Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

11,801 to 11,820 of 12,911 messages
29/05/2012 at 12:32

Had a good swim yesterday - managed about 500m without stopping and then did some further sets of x 2 lengths working on my technique and breathing every 5. 

I seem to lack the basic ability to count lengths though which is really annoying...... i think because in my head i do a kind of 1-2-3 breath, 1-2-3 breath which throws me when i need to remember how many lengths i've done.

Felt shattered afterwards. 

Blisters    pirate
29/05/2012 at 22:39

That sounds good Blunders, how long have you been at this swim training lark?

30/05/2012 at 08:29

My effort to make bilateral breathing a habit is paying off.  Yesterday I found myself breathing bilaterally in the river without even thinking about it!  Just need to transfer that habit to the sea now.  For some reason the waves seem to push me back into my comfort zone of 4 stroke breathing

30/05/2012 at 13:53
Blisters wrote (see)

That sounds good Blunders, how long have you been at this swim training lark?

Hi Blisters - I started as a new years resolution.  I wanted to start swimming more and resolved to go once a week but to safeguard against crap will power  i signed up for lessons.  It's funny though as i always thought of myself as 'above average' at swimming (even without actually doing any !) - big reality check once i started swimming with the lesson regulars

Anyway, It's turned out great as a) it makes sure i go each week, b) i'm getting proper advice c) it also includes unlimited useage of the pool - all for about £55 every 12 weeks - absolute bargain in my book !

Anyway, once my swimming started to come together i entered and completed my first tri a couple of weeks ago.

How about you ?

30/05/2012 at 20:39

Everyone sounds like they are doing great!

Ive been back in the pool twice this week, and managed 30 lengths yesterday and also 32 or 34 today (I lose count, dammit!). I do it with a float between the legs as advised by a swimming coach (who took pity on me and i ended up with a free lesson!!)  its meant to replicate the feel of a wetsuit, its far easier, I dont think i'll ever be entering a pool based tri - unless the float forms part of the rules!!

I was even shoved out of the slow lane. Very proud moment!!

Britrisky    pirate
30/05/2012 at 23:30
Hi,
My first post here - I've studied the videos on YouTube and dabbled with the TI book. I feel like Rebecca Adlington but am so slow.

Doing Ripon (Olympic distance) tri in July, so trying hard to learn to do crawl faster. Had a bit of coaching but have now signed up for lessons. Really wanna learn TI but no one seems to do it up here (Hull).

I'll see how the lessons go - reckon it's just down to practice. Have improved a lot in the 3 weeks since I started - from just 2 lengths to a full hour without stopping, so that's encouraging.

Got my wetsuit from eBay yesterday so hoping to try out in the local lake after work tomorrow - dead excited / scared / nervous!!
31/05/2012 at 12:54

Weekly swim lesson last night.  Had first go with some fins which was cool... I'm sure that i should have been focusing on arm technique, but i was having so much fun speeding up and down the pool that it kind of went out the window.

By the time i tried to actually improve my technique i was knackered !  It also reminded me why i've never got on with golf.  Trying to break the swing (or stroke) into it's individual parts and then put it back together again seems beyond my coordination abilities !

Despite this, i gathered my resolve and stayed after the lesson to complete my 12 lengths which were really difficult initially without my speedy fins !

31/05/2012 at 15:24

Welcome Britrisky. I was also intending to do Ripon but ended up having to gig with my band the night before (late night, lugging equipment etc - not good prep!) so have opted for the Eccup 10M run on the Sunday and will do the Leeds Xpress Tri instead a couple of weeks later. It also allowed me to chicken out of having to do OW.

Blunders ... fins are too much fun.

nameless wrote (see)
I was even shoved out of the slow lane. Very proud moment!!

Now that made me laugh.

Supercaz ... rivers, sea  ... sure you're in the rigth thread?

Body rotation was feeling good in some of my drills yesterday ... seems to fall apart a bit when I try to do the full stroke though. But small steps...

