Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,141 to 12,160 of 12,922 messages
18/04/2013 at 22:01
I swimmed again today. Worked on catch and although I felt I was pushing through the water with more force, I wasn't as knackered as I thought I would be.

After the session, Swim Coch commented that my stroke had already improved from last week

So another confidence boost for me.
19/04/2013 at 14:17

Schmunks, I will have to come along and swim with you soon.  Once the lake is open again.

19/04/2013 at 15:25

The lake is open 365 days a year

Am in the process of acquiring a wetsuit for Jr and looking at taking him for one or two taster sessions to see how he gets on.  Won't have chance to think about it til towards the end of May tho.

Blisters    pirate
20/04/2013 at 01:04

Me too please, but I'm terribly slow by comparison with....

everybody.

It takes me 40 minutes for a mile.

WhizKid    pirate
20/04/2013 at 06:38
Erm blisters that not really that bad!
20/04/2013 at 07:10
Blisters - my current goal is a sub-60 mile!
20/04/2013 at 18:31

2.25k yesterday 1:15 wouldve done more but got kicked out of the pool so the big boys could swim fast   Been working on using the fins to improve my kick - think it's working.  

Yay Schmunkee and Blisters!  Good work!

21/04/2013 at 11:29
I have swimmed. Strike count now 22. Was 32/33 this time last year and 29 at the start of the year.

Speed is still the same (slow) but I guess stroke is now more efficient
Blisters    pirate
21/04/2013 at 15:44

Not possible Schmunks, I am the slowest ever.

21/04/2013 at 15:56

Did my first multi-sport event today: a local aquathlon (400m swim, 5K HILLY run)  and can report that the swim went much better than I anticipated. I was expecting something like 45 seconds a lap, so a 12 minute 400m swim, and came in at 9 min 11 secs. And I thought I took that pretty gently. Confidence building for Wilmslow Sprint in May.

Blisters    pirate
21/04/2013 at 20:51

Great one Hallam. Nobody will claim that the swim distance was measured short. Swimming's funny, sometimes slow turns out to be fast, and fast just turns out to be an egg whisk. I try and watch the juniors in the pool, but they just seem to rip past with no effort. Perhaps I don't fart hard enough. Or something.

22/04/2013 at 07:47
I am really pissed off. The triathlon i have entered in Spain has just had the date changed from the 11th may to 25th. Not only has my holiday been booked, ive also paid for bike transport AND given my ticket for the FA cup final to my son

Wasvreally looking forward to my first triathlon
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
24/04/2013 at 12:18

That's really bad luck Kev. Any way you could change the dates of your bookings? I'm sure your son wouldn't give the ticket back though.

Blisters    pirate
24/04/2013 at 22:06

2.5k in the pool, 1:07. I clearly need to do these 80 and 100 length slots more often to build up the endurance stamina. It was getting a bit un-smooth around 80. I think that fuel was needed too.

25/04/2013 at 09:36

Blisters you shouldn't need much nutrition for a swim of an hour (similar rules apply as for a run).  Make sure you eat something an hour or so before getting in the water and it should be enough to see you through.  You might need water though as you still sweat in the heated water of a pool and most people don't realise that they are getting dehydrated.  You shouldn't need electrolytes unless you are one of those people who tends to sweat buckets or suffer from cramps.

25/04/2013 at 10:10

Aww, I didn't know you cared DF3

I do miss running and I have a lot of other things going on in my life which are making things very challenging for me at the moment and leaving me in an unstable state (hence some of the rather random posts recently).

But the swimming is generally going well when the shoulder injury isn't too bad.  I'm a slow to average swimmer by the standards of the people I swim with but I can keep going for hours and keep being told that I have good technique so I am happy to come on here and share what little knowledge I have.

25/04/2013 at 10:36

1625m last night in 1 hr - slower than last week (now that I have thought about it!) apparently time of day matters  need more pool time!

Blisters    pirate
25/04/2013 at 23:06

B Cup, time in the pool matters, but so does a weekly session with a trainer/coach. They only need to tell me one thing at a time, so I can focus on that for the session, but it comes together. A little bit of power, and 90% focus on drag reduction. Using my legs reduces drag more than adds power, because it lifts the body.

My nutrition/hydration issues were partly due to only getting a very light lunch, some hours before the swim, and drinking a bit of pool water. That always dehydrates. All good lessons. Remember that I've got to get out of this 3.8k swim feeling ready for a full day's biking. I just feel so chuffed that I have proven to myself that the swim bit is physically possible.

27/04/2013 at 16:47

So the sub-60 1.5k still eludes me.  Swimathon done today in 1:01:56 but not bad considering it was the longest swim (both in time and distance) that I have done for almost 2 years and I only got back in training 2 weeks ago

Blisters    pirate
27/04/2013 at 21:46

Practice Schmunks, and soon we'll be braving the great outdoors.

(I just bought some 3mm neoprene socks, hopefully they are the right sort of thing)

12,141 to 12,160 of 12,922 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.