Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

6,161 to 6,180 of 11,788 messages
11/08/2009 at 09:40

Morning all!

Well done Angelic, Shiva, JW and everyone else who's been working hard!

Naughty Nam! You might have needed the kip though!

As for me - still knackered despite so much rest I'm now completely fed up with resting. No spin classes, weights or running this week and a trip to the doc definitely in order methinks.

I'm sure it's just some kind of post-viral thing, but I really can't seem to get my energy levels up to normal at the mo, and I'm happy enough in myself, sleeping and eating well so it's not depression or anything like that.

Was supposed to go for my usual Monday evening run last night with my two mates who I've been sort of informally "coaching" over the past year or so, but had to sack it off because I really didn't feel up to it.

Did go to the improvers swim class though (pre-paid sessions win out over excursions with friends - how sad).

Focus was backstroke this time. I've never actually learnt to do it properly, so it was really interesting to learn the correct technique.

Have to laugh at my crap kick though - any time when we were working on just the legs I was seriously lagging behing everyone, but the minute the arms were reintroduced I was considerably faster than a lot of the group.

I think it's possibly an example of gym benefits - I've been doing a lot of weights this year, so my back, shoulders and arms are pretty strong (even if I've still got flabby triceps) which means I can generally keep up the pace quite well (for an "improver" at least) just with my upper body.

Still - at least with tri the focus is less on the legs anyway.  Could still do with bending less from the knees though. 

The class was much more helpful than the swimfit one - much fewer lengths swam, but much more work on the stroke itself.

Unfortunately I think they're planning breaststroke for next week (looks like all the different classes work on the same stroke each week, and FC was the first session when I was trying to keep up with the swimfit people!) but there were three of us who'd moved down from the other class and wanted more FC work, and from conversations with the instructor it looks like there may be room for a bit of tailoring.

Bliddy exhausted today though. Almost had to stop to sit on a wall for to catch my breath halfway through my walk to uni - that really isn't normal for me, exercise or no exercise!

Edited: 11/08/2009 at 09:43
Nam
11/08/2009 at 09:48
I think I did need the kip.  I've done a bit of a belated spring sort out and listed half my life on Fleabay (it's so cathartic, plus I have Roth to pay for!!), so I spent too late on the pooter last night responding to questions, listing stuff etc.  I do it once a year and it's amazing how much crap piles up.  For any interested girlies my nearly new Blue Seventy wettie in size WM (women's medium) is going for almost half the money despite having only seen a couple of swims (it never fitted my shape and I since acquired another one).  It was £180 new and is listed for £99 if anyone is interested mail me via RW and I'll send you the linkie which also gives info from the size chart.
11/08/2009 at 10:04

Does sound cathartic, Nam!

Put about the wetsuit - looks like it could be my size (I checked the Blue Seventy size guide) and that's a really good deal you've got going there, but I really don't have £99 spare at the mo.

I'm sure you'll get it sold no probs though!

Anyway, best be off and do some dissertation work...

Bye for now, peeps - happy splashing!  

JW
11/08/2009 at 10:15

Thanks Lady P

It definetely sounds like you need a check up - getting breathless that easy is not normal. 

Sounds like the swimming is going well though & I think been part of class can be encouraging & you get to talk to people!  I do find that when I go to the pool its just full of people going up and down looking like they belong in the water. 

11/08/2009 at 10:18

Morning all

LP - sounds like you are just suffering from a lingering virus. Hopefully a week off will sort you out. No point in pushing yourself when your body is saying "no".  I'm with you on the crappy swim kick though! Mine is just pathetic. I concentrate so much on everything else that i forget to actually kick! Not helpful at all.

Good swim, Shiva Not so good sinus pain though... Ick!

Even better lie in, Nam!! I wanted to lie in but my body clock decided to wake me up at half six. Really annoying.  But i got more jobs done before work, so I shouldn't complain. Got a course this afternoon, so skiving off at lunchtime. Hoping to fit a teeny bit of shopping in before it starts...  

Nam
11/08/2009 at 10:30

LP I'm not desperate to have the dosh in 8 days so if you'd like it but would need a month to get the money I can live with that.  If you want it (for some irrational reason I like the idea of it going to someone I know LOL), then I'm happy to cancel the auction (as long as no one has bid on it by then, in which case you can't take it off the site anymore). Just let me know. 

I'm booked in for double spin tonight to make up for this mornings duvet indulgence. 

11/08/2009 at 10:44
Nam wrote (see)

I'm booked in for double spin tonight to make up for this mornings duvet indulgence. 

One is normally MORE than enough!
11/08/2009 at 13:45

Newbie here. I'm on my third lesson and can get from one end to the other with reasonable comfort... but not back again, yet.

Crawl: I'm getting my head right in, stretching for all I'm worth, have 'reasonable' balance, but I think I'm gulping air down and after an hour or two (very easy) swimming I spend the rest of the day feeling bloated and a bit sick.

Any  thoughts? Is this usual?

11/08/2009 at 19:19

Hi Bimble-bee.  I've never spent as long as 2 hours swimming so don't know about feeling sick but I might do if I swallowed the usual amount of water that I do in an hour.   What I do know is that it will get easier and you'll be swimming "back again" before too long. 

