Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

101 to 120 of 12,925 messages
WildWill    pirate
06/09/2004 at 16:28
Martin - You should take some lessons

;o)
06/09/2004 at 16:30
First lesson tomorrow - will report back :o)

Can't be bad - works out about £4 a go, and it costs pretty much that to get into the pool for a swim!
07/09/2004 at 22:39
XFR - please report?

I tried to do some crawl during my lunchtime mile yesterday. Really couldn't manage 3 strokes before breathing, so tried breathing every 2 strokes. This felt very unbalanced, but I didn't inhale water too much. I did feel *very* unnatural, though, I just don't feel as though I'm flowing as well as I do with breast stroke. Don't hold out much hope from gym lessons as I got a missed call from them yesterday but they left no message :-( There are other pools in the area, but I haven't been able to find anything on the internet about lessons.
Blisters    pirate
07/09/2004 at 22:45
XFR.....you didn't drown did you?
07/09/2004 at 22:55
Didn't start until 9:15!!

Was great - only a short one as a group so early days, but already got some very useful tips and stuff to work on.

Now seems to be a good time to look - new "term" and so on
07/09/2004 at 22:57
Glad you have surfaced from the deep, XFR. I may have to enquire further afield than my gym for lessons, really want to improve as I feel such a tw*t doing crawl.
08/09/2004 at 08:12
Went for an easy swim yesterday evening - concentrating on the technique, and it all came together - I could feel it working. Managed to do front crawl with no more effort than breaststroke. Chuffed as fk
08/09/2004 at 10:05
I am trying to be less cr@p! I am now trying to perfect my bobbing head under whilst doing breastroke - yes I am one of those who keeps head above!
Have I read something about amount of strokes we should be aiming for in a 25 metre pool? anyone know?
I don't bob head as such I glide it (who am I kidding)
08/09/2004 at 10:53
The stuff I've read says under 20 for 25metres is what you're aiming for - don't know about breaststroke. Mine for freestyle is still about 30, tho I'm getting better.
As for the bobbing head - try and work on it, you get soooo much faster and your body gets more horizontal in the water. The glide portion with the kick also gets longer, so less effort more distance!
I used to be one of the above headers until a mate taught me. The improvement was marked and instant.
08/09/2004 at 10:55
Hmm, think I can do under 30 seconds for 25m at breaststroke, if I can manage a whole length of crawl this lunchtime I'll have a go to see how fast I can manage.
08/09/2004 at 11:15
Beast you have made me happy! I did 19 strokes for 25, that explains why I am not mega mega slow (not fast though for sure) even without putting head under. I think I am quite strong upper body so that must help. Will concentrate on the glide. I do keep my chin quite close to water so I prob dont really bob that much anyway!
Quimby, the 20 relates to strokes not seconds, never fear!
08/09/2004 at 11:31
Oh, right, I misread! I am assuming a stroke is just one arm's worth, not two?
08/09/2004 at 12:08
well in my case its two cos I do breastroke, but I presume 1 if front crawl.not that I am an expert, oh no, I am a cr@p swimmer!
08/09/2004 at 12:12
I can see it now in the pool, I'm going to lose count of the number of lengths I've done as I try and count the number of strokes!
08/09/2004 at 12:18
you know what, I think I did that this morning, probably did at least 40, oh alright not really.
My boyfriend always asks me how many he's done, so not only do I have to count mine, I am expected to know what he's done too!
08/09/2004 at 14:50
Tried counting strokes, average 21 for breast stroke, couldn't get it below 22 for spazzy crawl. But I did do a fair amount of crawl today, I reckon however bad I am, I'm not going to get better if I don't practice. Did 40 lengths breast, then did the rest of the mile (24 lengths) doing alternate lengths of breast/crawl, incorporating 2 triumphant episodes of 2 whole lengths of crawl. Some inhalation of water did occur, but I kept trying the technique I read in an article in Running Fitness, it said to make sure you are still breathing out when your head gets above water - that was you are sure not to have your mouth under water when you breathe in.
08/09/2004 at 15:05
My problem is the water going up my nose and down my throat. I hate that, it makes you gasp sometimes and cough.
08/09/2004 at 15:11
Me too, Wabo, I have my breathing sussed for breast stroke, so don't inhale water, but for crawl it only really comes together about 2 strokes out of 6! Plus I still have to breathe every 2 strokes, kept trying 3 and ran out of air.
10/09/2004 at 14:18
boing for Susie
10/09/2004 at 14:25
Well, since the thread's all boinged up, I'll post something. Didn't swim today (a bit too achy after 13 mile run last night), but yesterday did another mixed breast stroke/crawl session. Managed about half of my session doing 1 length breast/1 crawl. Also managed to up my non-stop crawl attempts to 4 lengths, twice. Definitely need to try using a nose clip, though.
101 to 120 of 12,925 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.