Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

6,241 to 6,260 of 12,911 messages
Nam
21/05/2009 at 21:30
Matt Sutherland wrote (see)

***Gibbering wreck in the corner***

HEELLLPP MEEEEEE!!!

ooohhhh... we know your weaknesses now...

;-)

22/05/2009 at 09:43

Nam -

Mrs Matt used to be a waterski instructor and we have a little boat you can ski from so do quite a bit of it - lots of fun but needs to be dead flat. Which isn't often.

That picture is genuinely one of the scariest I have seen. It is the exact embodiment of my irrational fear. Scary scary.

WildWill    pirate
22/05/2009 at 10:02
my new wetsuit arrived yesterday

22/05/2009 at 10:15

Will - Orca or Orca?!

My Xcel worked a treat on Saturday - the front zip means less stress/resistance across the back (although it's for surfing not tris) which is ideal for swimming and paddling. It was also very easy to get off.

I noticed EnduranceLife were selling them.

Tri suits look good but very fragile to me.

WildWill    pirate
22/05/2009 at 10:22
QR Superful

I don like Orca for my build
Nam
22/05/2009 at 10:26

Mine is a Blue Seventy summat rather...

I was lucky a year ago.  I ordered the cheap as chips version and it was out of stock... 6 weeks later and several emails back and forth and they sent me a more expensive one for the same cheap as chips price.

22/05/2009 at 10:37

Nam - had similar on a wetsuit I ripped surfing a reef. Took it back claiming it had failed (!) they didn't have the same model in stock so got the next one up - with another year's warranty!

Used to rep for Rip Curl so that kept me in suits for ages - but they have fallen behind now. Xcel are easily the best for surfing. And seem okay for tris too. Not for the gangly though. Need to be wideish if male.

Will - how much for that sort of suit?

WildWill    pirate
22/05/2009 at 21:40
wiggle have themat 33% off so i got it for about £240
Nam
22/05/2009 at 21:46

Bliiimey... schpenschive......

Is a really dear wettie really that much better?  Mine was only about £160...

4k swim for me tomorrow morning...  after yoga... so I can get in da zone...

WildWill    pirate
22/05/2009 at 21:48
no for a beginner get a beginners wetsuit  they cost much less ... about £100
Nam
22/05/2009 at 21:59
The one I have was worth £160 but I only paid £110.   Must be a beginners then.
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
22/05/2009 at 22:06
After some advice

I need a new wetsuit but a little adverse to spending much money as im still on the larger than ideal side, however ive hire deals seem to be either for a week or £99 for a season.  I need a wetsuit for a month Bala to IMCH and if its going to cost over £50 + 2x postage I may as well buy one.

Assuming no one is aware of any decent month hire deals im toying between a tailor made Snugg or a BlueSeventy Helix.

Any thoughts on the respective benefits of either given I need good bouyancy as im an slightly below average swimmer?

Im also obviously need the wetsuit in 3 weeks ready for Bala, not sure if Snugg could deliver in time.

One other option im considering is buying a wetsuit at Bala, would they be likely to have any decent deals?
Edited: 22/05/2009 at 22:06
22/05/2009 at 22:29

Will - similar to surf equivalents.

Top end Xcel Winter suit - £250

Top end Xcel Summer full suit - £200

Streets ahead of other wetsuits due to combination of extreme flexibility, durability and warmth. Quite literally a revelation. I went from struggling to surf for an hour mid Feb to easily surfing two hours and being fine.

Nam
24/05/2009 at 16:48
Good sea swim.  First really positive OW experience although the other trials have probably helped me get there.  Furthest from shore I've ever been and way out of depth but no panic attacks.  Lovely morning for it too.
Farnie    pirate
24/05/2009 at 19:04

Barley, I know of somewhere that does hire for just the weekend if that helps.

Oh no, sorry you said you need if for a month..

oops

24/05/2009 at 19:08

Just went out in our boat and swam in the sea in shorts for the first time this year. Rather parky but lovely and clear. Did about 1/4a mile or so - most of it with our little black lab.

Loads of boats around today - stunning weather!

Nam
24/05/2009 at 19:23

Barley,

Didn't Rosey recently post about his mate having a really nice wettie for sale and not wanting that much for it?  I can't for the love of it remember what size though?  I think the conversation either took place on the Cheshire Sprint Tri or Cheshire Oen Water thread.  Farnie might remember?  If in doubt mail him, but may be a bargain if your size?

Nam
24/05/2009 at 19:25
Matt, was a lovely day for OW adventure today wasn't it.    I think in total we only did about 1000m today but for me that was my longest OW swim and I'm so pleased that despite certain 'issues' of mine like depth and distance from shore etc I had a good time.
M...eldy    pirate
24/05/2009 at 19:26
He may well of done .......  but it aint for sale no more  
Nam
24/05/2009 at 19:46
LOL you got there first?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.