Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

6,161 to 6,180 of 12,922 messages
WildWill    pirate
20/05/2009 at 08:15
im getting a new wetty for my birthday

a Quintana Roo Superfull
20/05/2009 at 08:29
went to the gym this morning to do some running and biking and had an awful session!  I reckon that swim yesterday- although I was pleased with it- has taken more out of me that i thought
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
20/05/2009 at 11:45

Bedders - the point was not to "showboat" but to give other peeps ideas on training routines. I said quite a few pages back I'd stop posting and was swamped with mail asking me to please continue posting our tri club swim training sessions.

And for your info, I am NOT a brilliant swimmer, I'm the slowest person in our club.

WildWill    pirate
20/05/2009 at 11:49
must be a good club
20/05/2009 at 12:04

Quick comment:

Did my first tri at the weekend and was dreading the swim. Constant sinusitis has made pool training tricky. However I do surf a lot and swim in the sea a fair bit when it's warmish and used to do beach lifeguarding.

I was the ONLY swimmer at the event with no goggles (!) and had a non tri specific wetsuit (a decent quality Xcel Infiniti Spring/Summer surfing wetsuit) so felt a right fool.

We had to run 500m down a hill to the swim area and jump in - very odd feeling! Very crowded so kept crashing into people and very very windy in the sea so lots of chop.

The swim was only 500m but in strong currents and I occasionally resorted to  breast stroke to get my bearings and be able to see/breathe over the chop.

Anyway the lack of open water swimming from most people really was evident - lots lost their bearings and really struggled. I came out 4th in my Sprint category and was utterly amazed (and won it overall) after the hideous 500m run back up the hill to the transitin area.

Anyway my point is that it's not just about endless slogging in a pool - it's about experiencing proper open water conditions, knowing about currents and chop and using that to help plough ahead.

Bored yet? I thought so!

Edited: 20/05/2009 at 12:05
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
20/05/2009 at 12:06
will - we have five triathletes who can do 1000m in 13 minutes or less!
Nam
20/05/2009 at 12:19
Bedders wrote (see)

- this should be for folk who are really just getting the hang of this and not showboaters!

I disagree.  I never saw anyone "showboat".  A few people here have become really good but started out as "crap".  They have shared their experiences, inspired newcomers and given new folk hope that learning to swim as an adult is indeed achievable.

When I learned to swim last year I have never experienced a panic like it!!  I haven't posted much on this thread but lurked a lot at the time and reminded myself that all these people started in a similar place to me.

I've swum over the IM distance several times now but still every time I smell chlorine and get into the pool there is a non-swimmer in me who panics for at least the first 200m.

And when it comes to OW it's a whole different ball game... like going from treadmill to outdoor running.  I get into a right paddy when I have no rope next to me, but I'll stick with it and the reason I do is partly because of the encouraging outcomes of the good people on this thread, so can you keep posting please!!

WildWill    pirate
20/05/2009 at 13:03
U-IW ... thats fast
WildWill    pirate
20/05/2009 at 13:05
yep - and some of us have been on this thread since 2004
Bedders..    pirate
20/05/2009 at 18:11
Just my opinion that's all
20/05/2009 at 20:48

And once again my post, which I thought was helpful to non OW swimmers, went un-noticed/ignored.

Must be the way I write them or something!

Nam
20/05/2009 at 20:55
I just re-read it and it was basically a race report and the last line was pointing out the bleeding obvious.  I'm not quite sure what you were expecting?
20/05/2009 at 21:06

Hi all,

Haven't been on here much.  I am still a crap swimmer but getting better.  Xmas time I could swim one length and fail to complete the other 10 that I would start.  I just couldn't get the hang of it.   I have now manged to get up to 30 lengths, and am trying to reduce the time I spend between each length.  But like Nam, there is still the fear from time to time, but it is getting less.  It will be a while before I get confident enough to go into open water.  I am now aiming to do my first sprint tri sometime this summer, not sure where yet.

The point is, I have lurked on this thread, sometimes in awe of some of your achievements.  But it has motivated me to see you all progress and I find it very comforting to know that it is possible.  So do keep posting.

Back to lurking now, and edited for bad spelling/typing.

Edited: 20/05/2009 at 21:07
WildWill    pirate
20/05/2009 at 21:08
Well done Shiva .... realy good progress
Nam
20/05/2009 at 21:09

Well done Shiva!!!

It's not easy when fear is a big factor is it.  People think you should be able to tackle it with logic but sometimes that's not easy.  I think there is a big difference in people who simply have to learn a new skill versus people who have to overcome phobias as well as learn a new skill, so bloody well done for keeping at it.

20/05/2009 at 21:17
Thanks guys, the fear has been the hardest thing, I had a pretty horrific drowning experience as a child and avoided water for over 20 years.

I will keep going, aiming for ironman one day.
20/05/2009 at 22:17
well done shiva, glad I posted back here the other day!! It is useful, I keep thinking I should breathe every 3rd stroke and now I am thinking maybe not!  I feel happier every other tbh.  Will stick with it.  All should keep posting here, how else will we get such good tips. I mean, please please, one day let me be a great swimmer, ha ha, and if I give left this thread and no longer give input, well it doesnt pay back or help anyone else? Forgive me wafling, i meant to be doing an essay and my brain has packed up but I think you guys get me!
21/05/2009 at 07:33
I still breathe every 3rd stroke, seems better to me.  I will try every 2nd to see if it helps, but trying to build stamina and endurance in the water at the moment, i'll worry about breathing a bit later.
21/05/2009 at 08:31

Thanks Nam - will be sure to ask for more friendly advice in the future.

I breathe every fourth and do the odd 2nd stroke breathe when I need to.  Sorry if that's also bleeding obvious Nam.

WildWill    pirate
21/05/2009 at 08:37
breathing drills are good ...

.. do a length on the 2 then 3 ...4 ...5 ...6 ...7 ..7 ...6 ...5 ...4...3 ...2 (300m total)

And alternate your evens so every other even is on your 'off' side .. as if you go Open Water you dont know with way the swell will be coming from
Edited: 21/05/2009 at 08:38
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.