Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

11,801 to 11,820 of 12,922 messages
Britrisky    pirate
31/05/2012 at 21:30
Hey - good luck on Sunday, Lauren555 - I'm glad I'm not an OW virgin now. The first lap was pretty hard - I was much more bouyant, as I'd read would happen, but much more out of breath. It was ok, though, because being so bouyant meant it was easier to stop and take stock before ploughing on.

I felt like my technique was terrible, but I got round, and even found the umph to tackle a second lap. This was a confidence builder for sure.

But I did it and I know I'll get better - hope it goes well for you.

No Body glide, and no chafing, although I have 4 bites on one side of my neck - do piranha swim in lakes??!!

How best to dry the wetsuit after, though???
IronCat5    pirate
31/05/2012 at 21:51
Britrisky wrote (see)
How best to dry the wetsuit after, though???

Rinse it out in the shower and hang it up over the bath, or outside (but not in the sun).

Dustboy    pirate
01/06/2012 at 00:04

First time I put my wettie in the bath to soak, Mrs DB walked in in the middle of the night and thoght she saw a headless black man in the bath and screamed! LOL.

Tempted to join Lauren555 Sunday at Heron, never been to Heron before and I need to OW soon.

01/06/2012 at 15:36

I haven't done any OW ... probably won't do any this year either. I'm so behind on my running, I really need to concentrate on that.

Blisters    pirate
01/06/2012 at 22:24

Pool day, short session, but somehow, it felt easier. 20 lengths done in twos. The breaks between pairs of lengths were smaller, because the HR was much more under control.
Relaxing appears to be hugely beneficial and I drank less water. Less, not none.
Happy.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
02/06/2012 at 20:13

Turn your wettie inside out before you hang it up to dry, then turn it the right way. The inside takes longer to dry.

Blisters    pirate
03/06/2012 at 22:20

Swimming tonight. The session briefing was doled out. So many 200's hard, then 50's then more 200's. Yadder yadder. I can just about do 50m at a time, then rest for 20 seconds or so. At the end of the hour I was pumping. I can positively feel my upper body muscles growing. I bet I did 20 lengths! Soon I'll be trying to link them together. There is measurable progress. I think I managed 4 on the trot at the beginning. Of course, I got the usual problem of "over-hydrating".

07/06/2012 at 20:13

hi all

has anyone mastered fly on here?  I've mostly mastered tumble turns which is one of my swim ambitions forever, mostly mastered front crawl, another ambition, and final ambition is to be able to do a passable fly

did first attempt in the pool today, was feeling brave as a guy was in the lane working on his and he was self taught. did a couple of lengths with a kick board just doing the kick (not allowed fins in the pool  ) and felt reassured that I actually moved. bloke borrowed my float and I decided to brave introducing the arms. am pleased to say I managed 3/4 of a length, twice.  the first length wasn't too successful as I wasn't lifting out of the water enough and mostly just dragging my arms through the water, but the 2nd attempt was much better and definitely lifting out of the water enough to do the arms.

BUT ... the kick and breathing timing ... I kind of understand there are two kick phases, a smaller kick followed by a large kick that drops the hips and lifts the shoulders, where are the arms during this phase, have watched on you tube but can anyone break it down into laymans terms. think today I was kind of doing two kicks and probably lifting teh arms too late so having to pull up out of the water using my shoulders. think it was better on the 2nd length as it did feel more "together". bloody knackering though, but didnt' drown or make a complete idiot of myself (I hope). I know from front crawl it's all technique and timing and fly is even more so.  I can't afford lessons as on long term sick.  

also any training tips for fly if you can't use fins gratefully received, the kick with the kickboard was really hard and knackering but it did make it easier when it came to introducing the arms

hope everyones swims are going well  

07/06/2012 at 20:16

ps, v jealous about all the OW swimming going on, one day ... one day ... 

07/06/2012 at 21:22

Loon, the way our trainer taught us to swim fly was to start with using one arm at a time and then put the two together, so, do a length with one left arm stroke, then one right arm, then both together. The trick with fly is  while your hands are underwater, point them up to the surface, then your arms and shoulders naturally follow your hands out of the water. Don't think I explained that very well?

Two lots of OW training today, LJS did 3000m and 3800m, I managed 2000m and 2780m.

Edited: 07/06/2012 at 21:23
07/06/2012 at 21:38

thanks wolf, kind of makes sense, hands up to the surface through the whole underwater phase?

well done on swim

07/06/2012 at 21:39

ps, if you do one arm stroke, what is the other one doing, staying at your side/out in front, or do you use a float?

Edited: 07/06/2012 at 21:40
Britrisky    pirate
07/06/2012 at 22:31
2nd OW swim today - in the rain! So weird walking towards a very choppy and cold looking lake and then the wetsuit keeps you warm - isn't technology amazing??

For those who haven't done it yet I found the second visit much better than the first. I benefited from the bouyancy instead of fighting it. Swam further with no breast stroke and fewer stops - starting to think I will complete the distance.

Still not sure about timing, though - I guess it doesn't matter for Oly distance as there won't be a cut-off.

Starting lessons on Monday so hopefully that'll help me be quicker
07/06/2012 at 23:00

sounds great britrisky. I really would like to try OW but financially isn't an option at the mo. next year ..........  feel more confident about trying it now I have contact lenses I can swim in

Britrisky    pirate
07/06/2012 at 23:39

Sounds like you're making great progress in the pool in the meantime, Loon! 

08/06/2012 at 10:57

just having fun really brit  I am not very fast and not very stylish but I have fun

08/06/2012 at 11:01

Loon - your "other" arm is in the recovery phase. Try it and you'll see what I meant

08/06/2012 at 11:28

will give it a go, thanks

08/06/2012 at 13:15

Loon, I love butterfly.  Its one of those strokes that you can struggle with for years, then one day it just falls into place.

My advice would be to forget the fins as I find that they hinder the leg kick, but maybe thats just me.  Rather than kicking the legs, I focus on wiggling the hips up and down, and then the legs (and arms) will follow.  People who use fins and focus on the legs tend to kick from the knee which doesn't help with the dolphin movement that you are trying to achieve.

With the arms, I tend to focus on throwing my arms and head into the water.  By making an effort to throw your head forward, the upper body will tend to follow.  I don't focus on lifting my arms out of the water as such, if that makes sense.

If you can't get the double leg kick then start of by just concentrating on the big kick as you throw your arms over.  The second kick tends to come naturally as you get more experienced with the wiggle part of the stroke.

I won't recommend any drills as I have found that they tend to make you do things wrong.  Single arm (resting arm out in front) is good while you are learning how to put the different parts of the stroke together, but it also encourages you to turn it into a front crawl pull rather than a butterfly pull.  I would also not recommend using any sort of float as they tend to prevent you from doing the wiggle properly.

The only drill that I think worth doing is concentrating on the wiggle with both arms either by your sides or out in front.  The wiggle really is the key to the whole stroke and if you get that right the rest will follow.  Do lengths under water, only coming up to breathe. Men tend to struggle more as they don't naturally have the flexibility in the hips that women tend to have.

08/06/2012 at 14:53

and Loon, remember it is compulsary when doing butterfly to knock the hairstyle off the ladies in the next lane over.

11,801 to 11,820 of 12,922 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.