Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

6,201 to 6,220 of 11,562 messages
18/09/2009 at 13:54

Well done FK, I think I'm in the same boat as you, 6 swims now and today managed 100m front crawl for the first time then short rest for about 10 seconds then managed 3 more sets of 100m. Swam 850m in total all front crawl.

When I started 11 days ago I could only do 25m at a time and had to rest loads more and revert to breaststroke. So I guess I'm saying it is possible to improve quite quickly. Although I'm definately still cr@p, as it took about 30mins for the total 850m!   

18/09/2009 at 14:20

Wll done Shadowface and Fiddy Kent - I am still stuck at the 25m then one min rest.

SF - what has been your routine in getting so far so fast?  How often are you training and are you doing any drills?

I think I became despondent a month or so ago because I did not seem to be making progress.  I seemed to be stuck on one length and then a rest.  There was no way I could budge from that, so I would be interested to know how you have gone about making your remarkable progress.

18/09/2009 at 14:55

Hi Scmunkee,

I dont even know what a (swimming) drill is!! Ive had no lessons yet. I may have some after the Abingdon marathon next month.

I read 'zero to a mile in 6 weeks' on a link that was posted on another thread. It talked about just getting used to short breaks (max 12 breaths I think) rather than waiting to recover before starting the next length. It gave me the confidence to realise you do not need to recover fully and the body should adapt more quickly.  I just ploughed on with this approach and tried to do as many lengths of FC as I could with the least amount of rest. I noticed that I was able to continue with front crawl more often without going to breast stroke and cope with very short or no breaks (after all the alternative is sinking!) and today all front crawl for the first time!  So I would say it has worked so far anyway! But remember I am still a complete novice so others may have much better advice!  

My first swim was last week and I have done 3 swims per week so far.

18/09/2009 at 16:38

Cheers SF - I must admit I was waiting til my breathing had near enough returned to normal before starting my next length.  I also notice it was only when I stopped that I started to breath heavier.  I guess it's gonna be worth trying your technique of resting for only 12 or so breaths.

I will post back when I have had chance to try it

20/09/2009 at 10:00

Morning all!

Congratulations on the tri, Angelic!

Some great swimming efforts from others on here too! 

Hi LN - long time no see!  Good to bump into you on here!  By the way, I think you might be talking about extension drills...

As for me, no swimming since my last post.  I've been away (had a great time at the End of the Road festival), and then started the new job after very little time to rest - it's so far gone well, but I'm already very, very busy and have so much to learn!

Seems like a really nice environment to work in - lovely people and all very relaxed, and brilliantly related to my masters and career interests in general, so all good on that front.

But hopefully I should settle in to the swing of things now, and should be able to get back to swimming again next week.

Bliddy need to do something. I've gained quite a few pounds recently through all the scoffing I did while writing the dissertation.

21/09/2009 at 13:22

no swimming for me - for those who don't know, i've broke my wrist coming off my bike thanks to a car reversing into me.  just back from a second x-ray and i'm now in plaster with a confirmed fracture.

now going to look for a quiet corner to sulk in.

keep up the good work everyone - i'll still be watching you.

21/09/2009 at 13:27

Ouch Soupy. So sorry to hear that. Will email you.

LP - Err I don't know what the drills are called, but I am looking forward to getting back in the pool. 

Edited: 21/09/2009 at 13:29
21/09/2009 at 13:38
Awww - poor Soupy!   Hope you're okay.
21/09/2009 at 14:12

Hi all,

I would like some advice please, I have done a couple of sprint tris all with BS. I have  tried FC and I am cr@p at it. I have had plenty of lessons and lots and lots of practice. It takes me 9-9:30 for 400m BS , 11:30-12 mins for FC .  Should I bother with FC or just keep doing BS? 

21/09/2009 at 23:07

Soupy - poor you! (((hugs))) It will soon heal and you'll be back to normal.

Lady P - glad the new job's going well! Now get back into that pool!!

Hello to everyone else

I had a swim tonight. Felt better after a very lethargic weekend feeling pretty run down. Whatever was wrong seems to have gone and enjoyed my swim tonight. Pool wasn't too busy and i practised my FC. Still rubbish, but i felt like i was doing better near the end of the session. No doubt the swim teacher on saturday will put me straight!

22/09/2009 at 08:53

Hullo, top cr@p swimmer question.. after a couple of lengths my stroke starts to fall appart and I need to stop for a bit and catch my breath. Is this;

a) CO2 build-up or,

b) fatigue?

I figure with 'b' I can just keep on practising and it will come eventually. But what do I do about 'a'? Obviously I need to change something in my breathing. Is it really as simple as slow down? If I go much slower, my legs drop and I grind to a halt. Trez frustrating. I've been at it for a few months now, with lessons, and while technique is definately getting better the endurance is letting me down.

