Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,121 to 12,140 of 12,941 messages
WildWill    pirate
12/04/2013 at 12:56
Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

After an absence from this thread for well over a year, I am pleased to report I am back swimming. 

About time 

Edited: 12/04/2013 at 12:56
12/04/2013 at 14:14

DF, I hope to be able to get in the sea on Sunday.  The water is a balmy 8 degrees now so I hope to be able to stay in for longer than 20min for a change.

And Schmunks is the best list fairy ever.

If there is anyone who can make it over to the Nene then I would be happy to accommpany them on a river swim at some point.  I plan to be in there a lot myself over the next 3 months

Iron Pingu    pirate
12/04/2013 at 14:23

Caz what position do you have your head in when you're swimming, I've been told conflicting things.

I used to swim with my head slightly up so I can see where I'm going (as I was told) but have now read that swimming looking down brings your legs up and puts your body in a better position.

12/04/2013 at 14:52

I was originally taught that the water line should be roughly where your swim cap sits across your forehead and for 30 years I swam like that.

A couple of years ago I was told to look more towards the bottom of the pool so I have started doing that.  It does feel easier on the neck and I can feel how it brings the feet up.  It also feels more streamlined to me.

I think that the first method is good when you are in a pool and need to be aware of where other swimmers are or the end of the lane.  I tend to swim into the back of slow breaststokers when my head is fully down because of the restricted line of sight.  But the second method is technically a better way of swimming.

To be honest, I think people place too much emphasis on the 'perfect' technique.  The perfect technique is the one that suits you and will vary from person to person.  If you know that your feet sink then try looking towards the bottom of the pool and see how it feels.  If you're not sure whether your feet sink then try it both ways and see which feels better.  Go with the method that feels comfortable, easiest and more natural.

12/04/2013 at 15:10

You might be right DF, but I am unable to determine that when I'm in the water as I can't see myself swimming.  I can only go on how it feels.

Iron Pingu    pirate
12/04/2013 at 15:12

Cheers Caz, that's kind of what I was thinking.  It does bring you feet up when you're lookking down and feels a bit easier, I'll keep doing that

12/04/2013 at 18:40

DF, firstly I seem to suffer from too much buoyancy and my feet naturally sit very high in the water, and secondly I don't use my legs.

In the sea it is common for my legs to be partially out of the water all the time.  If I wear a wetsuit then it provides so much extra buoyancy that I struggle to get my head out of the water to breathe.

What I meant was that the effect is subtle for me, so it is very hard to tell the difference other than on how the water glides over my body.

Anyhow, just come back from a terrible swim.  One of those days where everything goes wrong and it doesn't flow.

12/04/2013 at 20:19
Can I join too? Just planning on starting swimming again after a near 30 year break. I may realise that I'm not the swimmer I was at 15 or 16 but at least I'm getting back in. I bike ride and run but I'm planning to start having a go at triathlon or duathlon too....
Edited: 12/04/2013 at 20:23
13/04/2013 at 09:59
So glad I have found this thread and realise that there are other useless swimmers in thebsame pond as me. Against my wife's better judgement I have entered my first triathlon on may 11th. The problems are: the swim is in the sea, its 750m, its in Spain and the temp will be about 25'c.

I am going to the baths and currently I do 20 lengths in about 14 min 30 alternating 2 lengh FC and 1 length b/s. after 2 lenghts FC, I feel like I hve been doing uphill sprints. I just can,t get my breathing right. I have a nice action breathing every 4 to my right for 1 length but after that it is every 2 with my head out of the water as I snatch back. I am scared stiff that I am going to have the rescue boat fishing me out of the sea
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
13/04/2013 at 19:29

You say 20 lengths but how long is the pool? It sounds like you are running out of breath by doing a 4-stroke pattern. Try breathing every two strokes from the start. Once you are comfortable with that, do some breathing drills - our coach has us breathe every 2 for one length, then every 3, 4, 5, and back down. You may find you are comfortable with 2-stroke or 3, if you watch pro swimmers they usually breathe every 2, whereas pro triathletes most often breathe every 3, especially in open water because you can keep your line better.

13/04/2013 at 19:51

A mistake that a lot of pople make is to try to gulp in air.  Work on relaxing your breathing more so that it feels more natural.  You don't need to fill your lungs fully every time.  Think about how you breathe when you run.  Unless you are going flat out you won't be gasping but you tend to breath in slower and pull the air to the bottom of your lungs.

If you are only breathing with the top part of your lungs then oxygen exchange is limited and you will tire more quickly.

13/04/2013 at 21:29
The pool is 25 m ( wish is was 50. I wouldnt be on this trad) Caz, i think ur right. I breath out under water, when i come back up i take a rasping deap breath, turn my body down and brath out
M...eldy    pirate
13/04/2013 at 21:35

Think how many seconds it takes to do 3 or 4 strokes .... think do you really need a huuuuuge great lung full of air to complete those 3 or 4 strokes?  
Take a huuuge lungful of air(out of the pool) - blow it out, count to 5 and take another, repeat 100 times and see if you are still able to speak?

Several schools of thought as to how you should dispel the air under water, in one go or a trickle out .. find what suits you, breathe nice and easy & nice and slowly and you will find you are swimming a whole lot easier.   Once you start to do some pace intervals then you may find you need to have a little more oxygen going around

For me the frequent breaths but small ones are better for the oxygen exchange over endurance swims

15/04/2013 at 08:47

Thanks M...eldy.  just tried the breathing, got a headache and felt dizzy.

Thats my training tonight- steady breathing. 

I remember when I first started Scuba diving years ago.  I ran out of air very quickly.  My buddy couldn't undersatnd it until he watched me taking in big gobfulls of air.  Once I learnt to relax, it was so much easier

15/04/2013 at 21:52
Went into the pool tonight after running a slow 10k. Did slow strokes concentrating on my breathing. Did 1 length no prob. Then 2 lengths reps. Still no probs,

went up to 5 still felt very easy, I then did a 10 length rep at about 45 sec/ length. My breathing felt fine apart from when an impolite individual swam past and splashed me. Really chuffed, think i could have turned a corner here Finished off with 2 length really fast (40sec/lgth ) 20 in total all FC
Blisters    pirate
15/04/2013 at 22:17

Schmunks (The World's Most Organised List Fairy)

As it so happened, I was working in the Cotswold Water Park area, finished promptly, and went to Lake 32 to a look about. OK I only went for a 10k run round the lake a couple of times, but did have a chat with the lady from the office. Apparently it's warming up, and has now reached the heady temperature of 6 degrees.

The water does look clean though.

16/04/2013 at 18:44

The river around here is 8 degrees and feeling so much warmer already.

DF, that's not at all why I'm super.  If you get to know me then one day I might tell you the real reason.

Blisters    pirate
18/04/2013 at 00:05

you're hard

18/04/2013 at 20:15

No, I'm stupid and have an insane goal to train towards this year

18/04/2013 at 20:23

DID IT  25 lengths without stopping yesterday.  Then did 15 miles on the cycle track with the young kids.  Can't train today, my back is killing me

12,121 to 12,140 of 12,941 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.