I've booked my first 1:1 swimming lesson starting on Monday and doing a course of 10.  My teacher is a triathlete and is the swim coach at my gym.  He said he will work on my technique to get a good base of 500m in a reasonable time before then working on the distance.  The aim is to get me to 1500m by next spring which he says is plenty of time.  I'm looking forward to it but a little nervous too.  Spent today with fist gloves (yuk) and doing some skating TI drills which I've neglected over the last few weeks.  They used to be easy but today I struggled and my balance has gone to pot so must practice more.

11/08/2009 at 22:24

Hi All,

Thanks Bos for the tips ages ago about shoulder pain... I did the zipper drills tonight (from one of the clips on here) and I can now see where I was going wrong. I was definitely pinching a nerve or muscle in my shoulder from rotating it round too much. I didn't swim a long distance tonight (the pool was so crowded!) but my shoulder feels better already. Will keep practicing that.

Re: cr@ppy kicking - for what it's worth, I wouldn't worry about it. For triathlon swimming you shouldn't really use your legs at all, as you need them for the other land-based bits!. I literally drag my legs behind me in the swim and just kick them occasionally to keep balanced, but not to propel myself - if that makes sense? If you kick them all over the place they just cause drag, anyway.

Was my first swim tonight in over a week as I had a week of rest after the London tri. If anyone is interested doing the london tri next year I'd just say that the water was literally poo coloured and you couldn't see your hand 12" away from your face - I kept bumping into people and had to keep stopping. It also tasted absolutely foul. I gulped one big mouthful and vowed not another drop would pass my lips   

Fun though!

11/08/2009 at 23:11

Hi Pearly Queen - been a while.  How did you get on at London?  I swallow gallons when I swim so need to get a bit better before hitting the London Docklands I think!  Sounds yukky.

I used to kick a lot and its only now I've stopped using my legs so much that I've got some distance up.  It makes a big difference and speed doesnt seem to be altered.  It just seems counter-intuitive to begin with. 

ImRio    pirate
12/08/2009 at 08:06

Bimble bee if you are feeling sick it could be that you are rotating not just your body but your head as well which can leave you feeling a bit sea sick.  Try to keep your head still, chin pointing to the bottom unless you are breathing of course .  If that doesn't work some people swear by ear plugs as it seems to inhibit the inner ear from feeling the movement or something.

It is hard not to swallow water but will come with time.  When you can create a bow wave to turn your head into rather than having to try to lift it above the water it is less likely to happen.

Docklands water is horrible!!

12/08/2009 at 11:30

PQ  -glad you found that useful.

there is a page on swimsmooth.com website that gives tips on shoulder pain - I think its in the intermediate section - that you might find helpful.

12/08/2009 at 11:33

Bow waves and balance! Back in the pool again this morning. I had just glimpses for swimming while breathing by moving my head down and back. This had the effect of keeping my arse-end from sinking and seems to stop me from gulping air/water. I think I need to practice, practice and practice to get my confidence up, as this requires me to believe that there is air where my brain expects to find water! (hence usually lifting my head too far).

PS. SoupDragon, my time in the pool is no measure of fitness! I'm taking LOTs of breaks to think about what I'm doing right/wrong.

ImRio    pirate
12/08/2009 at 11:38
Bimblebee that is perfect.  Better to take lots of breaks and get the technique right than get too tired and start losing the stroke.
12/08/2009 at 11:44

Cheers Rio.

I have a theory; every now and then, do too much, get tired and watch for what falls apart first, then work on that... thoughts? Haven't intentionally put this into practice, but thought about it.

ImRio    pirate
12/08/2009 at 11:49

But that might change depending on what else you have been doing and how generally tired you are so might not necessarily be a good indicator.  I would say (though others may disagree with me) to concentrate on the whole stroke length at a time - or an element within the stroke for example the glide, or the rotation, or the catch. 

12/08/2009 at 12:02

Bbee - the difficulty is knowing what is going wrong.  Unless you are very body aware it will be very difficult to know what to fix.

Also it is tending to focus on the negatives.  I think you might be better with less analysis and more doing.  Drills done properly will reinforce proper form.  The more drills you can do properly the less likely that you will have faults.

12/08/2009 at 12:10
Im. Rio! wrote (see)

the whole stroke length at a time - or an element within the stroke for example the glide, or the rotation, or the catch. 

Dont think there should be a glide in a swim stroke, imho.  

12/08/2009 at 13:53

Bimble-Bee, I'm a beginner so certainly no expert, but i'd agree with Rio. Isolate aspects of the stroke and practise those through drills.  Then try to focus on 1 length of good form.  This is what i've tried to do, and its helped me make massive progress this year.

I have just been to the pool and had a really good session.  Started with 4*100 wu then did a load of catch up drills.  I then tried to practise my breathing, so that I don't turn my head so far out of the water.  Then I swam either 20 or 22 (I lost count) continous FC, my furthest ever, and double my previous record.  I just kept say JFDI at the end of each one and kept going.   I lost count somewhere around 12-14 lenghts, so did 8 more after that point.  Took me approx 15 mins so certainly not fast, but amazingly slow either.

I am a pretty happy chap now

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.