Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,041 to 12,060 of 12,934 messages
21/11/2012 at 23:46

T Hill I would second the use of fins.  I only started tri coachingsessions about a month ago and it has helped me enormously.  I could do 25m with no swimming aids before gasping for air at the end.  A second 25m with a 30s break nearly killed me.  Almost puked when the coach was talking to me.

He gave me some fins which enabled me to focus on my rhythm, technique, and breathing.  With fins I've gone from strength to strength now that I have to worry about my legs dropping.  Now doing 15*50m with them. 

I don't get off that lightly, I get rid of fins for part of session so that I don't become dependent on them.  Use pull buoy and nothing at all on some drills.  In both of these I take the benefits from the fin drill and it's much easier.

Keep at it.

btw.   Has anyone got a copy of 'Triathlon Swimming Made Easy: The Total Immersion Way...' that they would like to sell?

Edited: 21/11/2012 at 23:47
22/11/2012 at 08:03

PP - I have a new copy of Total Immersion and a Swim Smooth DVD 10 steps to Front Crawl. Cost to purchase £40. I will sell them both for £20.00 + postage. If you are interested drop me a line on s.kavanagh54@yahoo.co.uk      

22/11/2012 at 08:03

Back to Tri Club swim last night, funny you should mention fins, i got to test a pair i had on order that have now arrived out. I ended up doing a little over 40 lengths of crawl over the session, for the majority alternating between pull buoy, fins and aidless swimming. There is a definate improvement, and when i slow down i can go a fair bit further, proabably like my running which was too fast to start with and i had to slow down to go the distance.

Its great to hear that you were not scard off but all the talk of getting you signed up for an IM, and even better that your swimming is progressing so nicely. Not that i have any great deal of knowledge, but the swim smooth stuff seems really good, the introduction chapters of the book were slow and did send me to sleep more than once. However, once i got into the improving your swimming chapters there was lots of useful information in there, and through words and pictures they convey things to the reader very well. The only TI stuff i have seen is some of their videos, which seemed quite dated.

22/11/2012 at 13:27

PP (not trying to kill the sale Stephen K - honest ) I Did actually pick up a copy of  "Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way to Swim Better, Faster and Easier" last week for £1.60 + £.1.95 postage from ebay which I reckoned was on a par with picking it up in a charity shop - have only read first few chapters and am finding it a bit evangelical I await the see the results when I try to apply the principals in the pool

22/11/2012 at 20:49

Thanks Stephen, but I was specifically looking for the book I mentioned.  The Swim Smooth dvd sounds interesting but there is a box set which covers the OW stuff.  

Appreciate the offer though

Edited: 22/11/2012 at 20:51
22/11/2012 at 21:41
PP - No worries mate, best of luck.

IM 1984 - Cheers, I need to start having a look at eBay and the local charity shop, there are clearly big savings to be had.
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
23/11/2012 at 11:45

I honestly think books and videos are all very well but nothing beats swimming with a good coach. All the  better if you can get one to video you as you swim. It's surprising how different your technique can be from what you thought it was. My OH is an excellent swimmer but even he didn't realise he is crossing the center line with his left arm until he saw it on camera.

Blisters    pirate
26/11/2012 at 10:30

Last night was a bit of a killer session.

25m/50m/75m/100m then 20s rest and repeat 4 times (lane 1 got 6 reps). It sounds easy enough until coach says I want you all to be outside of the comfort zone. Therefore, it's going to be
25m fly
50m back
75m breast
100m crawl
Afterwards he commented that he had spotted that I was doing my butterfly with breathing every other stroke (like it's supposed to be). Actually I found that 22 m of fly was do-able. The 50m backstroke I find to be a killer.

A hard work session. Maybe the pint of beer with the big Sunday lunch wasn't such a great idea.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
26/11/2012 at 19:59

I have the perfect out - since my hip surgery I'm banned from swimming breaststroke!

Blisters    pirate
27/11/2012 at 10:54

I've always swum breast stroke, but it was quite a challenge in the middle of a high heart rate session. My rhythm was all to cock.

27/11/2012 at 21:48

Just had it pointed out to me last Saturday, that my body is snaking through the water. It seems that I am not engaging my core and my legs are just swinging around causing drag.

To rectify this I need to engage my core, increase my leg kick to a 4 beat kick and also ensure that my toes touch as they pass to prevent scissor kicking, another bad habit I have aquired.

Apart from the above everything else isn't to bad.        

28/11/2012 at 13:15

Last swim session and it looks like something may have clicked with my swimming. I've managed to slow my pace down to something i can now sustain for far greater distances. My last set of the evening was 500m FC, I completed that and didn't feel i had to stop, breathing felt good, and the mile before new year seems more achievable.