SD; cr@p luck, get well soon.

Fiddy kent - you're not alone! so, so, not alone!

22/09/2009 at 09:52

Look what I've found! swimming in plaster   Can anyone recommend some drills I can do with only 1 arm please?

Bedders..    pirate
22/09/2009 at 10:04
Bimble-bee wrote (see)

Hullo, top cr@p swimmer question.. after a couple of lengths my stroke starts to fall appart and I need to stop for a bit and catch my breath. Is this;

a) CO2 build-up or,

b) fatigue?

I figure with 'b' I can just keep on practising and it will come eventually. But what do I do about 'a'? Obviously I need to change something in my breathing. Is it really as simple as slow down? If I go much slower, my legs drop and I grind to a halt. Trez frustrating. I've been at it for a few months now, with lessons, and while technique is definately getting better the endurance is letting me down.

SD; cr@p luck, get well soon.

Fiddy kent - you're not alone! so, so, not alone!

I am no expert but going back a while here we had a debate about breathing and it seems that the newer swimmers here found it far easier and much less effort to breath every two strokes rather than the every three strokes that we are sometimes taught. This may help.

If you already breath every 2 strokes then ignore this advice!

22/09/2009 at 11:12

V interesting - have been wondering the same thing myself. I now feel lopsided breathing every two strokes ( despite having done nothing but until about 6 weeks ago), but just can't seem to get into a steady continuous swim breathing every three.  

Did everyone just give up trying to breathe every three strokes, or did people persevere and start tolerating it in time?

22/09/2009 at 23:50

Bimble -bee

There is no golden key, there is no one thing that unlocks everything.  You may think your technique is good enough but it is probably not.

Your objective evidence  is that your stroke falls apart afetr a few lengths.  That is a very short distance - fatigue and/or CO2 should be discounted before you consider your technique.

Keep at the drills - make sure you are incorporating the drills into your stroke.Drills do help endurance and build up strength - a single arm drill is a  a tough work out if done properly.

You have only been at this a short time, with consistent work it will come

Sorry bedders I think breathing is a complete red herring.  With an adequate technique breathing is not an issue.  Breathing is certainly not a cause of a "stroke [that] starts to fall appart and need[ing] to stop for a bit and catch my breath".

23/09/2009 at 07:19

HI everyone,

Haven't been around much recently due to work, but am keeping going with the swimming.  I have my first tri in 10 days now.  I have continued with lots of drills, trying to get my technique better and it seems to be improving.  NOw I just have to do it on the day.

Bimble Bee, I agree with Bos, keep at the drillsit will all come together at some point.

Happy splashing everybody!

23/09/2009 at 09:06

Morning all!

Still busy busy at my new job.  Went to the pool for the first time in nearly two weeks yesterday evening after work.  Horrendously fecking busy.   Had intended to do drills but there were simply too many people, even in the lanes.

Managed just 24 lengths (800m) of reasonable-ish but slow front crawl. Felt hard-going, but better than nothing!  Felt horribly sick afterwards, though - I think I need to get some earplugs as I think it was to do with water sloshing in my ears making me travel-sick.

I think I'm finding it harder to get back into a routine of working and training than I'd expected.  Looks like early mornings swims might be a better option for having some room in the pool, but I'm really not a morning person!

Keep going at the drills, Bimble Bee - they will make a difference.

Interestingly, I don't seem to have a problem with breathing bilaterally these days.  I am slightly (only slightly) obsessive-compulsive and therefore like things evened out so breathing both sides suits me psychologically, but I'd have expected that given how slow I am it might be difficult, but it's not too bad.

When I'm "sprinting" I sometimes switch to unilateral, but swap sides at the end of each length. But generally I prefer not having to move my head out of the water too much.

(Funny - I never would have thought at one time that I'd prefer keeping my face in the water!!!)

Edited: 23/09/2009 at 09:07
23/09/2009 at 16:57
I'm having a big problem (still!) with getting out of breath after about 2 - 3 lengths.  I've been thinking about it and I reckon it's because I kick like a mule, just as my swimming teacher told me to.  Am I right?  If so, how do I get myself out of the habit?
23/09/2009 at 19:59

Colonel

The nice people at Swim smooth have a handy article on kicking:

kick unlike a mule

using fins will help your kick as it helps flexability of ankle if that is a problem.
Also if use fins with small kicks, leg straight, you can get used to forward propulsion from kick without having to put a lot of input into your kick (ie kick like a mule on amphetamines).

Pullbouy can be used so that use arms only.

24/09/2009 at 11:13
Anyone ever used paddles? tried them for the first time and after 200m my right forearm felt about the size of popeyes! I know that must mean I'm doing something wrong that side just can't see what it is?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.