Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,081 to 12,100 of 12,942 messages
Dustboy    pirate
02/03/2013 at 00:13

7 is a total killer CJ.

Re counting, only do it at the start end, it will always be even numbers so it's easier to remember, well, up to about 4 anyway!

Blisters    pirate
02/03/2013 at 00:40

pete

I really struggled to "get" the breathing. Although I wanted to learn 3 stroke style from the outset, coach persuaded me to try 2 stroke, and that is what I needed. It's enabled me to maintain a nice steady rhythm and get a feel for the water. It has been almost a year swimming twice or three times a week, and I've only got as far a 4 lengths with 3 stroke style. I'm almost ready to convert. What I'm trying to say, is don't stress about 3 stroke.
What all us newbies have found is that it only takes about 6 weeks to go from a struggled 2 lengths of front crawl to being able to do half a mile. All you need is a little coaching and an attitude that gets you training. IT WILL CLICK.

02/03/2013 at 08:21
Thanks for all these comments. I will keep working on this. I have asked at the pool about training and all they could suggest was going to the adult learning class which i didnt fancy really. I have about 6 weeks to the race so l'll keep at it and if i have to do part breast stroke and part front crawl then thats what i'll do.
Blisters    pirate
02/03/2013 at 13:14

Join a tri club?

02/03/2013 at 23:41
I've been on youtube this evening watching triathlon techniques. There is a tri club about 20 miles away, if i get the tri bug then i'll contact them.
Blisters    pirate
12/03/2013 at 21:03

Hopefully this message should come across as inspirational rather than boastful. Less than 12 months ago I parked myself on this thread to get tips, hints and help with the aspiration. Progress was quite quick, as it had been promised. After 6 weeks we'd got front crawl after a fashion, to be able to do 400m, 800m, 1000m. Another month or so, with style improvements (from a low base line) we got it to 1 mile. Then a plateau. It took ages to make a measurable improvement.

An opportunity presented itself and I decided that I'd better swim this evening, and swim hard.

So..............
152 lengths
that's 3800m
or 2.4 miles
or 1x Iron Distance swim
Cherry popped
1hr 43min so it looks like I'll be allowed to have a bike ride.

Well chuffed.

12/03/2013 at 22:34

Well done Blisters, that is exactly the time it took me to do the swim at The Outlaw last year. I had been hoping for 1 hour 50 to 2 hours.

Blisters    pirate
12/03/2013 at 23:05

And now my nasal passages are streaming like I've got a rotten cold. It's just the reaction to the chlorine.

13/03/2013 at 07:46

thanks Blisters, it does help.  Last week I was just trying to see how fast I could go in breast stroke - I managed 10.30 for 16 lengths which is respectible for me.  This week I've been concentrating on technique in front crawl.  I'm going to practise the breathing for the next couple of weeks knowing that at the worst I can probably do the swim section in 10 minutes even if I only do breast stroke.

When you breathe out under water, are you breathing out in one long breath or a quick blast?

Blisters    pirate
13/03/2013 at 14:08

Pete

Ah, now that is a good question.

The techie swimblers will try and teach us the correct technique, which is to breathe out through the nose in one continuous and gentle stream. There are many u-tube videos demonstrating this, I think that SwimSmooth show triathlete champ Chrissie Wellington demonstrating how it's done.

In answer to your question, which was what I did, the answer is that I adopt more of a runner's style. Air in for a count of one, rotate on count of two, exhale on three, four, rotate five. Sometimes I can get a steady exhalation, but only if I'm focussing on it.

I have this feeling that my atrocious breathing pattern is what's causing the swimming pool nose. Other folks use a nose clip.

WildWill    pirate
13/03/2013 at 14:33

I have to use a nose clip ... or the chlorine kills me

Breathing wise I breath on the 3

Blisters    pirate
13/03/2013 at 14:54

Perhaps that's my mistake Wildwill. My head is underwater at that point.

15/03/2013 at 07:36

I use a nose clip, I can't swim otherwise.  The idea of counting my breathing is going to be challenging especially as I can barely count my lengths without getting confused!

I was breathing on 3 which seemed to make me have hurried breathing.  It seemed that as soon as I breathed in, I needed to breathe out.  I'll just have to find something that works for me.

WildWill    pirate
15/03/2013 at 08:57
As part of my drills session I do breathing drills, where I breath on the 2,3,4,5,6,6,5,4,3,2 a full length (or 2) of each ... On the evens I breath on the right on the way up and on the left on the way down

... If that makes sense
15/03/2013 at 09:51

I'm learning front crawl,  I have entered the Birmingham Olympic tri this year and will be my first open water swim, I thought a few weeks training 2-3 times a week in my local pool would be enough to get the hang of crawl, after an eye opening Feb I now attend swim lessons and they have been great, I still have trouble with breathing but can now do 4-5 lengths without having to hang on to the edge gasping for breath and coughing up that mornings brekky, for me I have found that keeping the head low and breathing from the same side every second stroke and really turning my head so facing up to the ceiling and a little behind me I can take a slow deep breath when needed(often).

Still in a panic about my first openwater swim and my first half IM next year, hopefully I can string out more than 5 lengths by then

I use vics nasal mist spray after swimming as I have really bad sinus problems after swimming and long runs, and it works pretty well.

Edited: 15/03/2013 at 09:58
15/03/2013 at 10:14
WildWill..... wrote (see)
As part of my drills session I do breathing drills, where I breath on the 2,3,4,5,6,6,5,4,3,2 a full length (or 2) of each ... On the evens I breath on the right on the way up and on the left on the way down

... If that makes sense

6, 6! Blimey we do those and I enjoy them but so far only go up to 5, not sure I could manage 6. If my face is in the water then I'm breathing out, but through my mouth as I couldn't manage the nose thing and now wear a nose clip.

15/03/2013 at 13:19

Useful this, I'm learning to swim, it's taken me about three months from not being able to put my head under water to breathing every two for a length. I can breath, I can do the arms and the legs, putting it all together is the hard bit. I'll join a tri club when my next set of lessons finish and hopefully get in open water in the summer.

Blisters    pirate
15/03/2013 at 22:15

YAY, Welcome out of the woodwork all you lurkers!
I'm very much a learner, having been only going at it for a year, but it gets easier.
The more times that an action is repeated, the more it becomes second nature.

The first time we did that breathing pyramid I was still learning how to breathe every 2. I ignored the challenge. We did it again a couple of weeks ago, and I even got up to the 5 that was top of our tree. 6 is doable, but I'd need a bit more time in the water. Like 12 months.

Fatmo. Panic not. You are ON COURSE.
Graeme. Keep going several times a week and it will suddenly click.

19/03/2013 at 19:45

I started going to a swimming lesson (all levels) for an hour a week - havent swum in 20+ years so I had the stroke but no the confidence or the swim specific fitness.  I can now do 1200 metres in an hour - which is a world away from my first week where I wore myself out due to not having the breathing sorted.  I need to learn or rather practice breathing on both sides I tend only to breathe on my left hand side.  

Edited: 19/03/2013 at 19:46
Blisters    pirate
20/03/2013 at 23:23

Michael Phelps breathes to one side.

However, there is more of a need for tiarafleets to breathe to both sides cos Mr Fish doesn't have a cold Nor'Easterly in his nice 50m pool.

SBC. Don't worry about alternate breathing just yet. Worry about breathing at all. Bring it in again later. It will click, just like they told me.

12,081 to 12,100 of 12,942 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.