Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,061 to 12,080 of 12,912 messages
seren nos    pirate
14/12/2012 at 21:49

I wish i could knock out 2k in 40 mins.no chance

15/12/2012 at 07:47

Final RV, sorry mate can't help you, I think you are on the wrong thread.    

15/12/2012 at 12:05

Final RV

you will be fine. With consitent and frequent training you will improve. and with swimming the improvement will be a step change.
You wont need to be able to swim the distance in Feb in order to swim the distance in Sept. You will find you will improve because of the swim training, but also the bike and run training will help your endurance in the swim. Also the effect of the wetsuit

If 100 laps are dull why not start Fink now, or pick Fink sessions at random?  No reason to wait till Feb. You can then restart the program in Feb.

Blisters    pirate
19/12/2012 at 21:32

Fahq Me, 100 lengths takes me 75 minutes on the few occasions I've got there.

I can understand how you feel about it being dull, but as you say yourself, it's ONLY 45 minutes. I have a couple of suggestions, and these may be off the wall for December.
1 - Find a 50 metre pool. They are less popular, but you'll do fewer lengths.
2 - Swim in the sea. I started an outdoor swim friend-finding thread, worth a go.

21/12/2012 at 13:36
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all on the "not so good" swimmers R us thread
21/12/2012 at 15:03

Did 4x 400m with 2 min rests between sets today, feels good to be back in the pool, just hoping i don't pick up another cold from swimming. Am still over rotating to breathe, need to look for a way to stop that, so any suggestions would be welcomed, and would really like to see the times starting to come down from 10min per 400.

Doner Kebab    pirate
21/12/2012 at 21:44
Keep one goggle under water, if both come out you are over rotating or holding your head up too much, like I do
22/12/2012 at 04:13

DK is correct, that is what a coach would reccommend. However, I've tried the one goggle approach and I end up with a mouth full of water. You have try to hold your mouth like Popeye whilst breathing. 

Blisters    pirate
24/12/2012 at 12:53

Watching the Mr Smooth video analysis, what we have got to do is a combination of things. I am similarly 10min for 400m, and find that I am quite simply NOT the easiest and smoothest swimmer.

A Smoothie keeps his head dead still and on the centre line of his body. His perfect roll action enables the crown of his head to always keep pushing a bow wave forwards. This in turn generates a trough conveniently at mouth level. His constant speed through the water accentuates the height of the wave and depth of the trough.

We land lubbers make a Horlicks of the process in a multitude of ways.
-We're slow, so the wave is small at best.
-We pulse forwards with each arm stroke, so the wave/trough is created then lost with every stroke. In all probability we try and breathe as the trough fills and becomes a wave itself!
-We lift our head a bit, and the bow wave disappears.
-We're not smooth, so sometimes the trough's there, and other times it's not.

Personally, I'm happy to accept over-rotation. It's a skill that's going to be necessary in open water. When you've been swimming for a couple or 6 years I'm sure that the neat bow wave will be second nature. It's all a bit poncy for a wind swept lake though.

15/01/2013 at 16:22

I'm in the US on business at the moment & managing to keep training despite being offered plates of food big enough to end world famine.

So last night I went swimming at the Spa in the hotel I'm at, 20 metre pool, laned off, seems perfect, or so I thought..........................

2 swimmers only per lane, speak to Lifeguard who will allocate a lane when someone drops out. 

5 minutes later I'm allocated a lane.

15 minutes later having done my warm up I get stopped by the Lifeguard, no hand paddles allowed as they are a danger to other swimmers.  The other swimmer in my lane had gone, I had the lane to myself.

Oh well, I pull out the pull buoy, not allowed, no reason given.

So finally I pull out the kickboard, not allowed, swimmers must swim unaided, if swimming aids are needed I should use the childrens pool.

And to think Weissmuller, Phelps & Spitz all had to deal with this but still made it to the top of the game.

Too many rules.

Blisters    pirate
15/01/2013 at 21:44

FFS that really sucks, FRV. They'll be taking the water out of the pool next so you can't drown.

Got to my pool today and had a bit of a bosh. A mile done, focussing on the pull phase and not digging too deeply. Although I was chased up the lane a couple of times (by a guy with hand paddles) I still managed a good time for me of 43 minutes. Then my watch strap broke with a mere 5 metres left to swim!

15/01/2013 at 21:52

Every time I come here (which is a lot so Mrs FRV keeps on telling me) I notice more and more rules, most of which beggar belief that a: there's a rule & b: people need to be told in the first place.

Blisters    pirate
12/02/2013 at 20:12

Time to get back in the pool.

Training last Sunday week included a couple of new experiences for me.