Edited: 31/05/2012 at 15:25
Britrisky    pirate
31/05/2012 at 15:43

DrDan OW for the first time?

I'm off for my first OW swim after work today if I don't wimp out! Sort of excited and nervous - more about wearing my wetsuit for the first time, really.

31/05/2012 at 18:20

I'm doing my first OW swim on Sunday at Heron Lake... I'm excited and nervous too! There's a group of about 5 of us going and we're going to practice mass starts, sighting, getting in and out of a wetsuit (mine arrived yesterday!) and most importantly going for some cake afterwards

Managed a full 500m (more actually - the 500m was 15 lengths, but you always have to do an even number, haha) without stopping yesterday - I hurt my knee on Monday night while doing a circuits class, so resting it at the moment. Think my swimming might improve a lot in the next week or so...

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
31/05/2012 at 19:32

SuperCaz is going to be swimming the Channel in a 3-person relay in the not-so-distant future with Long John Silver and In-the-Blue! So is a good person to give  you some tips.

I'm slow as they come but I can swim for ever, love river and lake swimming but not the sea because the salt water makes me sick.

Lauren555 - don't forget to use Bodyglide or other lubricant under your wetsuit where it's likely to rub, particularly on your neck. Many of us have suffered from that and it isn't nice!

31/05/2012 at 19:48

I second the body glide, I've had a very sore neck from my wetsuit - looked like the love bite from hell!!

Nameless I;m loving you being kicked out of the slow lane, good effort

Ironwolf you're not meant to drink the sea

31/05/2012 at 20:27

Thanks for the tip, guys!

Britrisky    pirate
31/05/2012 at 21:30
Hey - good luck on Sunday, Lauren555 - I'm glad I'm not an OW virgin now. The first lap was pretty hard - I was much more bouyant, as I'd read would happen, but much more out of breath. It was ok, though, because being so bouyant meant it was easier to stop and take stock before ploughing on.

I felt like my technique was terrible, but I got round, and even found the umph to tackle a second lap. This was a confidence builder for sure.

But I did it and I know I'll get better - hope it goes well for you.

No Body glide, and no chafing, although I have 4 bites on one side of my neck - do piranha swim in lakes??!!

How best to dry the wetsuit after, though???
IronCat5    pirate
31/05/2012 at 21:51
Britrisky wrote (see)
How best to dry the wetsuit after, though???

Rinse it out in the shower and hang it up over the bath, or outside (but not in the sun).

Dustboy    pirate
01/06/2012 at 00:04

First time I put my wettie in the bath to soak, Mrs DB walked in in the middle of the night and thoght she saw a headless black man in the bath and screamed! LOL.

Tempted to join Lauren555 Sunday at Heron, never been to Heron before and I need to OW soon.

01/06/2012 at 15:36

I haven't done any OW ... probably won't do any this year either. I'm so behind on my running, I really need to concentrate on that.

Blisters    pirate
01/06/2012 at 22:24

Pool day, short session, but somehow, it felt easier. 20 lengths done in twos. The breaks between pairs of lengths were smaller, because the HR was much more under control.
Relaxing appears to be hugely beneficial and I drank less water. Less, not none.
Happy.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
02/06/2012 at 20:13

Turn your wettie inside out before you hang it up to dry, then turn it the right way. The inside takes longer to dry.

Blisters    pirate
03/06/2012 at 22:20

Swimming tonight. The session briefing was doled out. So many 200's hard, then 50's then more 200's. Yadder yadder. I can just about do 50m at a time, then rest for 20 seconds or so. At the end of the hour I was pumping. I can positively feel my upper body muscles growing. I bet I did 20 lengths! Soon I'll be trying to link them together. There is measurable progress. I think I managed 4 on the trot at the beginning. Of course, I got the usual problem of "over-hydrating".

11,801 to 11,820 of 12,911 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.