21/05/2009 at 09:44

***Gives it back to nam as she's given me her dummy by mistake***

Easy error to make when in such a rage.

Nam
21/05/2009 at 09:54

You could have at least said thank you.

>puts dummy in gob and gets on with job<

ps...

5x500s this morning... shite time but it got done...

apologies for the interlude everyone...

please let the thread get back to normal.  thx.

21/05/2009 at 09:57

Sorry - thanks. My dummy is now firmly back in depsite the dust.

Anyway, anyone ever swum in the sea before?

pirate
21/05/2009 at 09:58
yes only twice though.....eeeek!
Farnie    pirate
21/05/2009 at 09:59

yes it made me sea sick.

which suprised me

but I don't know why (it suprised me)

Do those bonnet type things actually work whenyou swim OW, do they keep you any warmer?

Nam
21/05/2009 at 10:06

My open water "experience or lack thereof consist of...

• about 15 minutes in Bala lake last year (first OW ever)
  • about 30 mins in Porthcawl sea x2 (about 11 degrees when we went in April)
  • about 20 mins in Ponsticill reservoir (9 degrees!!)

It's something I SERIOUSLY need to practice as I get huge anxiety issues being far from shore, having no visual feedback from underneath me etc.

Have a proper training session at the Serpentine with a friend the weekend before Bala and other offers of help...  it's a real sticking point...  must HTFU!! >gulp<

21/05/2009 at 10:09

I'm the total opposite - open water - can swim for ages without too many problems.

Pool swimming - not only do I get sinusitis from chlorinated water (nose clip keeps falling off too!), I just CANNOT get my pace steady enough and end up going too fast and then suffer near oxygen starvation!

It's really odd and a pain for training!

Farnie    pirate
21/05/2009 at 10:11
It it only a 400m course at Boundary, but it is like being blind.  I got so freaked out by not being able to see I swam BS pretty much all the time
kittenkat    pirate
21/05/2009 at 10:34

Ah, kissed and made up... Good.

I'm loving OW this year, so different from my problems last year.

21/05/2009 at 10:39
Any of you swim with a dog? We have a black lab - basically a seal with ears. Have swum for 3/4 of an hour non stop with her and she was still up for more. Amazing swimmer!
kittenkat    pirate
21/05/2009 at 10:42
Yes, I've swum with my German Shepherd
21/05/2009 at 11:25
Will, I like the look of that breathing drill.  I will give that a go tonight.
Nam
21/05/2009 at 13:28

Matt there are lots of different types of nose clips.  Have you tried any different ones?  www.[b]swims[/b]hop.co.uk have a few different types. 

I can't cope with nose clips at all as I exhale throught both nose and mouth and feel suffocated whn I have a nose peg on. 

I have actually really enjoyed aspects of open water swimming.  I like the being outdoors part of it.  Unlike some people I have no problems with fish of whatever size, bog weeds etc.

But some stuff really throws me...  Not being able to see the floor...  Being far away from "safety", i.e. there is no rope, no pool side...  I know it's psychological.  I "know" I can swim 4.5km (the longest swim I've ever done).  In the pool I'm like a patient hamster in a wheel...  I can go up and down until the cows come home....  but put me in the middle of a lake with a buoy 1000m away and say swim over there... I crap myself...

Only 3 weeks til Bala... 2k OW... 

Nam
21/05/2009 at 13:29
21/05/2009 at 13:56

some advice needed

I swim in the sea with my tri club and find it ok but my main aim this year middle distance is a lake swim do i needto siwm in a lake or if i can swim in the sea will this be enough as its a bit of a drive to the nearest lake and the sea is free

21/05/2009 at 13:59

Nam - I got the Speedo Universal (I think) one - only used it once and think it may have been me putting it on wrongly. However it did do the job but does take some getting used to. I get sinusitis from surfing too - in fact I've had a near perma cold (sort of) from it for about two months but still trained.

Despite a couple of near drownings from surfing (surfboard leash snapping in big waves - means swimming back in!) I'm not worried about open water. Obviously need to be aware of currents and rips (easy to spot once you know what to look for) and sometimes have to cope with waves but as long as ypu respect it, it's usually okay. Just got used to not being able to see over the years - hence me not wearing goggles on that tri. I did feel very daft though!

Maybe try swimming on beaches with lifeguards on duty for confidence? Or try some big but safe lakes? I think the main thing is not to panic - surfing by it's very nature often throws up open water challenges - waves get too big, rips stop you getting back in, take you up/down the beach, etc, etc and it's easy to panic but you are a strong swimmer (clearly if you can do 4.5km) and so can easily make it back in wherever you are. I love the feeling of freedom in open water and hate the confines of a pool.

Another thought - do some low level freediving - touch the bottom, get familiar with the changes in temperature and currents. To me it feels like flying (sort of!).

And lastly, salt water gives you a lot more bouyancy than  fresh. It makes a big difference!

Sorry if that's boring or anything - but I've more or less grown up in/near the sea!

21/05/2009 at 14:02

Oh and just to bore everyone even more, here is a surfing pic - same wetsuit I did the tri swim in:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v171/8/92/631517804/n631517804_572260_6443.jpg

Having said all that, there's still loads of room for improvement. Just not scared by the sea - which I think helps.

Nam
21/05/2009 at 14:13

The thing about nose pegs not being put on right is funny cos I also had no idea which way around I was supposed to put the feckers on... not exactly an intuitive design are they?

Funny what you said about diving.  I actually liked diving.  Only did it a few times when I backpacked the Middle East and did some diving in the Red Sea.  But because I had my oxygen tank all was well...   I didn't experience many of the anxieties diving that I have with swimming.  I actually thought it was quite relaxing.

I think it matters a lot what kind of psychological relaionship you have with the water...  I know that sounds like a load of whooly claptrap, but what I mean is to you (Matt) water / the sea / waves are 'fun' and it's your playground with lots of positive associations etc.

Did you learn to swim as a kid?   I think that helps also.

I come from a non-swimming family.  Neither of my parents can swim.  Dad can't swim at all and won't go anywhere further than knee deep.  Mum is a very anxious breast stroker who won't swim out of her depth.  I think I picked this up from when I was very little... this message that deep water is something to be afraid of.  School never bothered with the kids like me (the non-swimmers) we were just ignore in the paddling pool for 2 hours while the rest got coached.  So again as a kid you absorb that message "swimming is not for me".

And no matter how logical I try to be about it, it's actually quite hard to shake off that history. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.