Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

6,161 to 6,180 of 11,562 messages
31/08/2009 at 23:35

3 mules????  I like that sort of tri - no punctures to worry about.  

Sorry Funkster - just made me laugh.  Well done!

31/08/2009 at 23:53
Daft iPhone with it's word prediction.mule would have helped on the run uphill
01/09/2009 at 13:41
Well done Speedy!
01/09/2009 at 18:29

I really like my new tempo trainer toy.   I set it to beep at a comfortable rate of 50 strokes/min and counted my stroke/length for a 25m pool (28).  Now I just have to stay at that tempo but reduce my stroke count.  At least I now have a baseline to work from. Then I increase the speed and start again. 

And to add icing on the cake - it also clips to my bike helmet straps as a bike cadence trainer. 

01/09/2009 at 18:43

Well done Speedy!!!

I like the sound of your tempo trainer SD.

I had a nightmare at a deep water open air pool today.  Kept getting to the point where the water level suddenly doubles in depth and went into some form of panic and had to grab hold of the side.  Dented my confidence somewhat.  I eventually managed to do it after a lot of attempts, and then it was fine.  Stupid brain!  I also started to tread water for the first time, which went ok, but I am too tense so it is harder work than swimming.

Had a nightmare bike ride yesterday too, manged to get a puncture just as I was approaching the A41/M25 junction where there was nowhere safe for me to unclip and fix it.  Ended up in a nettle ridden scrap of ground, then my tyre lever snapped so it took a while to change the tyre.  When I did finally mange to get back onto the road, my legs had seized up a bit and still had 20 miles to go. Was not happy, and then a wasp got cuaght under my helmet and stung my head.  So i finished with a lovely lump on my head, and a load of nettle stings across my legs.  Very nice!

01/09/2009 at 18:48

Blimey Shiva. At least it's fairly safe to say the next time will be better.

Speaking of time - they've missed me off the triathlon results. I am not impressed. They appear to have allocated my time to a 44 year old man. Bah.

01/09/2009 at 20:59

Had a crap swim tonight as my ex b/f was there. I spent best part of half an hour having violent drowning fantasies (him). Eventually I gave up and sat in the steam room so i could relax a little. It worked and I was able to go back and do something that resembled swimming for 20 mins.

Shiva - i'm amazed you didn't just ring home and beg for a lift!! Fortunately, rides like that don't happen too often.........

Speedy - that sucks! Have you tried contacting them? 

01/09/2009 at 22:56
Angelic - yes and they've fixed it already but still haven't told me my split times. I don't think they actually recorded any to be honest.
02/09/2009 at 12:41
My HRM (only the watch part) said it was water resistant to 30m... I only did one length (25m) before it was full of water and the little liquid crystals were floating around like a demented 2D snow storm shakey-uppy-thingy (in black and grey).
02/09/2009 at 16:45

Oh dear Bimble, thats bad luck.  Can you take it back? 

03/09/2009 at 22:24

Blimey, I really was cr@p tonight. I think I only managed 3 full lengths without stopping to cough, splutter or at least catch my breath above water for a while.

Ah well, next time...

03/09/2009 at 22:32

That's a really cool triathlon CC2.  Have to say I would p my pants if I had to be close to that cliff edge.

Do you have a problem under water?  If you had to get something off the pool floor could you do it?  Or is just the breathing when you are doing FC?

04/09/2009 at 08:18

Morning all!

First swim in well over a fortnight yesterday, now that I'm finally free of the dissertation.

I *think* I did 1200m of very slow, poorly executed front crawl interspersed with drills (and a tiny bit of backstroke towards the end) but I lost count at various points because David, the octagenarian who's a regular at our pool, was in the lane.

He's a lovely old guy, widowed, always does "eleven lengths, no more, no less" , but he just wants to talk.

I had the exact same conversation with him I had about two months ago.

It's really hard to try and get back in the rhythm of training because you always know he's lonely and is probably grateful of someone to talk to, and I do respect the fact that at his age he's making some effort to look after himself.

So I had a lot of frequent rests that I didn't need (well, I needed the rests, but nowhere near as long as they ended up being) and lots of being very patient, listening to what he had to say whilst trying to keep half a mind on what I was supposed to be doing during the session swimming-wise.

Much as I feel like a slightly bad person about it, I think I am going to have to pick a different time of day to go swimming (i.e.  not mid-afternoon on a Tuesday or Thursday).  Hopefully I might have a job soon , and then there'll be no choice in the matter...

I'm not really keen to have chats in the pool, especially when it's in a lane.  I may be a 'cr@p' swimmer, but I'm not a 'leisure' swimmer.

Anyway, I'm glad I bit the bullet after a break.  I hadn't lost quite as much fitness as I'd been expecting, and my swimsuit wasn't quite as tight on me as I'd feared.

04/09/2009 at 15:51
i got a pb in the pool today 1min35 for 100m well chuffed lol
04/09/2009 at 22:24
bos1 wrote (see)

That's a really cool triathlon CC2.  Have to say I would p my pants if I had to be close to that cliff edge.

Do you have a problem under water?  If you had to get something off the pool floor could you do it?  Or is just the breathing when you are doing FC?

If I didn't need to breath to get something off the floor then I dare say I could do it no problem! My brain wants my eyes, nose and mouth to close whilst underwater...

Good to hear you're back in the pool Lady P. Did you get a diagnosis? Sorry if I missed it.

06/09/2009 at 10:32

Hi Speedy!

Diagnosis was a bit vague - luckily I'm not diabetic or hypothyroid and one of the iron tests was fine, but the other wasn't.

So now I'm iron tablets which seem to be slowly starting to take effect, but I'm still seeing my GP this Wednesday because of other symptoms and because they're not quite sure why the problem with the iron is happening - it's good anyway that they're not just giving me the tablets and sending me on my way (I know people who've had this, and only ended up needing the tablets again later down the line...)

In other news, I went for a job interview on Friday, for a post in the centre my dissertation supervisor is Academic Director of, and got it!

It's only 11 months fixed term because it's project funded, but it's educational development work and three grades higher than my previous job.   It's soooo relevant to both my dissertation topic and my general career interests that it's perfect.

So now I can start funding my budding tri ambitions....

It's also just so nice knowing that I've got a week and a bit just to chill out without worrying about job applications.  Hubby and I are going down to the End of the Road festival next weekend, but in the meantime I have time on my hands... Time to get training again!

06/09/2009 at 17:31
Congratulations of the job Lady P.
06/09/2009 at 20:39
Congrats Lady P!
06/09/2009 at 20:43
That's brilliant news Lady P!
07/09/2009 at 15:24

Congrats on the job, good news indeed.

I've been using a pool bouy to improve my technique. I did the swim at IMUK in 1 hour 20 mins but I felt I'd spent a lot of energy and I therefore want to improve my technique and be more efficient. Since using the pool bouy I've noticed that I get quite a lot of back discomfort. I believe this to be due to my legs being higher in the water. Is there anything I can do to prevent this or is it the case that my kick isn't strong enough when I'm not using a pool bouy?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.