join as Im doing my first triathlon in about 6 weeks and I am currently doing 400m in about 13mins. My technique is shocking but going to look at different methods and possibly lessons. Hoping to catch people up on the bike and run stages!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.