Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,001 to 12,020 of 12,934 messages
Blisters    pirate
10/10/2012 at 19:25

Sometimes it's not about pulling the goggles tighter. In fact, it usually isn't.

It is important to get a pair that fits properly, but that usually isn't very difficult. A tiny droplet after 15 minutes doesn't really count as a leak. I would imagine that you are having similar issues to me from when I started. I've got a couple of crow's feet, and try too hard. Therefore my face will show the effort and tense up. The more I've swum, the more relaxed I've become and fewer leaks occur.
My first goggles were a foam edged racing pair, designed to be scragged really tightly, so that the racer could dive in and pound the water to froth. The chlorine and age made the glue give up.
My current pair are Zoggs, (Phantom) nothing fancy. Silicone edge seal is the most popular for being a good seal, but they do the job really well.

Cramps. Again, it's primarily about not relaxing when runners turn to swimming. Obviously there are a load of contributory factors. Hydration (yup, even in the pool), salt balance, cold water, (well, it's cold if you're not thrashing repetition lengths), swimming for longer than before, and holding tension in your muscle for extended periods of time.
So. Take a 500ml of weak juice. Push off the wall with your feet, especially if you are feeling the onset of cramp in the foot. Relax. If you need to swim more slowly, then so be it. Build the endurance then go back to increasing the stroke rate when the stroke is better.

I'm not the expert, I'm just a beginner in the thick of it.

11/10/2012 at 16:21

I'm not the expert, I'm just a beginner in the thick of it.

Brilliant.  Amen to that.

Blisters    pirate
14/10/2012 at 22:16

Before you read the next post, just remember.
29 April 2012. 25m crawl. Knackered. Heart rate maxing. A full session in small parts was a whole 400m.

This week.
Tuesday. 2500m 1hour 09. (PB distance)
Friday. 1600m 43min (PB time)
Sunday. 1 hour coaching. A critical assessment of my stroke was requested. It was delivered. There is plenty of opportunity for improvement.

bburn plO.dder    pirate
15/10/2012 at 10:01

That is fantastic progress Blisters, well done

15/10/2012 at 17:20

Thanks Blisters and thats an amazing improvement since April

Blisters    pirate
15/10/2012 at 22:19

How's the latest with the goggles SS?

16/10/2012 at 08:40

Got Amsterdam marathon on Sunday so just swam the once but doing outlaw next year so after I've had a break I'll really get into it. Will let you know thanks

bburn plO.dder    pirate
16/10/2012 at 09:56

Sneaked another half hour swim before work this morning. Basically concentrating on breathing (always good!!).

I still have a tendency to hold my breath if I don't think about it, so I spent the whole time talking to myself under the water -  bubble, bubble breathe, bubble, bubble breathe, over and over again

Blisters    pirate
19/10/2012 at 23:53

Good technique BB. I recall that Mr Smooth taks about humming out through the nasal passages, (or was it the PADI diver course). All the same, it's about exhaling slowly and continually. 2nd stroke breathing can be achieved just like running breathing, but 3rd stroke is more about exhaling for longer NOT about holding the breath for longer. Why? Because that's how you retain CO2 in the system, and that's inefficient.

30/10/2012 at 10:51

Blisters - interesting comment about retained CO2 I'm finding that when breathing bilaterally (every 3rd stroke) I experience the equivalent sensation to anaerobic exercise (running 400m) in the legs and have to fight the urge to thrash about - more than my natural "style" - is this a symptom of excess CO2? 

I do find that, even thou I'm trying to exhale all through the stroke, I tend to do a huge blow out and inhale at every turn (25m) - any suggestions ?

None of the foregoing effects have been present when I breathed every second stroke.

30/10/2012 at 16:04

ironman - Having recently switched to bilateral breathing I am experiencing similar issues. I have been constantly assessing my breathing and I have noticed that I am  holding my breath underwater and not fully exhaling. As a consequence, when it is time to take a breath I expel most of the air at the very last second as I turn to breathe and then end up snatching a breath. Clearly, the further I try to swim the worse it gets, the more breathless I become, panick sets in and the stroke goes to pot leaving me breathless at the end of 50mts. The result is the lungs and aerobic system become full of retained CO2 which feels similar to having completed anaerobic efforts.    

