Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

6,201 to 6,220 of 11,788 messages
13/08/2009 at 11:33

yep I got told the S thing too - maybe there's just different schools of thought. It took a bit of practice to do it instinctively but it's now drilled in - although I think my right arm is better than the left.  On a related note, I found that using paddles can help reinforce the feeling for gripping the water.

I don't kick at all - but I think I probably should to get better balance. I don't want to knacker my legs for the bike and run, but some more balance would probably help.

13/08/2009 at 11:39
The One and Only XFR Bear wrote (see)

I don't kick at all - but I think I probably should to get better balance.

That's kind of how I feel about it, Bear - even if I don't want to kick too much to conserve legs for bike/run (when I actually get round to doing a tri!) I can't help feeling I could improve my balance a little.

Thanks for catch tips, Rio and Bear.
ImRio    pirate
13/08/2009 at 11:56

It might feel like you are not kicking but you probably are just enough to balance.  The kick shouldn't be pronounced for tri swimming anyway - certainly not as you increase the length of the swim.

There should be a small S shape to the catch just to keep the water moving and maintain a "wall" to press against but it only needs to be a small s. 

13/08/2009 at 12:03
I think I take my hand about six inches out to the side of a straight line back and then about three inside the line towards the middle - is that too much do you think?
Gyraffe    pirate
13/08/2009 at 12:05

Hello peeps - someone told me if you push your hand out to the side at the start of the stroke the rest of the S happens all by itself. That seemed to work for me and is also compatible with the arm over a barrel approach. (Rio is that from Don Fink?)

Someone said something about fist gloves yesterday - are they necessary? When I do the fist drill I tend to open my hand for the last few strokes of each length and feel the catch working through my whole hand and forearm - are the gloves a bit gimmicky? They must make you feel horribly trapped.

13/08/2009 at 12:06
can't say I'm an expert and have never tried them, but my thinking is that I can just put my hand into a fist shape without any gloves being involved!
Gyraffe    pirate
13/08/2009 at 12:10

Bear - you'll never become a marketing baron with that attitude!

I think I need someone to video my swimming - I'd like to think my entry occurs at about shoulder level - but am increasingly suspicious I could be crossing over horribly........... What are the chances my hubby would be get thrown out of the pool area for producing a video camera?

ImRio    pirate
13/08/2009 at 12:21

Waff it is from Swim for Tri.  Dan Bullock and crew are great.

I have fist gloves but they were a waste of money as it is just as easy to close your fist.  You can then also extend the drill to pointing one finger then two and so on until your hand is open

13/08/2009 at 12:23

LOL Waffy!  How about this then:

"Fist Gloves, when you want to make a better fist of things"

There are quite a few places now that do videoing, mine was done in a closed off pool so no problems with getting thrown out. Could you just tell him a few things to look out for and he could watch you as a cheaper, simpler alternative?

Gyraffe    pirate
13/08/2009 at 12:29

That's much more like it.

I like the simple solution - why didn't I think of that!

13/08/2009 at 12:37

Rio and I should start our own marketing company!

I do haev the paddles and the webbed gloves - which do pretty much the same think tbh.  WIll give the one finger stuff a go though

ImRio    pirate
13/08/2009 at 12:43

I have tried most of the gadgets.  Most of them are now sat in a bag in the back of my car!  Have just ordered the special snorkel type arrangement so I can watch my arms while swimming and I don't have to worry about breathing. 

I should open a second hand store

Nam
13/08/2009 at 13:01

Rio that fulcrum thing you had I just found frightening.  I didn't like using that at all...

Fist gloves...   Why?

Dan told me to get a centre snorkel...  Tell me how you get on with it.

13/08/2009 at 13:20

I'm finding it increasingly scary the amount of gadgets you can buy!  There I was thinking it was only bike ponces that got obsessed with gizmos!   Guess it's triathletes in general.

(I don't even own a Garmin).

Think I'll just stick to the fist drills and gradually introduce pointing fingers.

Snorkel thingie sounds intriguing though (probably something for a little further down the line).

Oh by the way, Nam, thanks for the offer of waiting for payment for the wettie , but I think it's best if you leave it on fleabay, as whether or not I can buy it depends on how quickly I can get a job.

I hand in my dissertation on 1 Sept, but it might be considerably longer before I a) get and start a job and b) get my first pay packet.  I don't want to promise you I'll buy it and then not be able to at a later date - it's not fair on you, honey.

13/08/2009 at 13:27

Does this snorkel thing have little wing-mirrors or sommit? I don't understand. 'e'-ink anybody?

Waff; so we've established that your hubby is both simple and cheap.. I like him more and more; must be a splendid fella.

Wouldn't a normal video recorder steam up? The lens inside my camera did

13/08/2009 at 13:40
wtf is a fulcrum?
Gyraffe    pirate
13/08/2009 at 13:44
Bimble-bee wrote (see)

Waff; so we've established that your hubby is both simple and cheap.. I like him more and more; must be a splendid fella.

Is this forum going to be big enough for both of us?  

Bear - isn't that something to do with a see-saw?

ImRio    pirate
13/08/2009 at 13:46

http://www.mailsports.co.uk/uploads/2007761326.jpg

snorkel goes over your head rather than out to the side so you can continue to rotate your arms properly

http://www.finisinc.com/images/items/Large/10502850.jpg

Fulcrum things that were ultimately a torture device in disguise
13/08/2009 at 13:46

I have two questions...

1) After reading Mr Smooths page - he advocates the flipper thingys - are they worth using?

2) What's this snorkel gadget? Can somebody give me a link? It sounds well useful for practicing stroke without worrying about breathing.

13/08/2009 at 13:47
Aha! There is the snorkel !!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.