-I tried out my wetsuit for the first time, and the speed it gave me was phenomenal! Mostly it's due to the higher position in the water, as demonstrated by the fact that I took on a lot more water: my relative head position was new.

-Then I took it off and we did a time trial. That fixed a reference point.

-On Sunday just gone we had another set of drills, skills and training sets. These were just 100m at a time, but swum harder. A new focus on legs to get me higher provided more impetus through less drag. I was almost able to complete the set without being lapped. That's a first!

-Today, free swim at the pool, nailed a 400m time trial better than last week's!
-Continuing on with the clock still running, took it to the mile in 43:30, and that's close to a PB, despite stops and swapping through 3 lanes. Something has clicked....

14/02/2013 at 10:15

Woo a little progress for the bear Perfect timing as I was just starting to feel down about swimming again.

We did saluting drills at training last night and they are fab, make me laugh so much I nearly drown but very simply transform my windmilling arms into high elbow ones that actually allow me to pull through the water and go faster.

I  ache a lot to day but have been given the go ahead to concentrate on this new technique un-supervised too. 

Only problem is I seem to have developed a pull to the left when doing this so have got to work hard on my straightness.

My times won't be improving soon  but if i can crack this next step I think I might just make the cut off.

Blisters    pirate
14/02/2013 at 21:10

Great news Ali B

The straightness thing is over-rated. You've still got to develop a habit of looking where you're going. Don't rely on the person near you. At our end of the pack they are likely to be just as zig-zaggy.

We've done shoulder tap drills, and something called "broken arrow". Now that's bizarre. The biggest development for me was actually wearing my wetsuit on the pool. It lifted my legs, and demonstrated just how much drag I was creating. Since then I've been focussing on getting the legs up. The result?

A PB tonight for the 64L mile at 42:00 minutes. Talk about happy, I'm beginning to think I can swim!

18/02/2013 at 12:18

Having ordered one on 16th December 2012 my Huub Big Buoy finally turned up today, 2 months later.  It's an impressive buoy it has to be said but the complete lack of customer service means I won't be buying anything from Huub again, however good their suits & other gear is, shambolic.

Blisters    pirate
18/02/2013 at 22:01

Never heard of them.
I've been using Fit 4 Swim, but have to agree that some on line retailers don't actually carry stock. F4S have always emailed me with offers of replacements, a bit like Tescos do!

Low price
Good Quality
Fast Service

Pick any two from three

Blisters    pirate
28/02/2013 at 23:44

Swim session. Proper one.
As LMH noted, you can plod along all you like, and then something clicks and you make progress. Today was another progress day.
16L = 400m= 10:05 without trying
64L = Mile= 41:39 PB by about 2 minutes.
100L= 2.5km= 65:35 PB
I started off the session trying to be ultra smooth and breathing every 3rd stroke. Amazingly I actually managed to get decent air on my unfavoured left side. That alone would have been considered to be progress. But I'm counting lengths because they all count, so reverted to RHS breathing only.
I do need to keep doing this sort of session, because it's what will build up the feeble arm muscles, and I need to do this plus 50%, with it all feeling under control. I was a bit tired around the 80 mark to be honest.
Happy swimbler.

01/03/2013 at 22:09

I'm just starting with this triathlon stuff, I'm doing a novice race in April and swimming is definitely my weak event.  I've been trying to do front crawl and testing the breathing every third stroke, alternating on each side.  I can't do it consistantly and I definitely can't do more than two lengths without swallowing water and having to revert to breast stroke.

Should I breathe out over a couple of strokes or should I try to breathe out quickly and expell all the air in one go?

Stupidly I loose track of what lap I'm on, (because counting to 16 is so hard ) is there a trick for keeping an accurate count?

My legs don't seem to do much, most of the speed is from my arms, is this normal?

After two hours in the pool yesterday I came out knackered and slightly dazed but with a new PB of 11.02min for the 16 lengths.  What's the best way to recover?

pete_inthehills

01/03/2013 at 22:26

Keep practising breathing every third stroke, ie bilateral breathing. Also practise a length doing breathing every 2, then 3, then 5, to finish try every 7 strokes. This will get you used to breathing out slowly over a greater number of strokes, also no need to gasp for a huge lungful of air, just a normal breath. Oh and very 7 is a killer that I quite often fail at.

Legs do not do most speed the arms do the work but a reasonable kick is needed, so yes normal.

Counting laps is hard, I cheat and let my garmin do it for me.

Recovery for me is chocolate milkshake.

Edited for typos.

Edited: 01/03/2013 at 22:28
12,061 to 12,080 of 12,912 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.