Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

11,841 to 11,860 of 12,924 messages
Britrisky    pirate
08/06/2012 at 21:32
Great work, Blisters. I can truly relate to the min per length thing. I'm not that much faster myself. I was at that stage about three weeks ago and can swim non stop for a mile now (maybe longer, I just ran out of time) - so you'll just go further and further now, I'm sure.

I have my first lesson on Monday - see if I can improve my speed a bit ...
08/06/2012 at 21:36

ooh good luck

08/06/2012 at 21:45

!!!

Loon. wrote (see)

Bos

given my tumble turns still aren't a 100% reliable directionally, it's more likely to be front crawl in the next lane over after a tumble turn that will be upsetting ladies hairdos

which hairdo could a tumble turn upset?

08/06/2012 at 22:49

the front crawl suddenly turning up in an unexpected lane would upset a few hairdos even at my speed

08/06/2012 at 22:49

although I think it's fair to say it's only a few times I've ended up in the wrong lane

Britrisky    pirate
08/06/2012 at 23:25

if only I could catch those ladies with the hairdos ...

08/06/2012 at 23:28

lol it can't be that difficult, they're the ones doing breaststroke with their heads out of the water having a chat

Blisters    pirate
10/06/2012 at 00:17

Ah, you mean Ladystroke.

Breaststroke is one up (to breathe) one down (and pull......)

When you watch the proper folks, they include a dolphin/porpoise action in the mid stroke.

Whilst not able to incorporate the porpoise action, I am still faster at breast stroke than crawl.

Blisters    pirate
10/06/2012 at 22:39

Swimming was a shock. Things clicked. I was able to swim lengths, 100m slots at a time. No need to stop to get the HR back down. Slow is the new fast. When I started I said that my initial aim was to learn how to "jog" in swimming terms. I think that I've now got a very basic jog, even if the legs do sink a bit. You really don't comprehend how happy I am this evening.
In running terms I'm like a great fat bloke with a limp waddling out a 12m/m jog round the block for a mile. I respect said geezer, because they are off the sofa.
I'm like a dog in the water. But it's progress.

Britrisky    pirate
10/06/2012 at 22:53
Hey!! Fab - I told you, didn't I?! Great news, Blis
11/06/2012 at 07:51

nice owrk Blisters, not got time for a proper read back this am, but thought I'd cut & paste my 1st tri race report. In short, loved it, even the swim was ok!

As mentioned before, my swimming's not good but I'm pleased (a) to have got to stage I can complete the swim - one length was hard back in Jan, now I can manage 16 'comfortably' (b) that I can still improve a lot. So, format is you predict a swim time on your entry form and they start in order, slowest first, although "self seeding" on the day was also allowed. In a field of 300 I was number 42, with an estimate of 12 mins, the same as quite a few before and after me. You swim up and down the 25m pool, 16 lengths in all, 8 lanes, starting one side, ducking under the rope every two lengths, then exiting the other side of pool. I got passed by 3 or 4 (a tap on the foot means you have to stop at end and let them pass) - a couple of these were women doing breaststroke! I managed one tap myself.

Out to transition and get on the bike. I'm better at this, and was soon picking off loads of the other riders, quite a few on hybrids, in contrast to the mega cool expensive looking tri-bikes later starters have. Got a bit tough into headwind in last couple of miles, but overall felt good. Only got passed by one and reckoned not many left in front of me, just a couple of guys who'd put down dodgy swim times (e.g. number 1 had estimated 46 mins, looking at the results he did 7!!).

Head out onto run and legs felt remarkably ok, not the running through sand feeling I'd been expecting. With my suspect hammies though I knew not to push hard. It was an out and back 5km and I saw the guy who'd come past on bike flying along on his way back, but only another couple, out of reach, so a bit of a lone effort, and as I say, didn't push hard at all. Nice to be one of firstfew to finish, even if the actual result was rather different ......

11/06/2012 at 07:53

Final result 1:25:02 for 108th out of 274 finishers - but with the highest standard deviation:
swim: 12:00 (exactly as predicted!) for 265/274
bike: 52:07 (includes both transitions) for 100/274
run: 20:44 for 30/274

got another one in a month and looking forward to it - the swim is in the pool I learnt (in loosest possible sense) to swim in, and bike/run go very near where my parents live

11/06/2012 at 12:30

Congratulatiuons Jezza!  That is a good result for your first tri and I thin faster than any tri I have ever done.

11/06/2012 at 12:47

Hey all, glad to see everybody is making great progress with the swimming. 

Blisters - seems you've cracked the distance, i know exactly what you mean about wanting to be able to 'jog' when swimming - i'm the same...

Jezza_B - great race report.  Your run time was amazing !!  I did my first tri about a month ago with almost the same overall timem but your run was 8 minutes faster !

Anyway, i've been plodding on in the pool, trying to get myself used to swimming further distance.  I have my 2nd tri looming in two weeks with a 750m swim which i'm now in full panic mode about.

To make things harder, i've just felt so, so tired in the last week.  Not sure if it's the training, on-set of man-flu or what, but i could have easily spent all day in bed on Saturday.  Anyway, going to have a last hard push at training this week and then ease off next week ready for the event.

11/06/2012 at 18:55

good swim today, had another go at fly, kind of went to pot a bit today but it's just a case of practise practise and working on the timing, finding it easier to keep my head in the water to do the arms until I get consistently raising enough out of the water to breath  I tried one arm only but didn't get on with it, I did feel like I wanted to go into front crawl

BUT, did ditch the float and did the dolphin kick on it's own for a length, very hard to "feel" but tried to concentrate less on "kicking" and more on the pivoting around the hip.  at least I moved albeit slowly.

crawl is getting better as well, after someone saying on here about entering the hand much sooner on the recovery, I tried that and kind of "punched" the arm through the water more positively and I defintely felt an increase in power and pace, and it also seemed to make the body roll more definite and flowing

11/06/2012 at 18:57

well done Jezza and great going everyone

11/06/2012 at 20:28

Everyones doing brilliantly!

I did my 2nd OW swim on saturday. Blenheim Palace. My sighting needs looking at....Mr Canoe Man had to stop me from veering totally off course....whoooopsie!!

23.03 minutes, for a 750+ metres as who only knows how far out I went!!!! I definately need presciption goggles....I couldnt see where the bouys were!

Same again next year .

11/06/2012 at 20:45

well done nameless, I think I'd be the same. I've got daily disposable lenses that I can wear with goggles, might be worth looking into, especially for tri-s as you don't have to change goggles for glasses etc

Blisters    pirate
11/06/2012 at 21:44

Great ones Jezza and Nameless, they sound like really good races.

Loon, that's promising about both the crawl and the fly. (Aren't they Steven King novels?)

I'm looking forward to my next session in anticipation...

11/06/2012 at 22:14

lol if not they should be

11,841 to 11,860 of 12,924 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.