Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

6,181 to 6,200 of 12,922 messages
21/05/2009 at 08:41
Good advice Will - think I'll use that idea for the next OW race.
Farnie    pirate
21/05/2009 at 08:54

Matt, FWIT, I thought it was valuable ie the fact that you reverted back to BS to get your sighting correct, and that no matter how good a pool swimmer you are OW is quite different.   But then you sort of spoiled it by stamping your feet because nobody patted you on the back for your post.

I don't think people post on RW for people to thank them, I think it out of a genuine want to help.

21/05/2009 at 09:12

Farnie - it does appear that way but honestly isn't. I'm happy for someone to tell me I'm talking total merde - just wanted some form of interaction in something I tried for the first time at the weekend.

It's all very well talking about exact swimming drills in a pool but those often seem to fall to bits when you hit the water (from lifeguarding days).

I think Nam's comment was completey unnecessary.

WildWill    pirate
21/05/2009 at 09:16
iv always found the key to swimming fas is slowing it all down .. i swim slowly but move quite quickly ... if i try to really push it the extra speed is not worth the extra effort

LAst year i managed 4-miles (OW) in 1:55 ... but my 1-mile TT was not at a very much faster pace
21/05/2009 at 09:20

Will - similar here. I was really worried about the swim - lost sleep over it in fact. I tend to swim like a nutter with a good fast pace but run out of puff too quickly. Slow but powerful strokes seem to make all the difference.

I reckon most that I managed to "outswim" would annihilate me in a pool (ended up 4th on my category) but that bit of OW experience made up for it and shocked the hell out of me.  No, not looking for praise of a pat on the back, just think it could be helpful for others.

At the same time I'm keen to get better - people like Will are ideal for that sort of advice it seems!

Farnie    pirate
21/05/2009 at 09:21

Its the trouble with the written form Matt, maybe a or a might have helped.

But I don't think Nams comment was particularly harsh, she can be much more caustic than that

wait for it......

21/05/2009 at 09:26

Farnie - sorry, not a big emoticon user - maybe I should get into them a bit more?!

Nam can be more caustic? A great "attribute" I'm sure.

What's the point though?! 

(is that better?!) 

Farnie    pirate
21/05/2009 at 09:29

getting there

but the point of my was I didn't mean it, I was just saying it to get a reaction from her.

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack, 

I am off OW swimming tonight, I fecking hate it, but in a its quite good sort of way.  It scares the bejeezus out of me

21/05/2009 at 09:31
I will be OW "swimming" with a big "float" (a 6'2" surfboard) this weekend - looking like good waves on the way
Farnie    pirate
21/05/2009 at 09:32
now if I could pootle round on one of those, I would be v.happy
Nam
21/05/2009 at 09:40

>picks up dummy<

>dusts it off<

>hands it back to Matt<

21/05/2009 at 09:44

***Gives it back to nam as she's given me her dummy by mistake***

Easy error to make when in such a rage.

Nam
21/05/2009 at 09:54

You could have at least said thank you.

>puts dummy in gob and gets on with job<

ps...

5x500s this morning... shite time but it got done...

apologies for the interlude everyone...

please let the thread get back to normal.  thx.

21/05/2009 at 09:57

Sorry - thanks. My dummy is now firmly back in depsite the dust.

Anyway, anyone ever swum in the sea before?

pirate
21/05/2009 at 09:58
yes only twice though.....eeeek!
Farnie    pirate
21/05/2009 at 09:59

yes it made me sea sick.

which suprised me

but I don't know why (it suprised me)

Do those bonnet type things actually work whenyou swim OW, do they keep you any warmer?

Nam
21/05/2009 at 10:06

My open water "experience or lack thereof consist of...

• about 15 minutes in Bala lake last year (first OW ever)
  • about 30 mins in Porthcawl sea x2 (about 11 degrees when we went in April)
  • about 20 mins in Ponsticill reservoir (9 degrees!!)

It's something I SERIOUSLY need to practice as I get huge anxiety issues being far from shore, having no visual feedback from underneath me etc.

Have a proper training session at the Serpentine with a friend the weekend before Bala and other offers of help...  it's a real sticking point...  must HTFU!! >gulp<

21/05/2009 at 10:09

I'm the total opposite - open water - can swim for ages without too many problems.

Pool swimming - not only do I get sinusitis from chlorinated water (nose clip keeps falling off too!), I just CANNOT get my pace steady enough and end up going too fast and then suffer near oxygen starvation!

It's really odd and a pain for training!

Farnie    pirate
21/05/2009 at 10:11
It it only a 400m course at Boundary, but it is like being blind.  I got so freaked out by not being able to see I swam BS pretty much all the time
21/05/2009 at 10:39
Any of you swim with a dog? We have a black lab - basically a seal with ears. Have swum for 3/4 of an hour non stop with her and she was still up for more. Amazing swimmer!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.