Coach after the session gave me a couple of sets to try and work on first was 3-500m wu, 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m with a small rest between each set. Next session should work the opposite way, 3-500m wu, then 800m, 400m, 200m, 100m. His other sugestion was 3-500m wu, then 4x400m with 2 min rests between sets, each time i do this i should try to reduct the rest time until i can do the mile.

Ended up with a cold that was threatning most of last week setting in sunday afternoon, normally i just keep going with work and i really struggle to get rid of colds. This time i took a couple of days off, ended up sleeping for 17-18 hours monday, and woke up feeling loads better, did the same tuesday, and today I'm back in work and feeling better than i was before the cold set in. Training is a little behind, but if I'm still feeling good tonight I'll go along for another hours swim session.

Blisters    pirate
28/11/2012 at 14:58

Either my maths is wrong T-Hill, or you are already doing 2 miles in a training session. 3x 500m is a mile in it's own right, let alone a warm up, the tally being 3000m. So it's just the 2x 400m warm down to finish the Iron Distance. Tough luck on the cold, but a very brave approach to dealing with it by taking days off. It's easy to say that it's in everyone's best interests (which it probably is), but there's always some boss or peer who will grumble about not being really ill. Clearly you needed the recovery too. Don't try and catch up lost training sessions though.

Good news on the stroke development SK4, that's some really useful help being outlined. I'm feeling as though I need some more input from Coach. Clearly others are 50% faster than me, and from their upper body muscularity (or lack of it) it's not just about power. So we have drag reduction and efficient use of what muscle power is available. Hmm, Mr Smooth, here we come.

28/11/2012 at 15:05

Blisters - I think T Hill means between 300m & 500m w/u not 3 x.

With all the rest i.e. 100m/200m/400m and 800m are these supposed to be done at a faster speed or is it just to get you to swim further.

Think I ought to go and study my Fink training plan properly

28/11/2012 at 15:17

The idea with the 100/200/400/800 is to keep the effort the same and increase the distance, but the follow up session 800/400/200/100 the speed should increas as you get to the shorter sets.
SS - you are right on the warm up, was told to do what feels right for that session but aim between 3 and 5 hundred metres.
I very rarely take time off work ill, and have worked with the same people for a long time now, hopefully that gives me the benifit of the doubt. That said i know what you mean, and i really don't know if its best to just keep going or to stop and fight what ever you have off before you continue. I'll not be trying to catch up on any missed training, monday is a rest day, so I'm only one day down for the weak, will be taking today easy too. The goal is to work up to a mile with no breaks before new year, in an hours session i think i can go the distance now, but that will involve stopping resting, doing some drills etc.

If i go to swim today I'll keep a track of the total distance i cover.

Dustboy    pirate
28/11/2012 at 16:44

hilly, if you get a copy of the plan for the eve from the club, you can work out your distance by how far you got through the set. Think I made it to the end once! They are usually about 2500 to 2700M long in teh crap swimmers lane

Blisters    pirate
02/12/2012 at 22:29

Session tonight was a flogging for all attendees, with coach demanding alternate breathing. He also stated that it will take at least 6 sessions before it becomes embedded. Deep joy.

The pool is significantly shallower as a result of our efforts.

03/12/2012 at 14:13

Du, dun ,dun ... I have venture to the local pool twice on my own now, not as part of a club session or anything. Both times I managed 1K in 1Hr, so no I just need to be able to do that twice as quick and for twice as long and without hanging on to the wall for a breather every 2 lengths.

Blisters    pirate
04/12/2012 at 12:14

Ali, well done on achieving that progress, it's certainly a stage that any swim coach can build from.

14/12/2012 at 20:44

I'm looking for some encouragement re distances & times, I can knock out 2km in 40 minutes, front crawl, alternate breathing, no breaks, that's the furthest I've ever swum & I'm doing that twice a week at the moment before I start the Fink 30 week competitive program in Feb.  Man it's dull, that's 100 lengths of the pool I swim in.

I did a 2000 metre session last week that had 800 metres of drills as well still managed around 45 mins with a few breaks of 60 seconds between sets.

Tonight I was in the OAP lane, 12 year old kids were pi**ing past me in the fast lane in their squad lessons little gits but I know my technique is better than it was, I've had a good few lessons now, stroke count is down & my Poolmate is telling me efficiency is around 42 which is above average supposedly?

Am I really going to be able to double my distances & up the speed before September?

Should I be doing more 'zombie' swims before the 30 week program starts for IM Wales?  Maybe even get toward doing the 3.8km before mid Feb?  The base I need for swimming feels like it's lacking, my bike & run base I'm less concerned about.

Any help most welcome.

12,041 to 12,060 of 12,934 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.