6,161 to 6,180 of 12,911 messages
WildWill    pirate
29/04/2009 at 13:18
short lunch time session again for me

did 4 x 400m
Including a 400m TT in 7:00
Nam
29/04/2009 at 13:32

I thought I might rejoin this thread.   Making a bit of progress these days.

This morning:

• 800 warm up
  • 16x50 kick/pull alternate
  • 50 catch-up + 200 easy x3
  • 8x50 easy/max alternate
  • 400 cool down

= 3150m in 1:28, but the kick laps in there obviously slowed down the proceedings a bit.

Gyraffe    pirate
29/04/2009 at 13:56

Good sesh Nam. You're putting folks to shame

Yesterday's swim (after aborted effort to get into a wetsuit with broken zip )

500m mixed drills warmup
8x100m off 2.30 with pull buoy
400m drills
200m warmdown

Total 1900m in 50 minutes.

19/05/2009 at 16:44

HI all

Had a few months off swimming really, so last week I went t o the pool and my goodness you lose it!  Went again today, did 24 lengths and my aim is to be able to do front crawl for most, its not happening straightaway you understand! Anyway the last 4 today were fc and thats massive for me  . I just find that because I  haven't been for so long I struggle to breathe for  agood few lengths, it wasn't till the last 8 that I actually started to feel settled.  Is that normal?

19/05/2009 at 16:44
wow nam, that sounds amazing!
19/05/2009 at 19:29

Hi all,

Not been on this thread before but i'm not sure about the crap in the title looking at some of the distances and times on show!

I'm trying to train for my first Oly distance and have manged to self-teach myself crawl.  Today I managed 1500m in 53 mins which is the problem.  i am really pleased with being able to do the distance but i cant seem to speed up.  When i try i just end up coughing and spluttering and coming to a dramatic halt!

Bedders..    pirate
19/05/2009 at 19:55

Hi Slim - that is a great start and don't think it isn't! Self tought? Even better!

Quick question going back to the thread a few months ago - are you trying to breathe every two strokes or every three strokes? Normally if you breath every two it helps......I am not an expert at all but just a question as I found once I did the lattter everything fell into place.

Good luck!  

Bedders..    pirate
19/05/2009 at 19:57

Actually Slim has a point - this is rapidly turning into Bloody Brilliant Swimmers r us and that really is not he intention - this should be for folk who are really just getting the hang of this and not showboaters!

19/05/2009 at 20:45

Hi Bedders,

I breath every other stroke. i tried the bilateral breathing but decided that with everything else to learn it was a step too far!   Also i got speaking to someone who is a very strong swimmer and had just swum 2 miles in the sea and he breathes every other stroke - so my reasoning was - what's good enough for him.........     I realise there will be loads of opinions on this but i see swimming as a means to an end ie to enable me to compete in triathlons and now I'm in my 40's I'm never going to become a brilliant swimmer!

Bedders..    pirate
20/05/2009 at 07:54
Slim, if it's any consolation I am in my late forties and hadn't swum for nearly 30 years when I took it up again last year in prep for a tri. I will never be brilliant but I do know that with effort and practice it does click. We had a good breathing debate on here a few months back to scroll back rather than me going through it all again. It should help and good luck!   
20/05/2009 at 08:06
 Thought Id join as Im doing my first triathlon in about 6 weeks and I am currently doing 400m in about 13mins. My technique is shocking but going to look at different methods and possibly lessons. Hoping to catch people up on the bike and run stages!
WildWill    pirate
20/05/2009 at 08:15
im getting a new wetty for my birthday

a Quintana Roo Superfull
20/05/2009 at 08:29
went to the gym this morning to do some running and biking and had an awful session!  I reckon that swim yesterday- although I was pleased with it- has taken more out of me that i thought
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
20/05/2009 at 11:45

Bedders - the point was not to "showboat" but to give other peeps ideas on training routines. I said quite a few pages back I'd stop posting and was swamped with mail asking me to please continue posting our tri club swim training sessions.

And for your info, I am NOT a brilliant swimmer, I'm the slowest person in our club.

WildWill    pirate
20/05/2009 at 11:49
must be a good club
20/05/2009 at 12:04

Quick comment:

Did my first tri at the weekend and was dreading the swim. Constant sinusitis has made pool training tricky. However I do surf a lot and swim in the sea a fair bit when it's warmish and used to do beach lifeguarding.

I was the ONLY swimmer at the event with no goggles (!) and had a non tri specific wetsuit (a decent quality Xcel Infiniti Spring/Summer surfing wetsuit) so felt a right fool.

We had to run 500m down a hill to the swim area and jump in - very odd feeling! Very crowded so kept crashing into people and very very windy in the sea so lots of chop.

The swim was only 500m but in strong currents and I occasionally resorted to  breast stroke to get my bearings and be able to see/breathe over the chop.

Anyway the lack of open water swimming from most people really was evident - lots lost their bearings and really struggled. I came out 4th in my Sprint category and was utterly amazed (and won it overall) after the hideous 500m run back up the hill to the transitin area.

Anyway my point is that it's not just about endless slogging in a pool - it's about experiencing proper open water conditions, knowing about currents and chop and using that to help plough ahead.

Bored yet? I thought so!

Edited: 20/05/2009 at 12:05
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
20/05/2009 at 12:06
will - we have five triathletes who can do 1000m in 13 minutes or less!
Nam
20/05/2009 at 12:19
Bedders wrote (see)

- this should be for folk who are really just getting the hang of this and not showboaters!

I disagree.  I never saw anyone "showboat".  A few people here have become really good but started out as "crap".  They have shared their experiences, inspired newcomers and given new folk hope that learning to swim as an adult is indeed achievable.

When I learned to swim last year I have never experienced a panic like it!!  I haven't posted much on this thread but lurked a lot at the time and reminded myself that all these people started in a similar place to me.

I've swum over the IM distance several times now but still every time I smell chlorine and get into the pool there is a non-swimmer in me who panics for at least the first 200m.

And when it comes to OW it's a whole different ball game... like going from treadmill to outdoor running.  I get into a right paddy when I have no rope next to me, but I'll stick with it and the reason I do is partly because of the encouraging outcomes of the good people on this thread, so can you keep posting please!!

WildWill    pirate
20/05/2009 at 13:03
U-IW ... thats fast
WildWill    pirate
20/05/2009 at 13:05
yep - and some of us have been on this thread since 2004
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.