I experienced  similar problems when I started to swim when only breathing to one side. Once I had got the timing and breathing right I was able to swim without any of the aforementioned issues, That is why I know if I continue to practice and stick at the technique it will eventually come good.     

The key would appear to be getting the timing of the exhalation in tune with the stroke, so when you take a breath all the waste products have been discharged leaving your system ready to receive another breath.

That's my assessment for what it's worth. Good luck. 

Dustboy    pirate
30/10/2012 at 21:21

Hum out through your nose. It really does work. So as soon as your face goes back in, start humming out. I find it best when the hum lasts 3 strokes, which is handy coz that makes for bilateral breathing.

Try pyramid humming, so 50M breathing every 3rd, then 5th, then 7th strokes, see what suits you best, also helps you to learn "your hum". Every 7 strokes is a feckin' long hum but it doen't half teach you to be efficient.

All IMO blah blah blah

Blisters    pirate
30/10/2012 at 22:58

Yeah, I'm still learning how to breathe. My default is the runner's style (in/hold/out) which is quite plainly inefficient, but it's got me this far. I've been confined to using a short hotel pool (14m) for a couple of days, so have been focussing solely on breathing, especially to the weak side.

I'm finding that the leading arm is necessary to hold the head up, and the other arm needs to be delivering quite a power stroke. The bigger the better, because that forward propulsion enables the leading hand to act like a bow plane. When I tried swimming slowly but breathing to the weak side I could only snatch gulps of air/water mix.

More practice, more practice, more practice.

Blisters    pirate
03/11/2012 at 00:17

Got another mile tabbed out.

Some lengths were alternate breathing and they even seemed to be resembling control. I admit here, thet they were far from being controlled, but timing wise, it felt a bit that way. So that's 3 lengths out of 64. Progress.

04/11/2012 at 20:20

Apart from putting in many hours at the pool training my muscles and nervous system to perfect incorrect technique; I have been reading from a variety of different sources to try to improve all aspects of my stoke. I stumbled across a copy of TI in Waterstones, which I picked up, what a revelation. After reading the salient points on Friday, I headed down to the pool on Satrurday to put what I had read into practice.

After around half an hour I reduced my strokes per length from around 28 - 30 down to 22!!!!! I couldn't believe it. Still loads of work to do, as I could not consistantly achieve 22 over a protracted period, as I need to further practice the technique, however, the results are very encouraging.  

By the way I am still persevering with the bilateral breathing, I figure that I might as well try to get it right from the start, despite the discomfort.   

Pratice, practice and more practice, oh and I forgot to mention more practice. 

Blisters    pirate
04/11/2012 at 23:59

Pyramid session tonight.
25-50-75-100-75-50-25 (3 sets)
Alternating steady with fast, so the 25 and 75s were steady, the 50s and 100s were fast. As much as I could I aimed to be stylish on the steady bits, and coach was pleased to see that I was anaerobic after the fast bits.

I may not be the slowest in the pool now. A new member has arrived, and will be faster than me once his technique is sorted, but in the meantime there's a bit of an interesting contrast. When he thrashes a length then he's faster, but he get's "tired out" faster. I was also surprised tonight that I actually caught up with a Lane 4 regular. She was presumably doing a steady length more steady than I was! Even so, it was a first for me.

05/11/2012 at 13:35

Thanks everyone - looks as if I am not alone in poisoning my CV system when in the pool !!!! (wonder what else I can do for - what I like to call - "fun")

05/11/2012 at 13:43

Kavanagh - as someone who dips in and out of this forum I am at a loss to follow the example you set in your entry yesterday as I havn't a clue what "TI" stands for 

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
05/11/2012 at 17:32

TI - Total Immersion, a swimming style invented by Terry Laughlin and known as "fishlike swimming". Some people benefit enormously by learning it. I'm one of those who found it made me swim much slower. You can take courses in it but they are not cheap. However, if it helps, why not? Wild Will is someone who really improved using TI technique.

Edited: 05/11/2012 at 17:35
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
06/11/2012 at 09:35

Pre-brekkie 2000m swim this morning.

12,001 to 12,020 of 12,934 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.