Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

6,201 to 6,220 of 13,009 messages
21/05/2009 at 14:25

Nam - I did learn pretty young (had lessons aged 4) but was never a particularly strong swimmer. Just got used to being bashed around in the sea over the years.

Very nearly drowned twice - once was a proper blackout moment - and had a load of injuries from hitting rocks, being smacked in the face by surfboards (I sliced my top lip in half once -Mrs Matt saw it and fainted!), hitting reefs, etc, etc so I guess I've got used to mild trauma in the sea.

However I've watched (aged 8) my dad being rescued (a very strong swimmer) from the sea at West Wittering when windsuring and getting into trouble - the coastguard got there just in time - 10 minutes to live max - seen a dead body pulled out of the sea, rescued a few quite serious cases when lifeguarding and rescue boating and generally seen quite a lot of nasty things. Guess it just helps on danger awareness?

But put me in a pool and I'll swim 100m very quickly; then run out of puff! Can recover with a length of breast stroke then go back to crawl - must sort pool breathing. It's embarrassing!

With the nose clip - I tried to find pics on-line but no joy! Looks sort of like an upturned "beak" on me! Not a good look but worth avoiding nose trouble - blinding headaches followed by orange liquid pouring out of my nose for several days - eyoooo!

Farnie - that's pretty grim. Got to have a scarring effect?

21/05/2009 at 15:28

Holy feck about watching someone drown, that's awful. 

I remember vividly as a child, being wrapped up in all kinds of inflatable stuff when I was about 5/6 years old.  We'd go to a lovely local lake for a cheap holiday, but because neither of my parents could swim they never let me go in very far, because obviously they knew they wouldn't be able to fetch me if I floated off with all my inflatables!

There are old super-8 films of me in an inflatable swim ring as well as inflatable arm bands.... I had the lot!!!  No wonder I'm not at ease with the idea of floating without accessories... hahaha

21/05/2009 at 15:46

My local primary school had a swimming pool, and we all had lessons there.  However, they used to only uncover half of the pool if one class went (as opposed to 2 classes).  One day, not sure how cos I can't remember, I found myself getting caught up in the plastc sheeting used to cover the pool at the other end.  The more I struggled the more tangled I got, and I ended up completely trapped and submerged.  I don't remember who got me out or how, but it seriously freaked me out and I simply refused to go in the water again.  Took a lot to get over that, and has taken a few years for me to get to the stage I am at. 

I am getting better slowly, and plan to complete my first tri soon.

Farnie, I think watching someone drown is probably worse than what I went through, at least I can't remember too much.

21/05/2009 at 15:53

Shiva - your experience is the sort of things I've had nightmares about before!

Get this for a wierd phobia - I HATE man made objects in open water -weirs, locks, big ships, underwater pipes, piers, etc. No idea where it came from but it's horrible. There are currently some huge ships moored just down river from us. Every time we got out in our boat and have to pass them, I break out into a cold sweat.

21/05/2009 at 15:55
I suppose they are both really bad but in different ways.  The panic and claustrophobia of being caught up under that sheeting sounds horrible too. 
21/05/2009 at 15:57

Matt, weird one that!!! 

I think I'll be grateful for any man made object I'll encounter cos it gives me something to hold on to.

>imagines self thrashing from buoy to buoy<

Farnie    pirate
21/05/2009 at 16:02
Matt, how odd, I am terrified of the same sorts of things, locks, waterwheels, weirs etc.  I think it comes from a childrens telly prog but that about where my hunch ends.  Its not too hot either because I work in the water industry I have to visit reservoirs etc alot and i am totally terrified of them
21/05/2009 at 16:05

I'm with you Nam, the more objects=more stuff to cling to.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for the water industry Farnie?

Farnie    pirate
21/05/2009 at 16:08

I design really big water and sweage pumps.  I do all the 'clever' maths.

21/05/2009 at 16:09

Farnie - I'm not the only one then!

Even buoys spook me out as do boats  - when I'm in the water. Must be some wierd childhood experience that triggered it!

Signs that say "Danger submerged cable" or "submerged pipe" have me in a near panic situation.

Can we get therapy for it?! Maybe I saw the same TV show?!

Edited: 21/05/2009 at 16:09
21/05/2009 at 16:10
The irony of Farnie actually designing the feckers!!!
21/05/2009 at 16:13

Ponsticill Reservoir has a wicked plug hole....

Get sucked in there and you've had it!

21/05/2009 at 16:30
Flippin 'eck, I've had a heart attack!
Farnie    pirate
21/05/2009 at 16:51

this is Ladybower near me

21/05/2009 at 16:53

That looks like summat out of a Sci-Fi!!!!

I don't think Matt can take any more...

21/05/2009 at 16:55

***Gibbering wreck in the corner***

21/05/2009 at 18:36

re difference between sea and lake.  As you can see from the pictures above some lakes have very big holes in them - so mind your step.

The sea is more bouyant than freshwater  - however shouldnt require a special trip - if you pool swim you will be able to handle swimming at different bouyancies. Visibility will proably be worse in  lake.

Some lakes can be very cold - can be colder than sea swims.  Might be worth checking previous race reports about the lake to see if people say anything about the temp.  Very cold water is difficult to get used to.  Probably not going to be an issue though.

21/05/2009 at 20:57
Has anyone waterskiied on both fresh and salt water? Much easier to get up in salt water as you are more bouyant but seems to hurt more when you fall off!
21/05/2009 at 21:29

I waterskiied once... on a river... Getting me up was quite a spectacle...

Then my friend cornered, I went wide and straight through a group of swans...

21/05/2009 at 21:30
Matt Sutherland wrote (see)

***Gibbering wreck in the corner***

ooohhhh... we know your weaknesses now...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.