Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,101 to 12,120 of 12,912 messages
21/03/2013 at 11:11

Had a fun swim last night did my first reducing recovery pyramid, wasn't perfect due to lane congestion but I enjoyed it. Another little thing to play with. Also got reminded to kick from the hip not the knee, when I manage it it's great so much fast but I get cramp in my feet before 25metres are up. More practise required I think.

Blisters    pirate
22/03/2013 at 19:37

Good thought David. It just goes to show that there's a difference between experience and bluster. I'm looking forward to getting into that nice warm open water environment.

Pool today: 80 lengths, with a bit of effort put in for my finish of the mile. Did the 64 in a new pb again, 40:13. That's almost up to my wife's boring plod pace. Well chuffed.

23/03/2013 at 08:03

Am going to try for 2km today and see how long it takes me  I may be some time - after ploughing through the freaking snow!!  Will try the breathing on both sides on Wednesday methinks - Im a good girl guide.

23/03/2013 at 15:02

2km took me 1:57 with breaks and waiting for peeps slower than me (Im not fast enough to go in the big boys lane or even the medium lane).  So I know I can do the Olympic tri distance just have to get quicker - a lot quicker 

23/03/2013 at 15:36

Re. the breathing out fast or slow whilst face in water debate. I prefer to breath out as I roll to breath in. So, I exhale just before AND just after my mouth comes out of the water. In effect, holding my breath in longer than experts recommend. Have tried all ways and this feels most natural. I also use a nose clip to stop the 48 hours of flu like symptoms after a swim. 

23/03/2013 at 16:12

I only got one session in the pool this week.  But I did improve my technique with my breathing.  I managed virtually the whole session doing front crawl.  I'm still working on my breathing and fitness in the pool.  I'm still breathing out a bit as I turn my head to breathe in.  I guess I've just got to find something that works before my first tri on 21st April and I can spend the summer refining my technique...

WhizKid    pirate
23/03/2013 at 16:52
Practise practise makes perfect (but do get your technique looked at as this doing bad technique is not the answer) with all this crappy weather I've been focusing a lot in swimming and mainly my pull and catch, as it was a bit lazy... Managed just shy of 10k of swimming this week with a mile pb! I am starting to think I'm now a goldfish however
Blisters    pirate
23/03/2013 at 20:35

Fantastic news all round then guys!

Jamie, please check that seat, you left behind a wet patch and some scales.

05/04/2013 at 14:47

For a bit of variety in the drills I bought some Speedo swim fins, anything to beat the boredom of following the blue line up & down up & down.

I understand they are good for building endurance, strength & burn more calories but not much good for technique.

So I wont be over using them but any drill suggestions with fins for a self confessed Mr Droopy Legs?

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
05/04/2013 at 19:35

Hold a kickboard in front of you so that you isolate your legs, then just go up and down the pool using your legs only.

Blisters    pirate
10/04/2013 at 12:55

Bugger bugger bugger

I'm currently enduring a total ban on swimming, due to getting a very nasty ear infection. I've just completed a week's course of double dose antibiotics, ear drops and ibuprofen, but am still banned for at least another week.

I'm not sure which was worse: the alcohol ban, not being allowed to snack between meals, or missing out on swimming.

I've had about 2 weeks without training now.

10/04/2013 at 14:52

You really have got to let ear infections clear up good & proper before getting back in the water, sorry to hear you're suffering.

I tried out the fins today, I can see why they are recommended for endurance building!  50 metres with them felt like 500!

Blisters    pirate
10/04/2013 at 17:56

That's interesting about the fins.
I found that I simply went twice as fast in the fins for no extra effort. Maybe I don't use my legs much.

What I did find to be an effort was when I used my scuba diving fins in the same way. Sure I went 4 times as fast, but that DID make me ache!

10/04/2013 at 19:09

Fins do make you faster if your kick technique is good.  If you have the sort of technique where you go backwards then you will just be trying to go backwards faster.

When used properly fins will increase your speed but also work your muscles more so your ankles and hips will get tired.  If they are making your knees ache then you are using poor form.  You should be kicking from the hips not the knees

10/04/2013 at 20:04
I was going faster for sure, my quads were burning after 50 metres so judging from SuperCaz comments I'm not kicking quite from the hips, knees no problem, didn't really feel anything in the ankles, I'll try them again tomorrow.
11/04/2013 at 18:50

Swam 1500 m last night - the pool had taken up the 25m barrier so it was in a 50 metre pool!   My kick drills were interesting!  My technique is getting better and my swim "fitness" is improving.  I know when Im getting a bit tired I notice my legs starting to kick from the knee and getting out of rhythm  Might have to find me some fins!  Do you wear them just when you are doing your kick drills or when you are doing freestyle?

11/04/2013 at 19:22

You can wear then when doing full stroke but its fairly pointless as your arms won't be pulling any water if you are travelling at any speed.  I used to use them with my hands out in front, rather than with a kickboard as the increased speed also makes it easier to work on your streamlining and positioning in the water.  You can work on your rotation too.

Quads are joined to the hips, so you might use your quads a bit when using fins.  To be honest I haven't used them for 20 years so I'm struggling to remember how it felt.

12/04/2013 at 08:42
Blisters, I think there are some paddles that can help with technique. These ones are supposed to be better than most as they are more 'flexable' on your hands. So, if your technique is wrong, then when you use these it exaggerates the issue. Conversly, if it's right it feels right!
http://www.swimsmooth.com/finis_freestyler.html
Sorry, can't do the linky thing on ipad!
12/04/2013 at 11:28

* START OF RANT *

The two hour-long laned sessions I can make at my local pool are both at the end of their working day - 9-10pm on Thursdays and 5-6pm on Saturdays. So despite these being 60mins long, you have to leave the pool early in order to shower/change before being booted out!

So last night had my best swim - aiming for 3k per hour on race day and managed 2.8k continuous fc before having to leave after about 56mins to squeeze in shower & change in time to race out at 10pm! Know I am on target for my swim pace, but would love to get the full 3k done in 60mins as a confidence boost!

Can't wait for open water season to start...

* RANT OVER *

12/04/2013 at 12:52

After an absence from this thread for well over a year, I am pleased to report I am back swimming.

Taking it very easy to start with but was immediately moved up a lane after only 4 lengths last night.  That was quite a confidence boost for me, especially as I could hold my own against the two guys in the lane with me

I am not training for anything specific at the mo as I find that is detrimental to my progress.  I am just swimming for the fun of it and will enter something when my head is in the right place.

Blisters - I have paid my membership to Lake 32.  Will I be seeing you there at all?.  I am hoping to bring Jr Schmunks (aged 13) with me as he is doing Tri Club

12,101 to 12,120 of 12,912 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.