Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,161 to 12,180 of 12,948 messages
28/04/2013 at 10:47

In my opinion socks don't do anything to keep your feet warm, however they do delay the exposure of your feet to the cold water when you initially get in and some people prefer that.

I find the only use for socks is to protect your feet when getting in and out of the water if the ground is rough.  Some of my swims involve climbing up banks and walking around the locks and then it is nice to have something to protect from the thistles and stones

28/04/2013 at 13:02
Blisters wrote (see)

Practice Schmunks, and soon we'll be braving the great outdoors

Lake 32 is in double figures. Allegedly

Blisters    pirate
28/04/2013 at 21:16

What, 6.1 degrees?

Over 10 unlikely unless they sampled from "duck landing", "kettle poured out here", and "I've just peed in the lake". Of course there's the alternative approach: take 3 samples and nip back to the nice warm portacabin before testing them.

29/04/2013 at 20:19

The Nene is in double figures too... just

01/05/2013 at 21:12

1.5 in 50 mins (70 lengths in hr total) wasn't really feeling it tonight - was trying to see if I could do it in 40 but it didn't really happen.  Did notice my splits got faster after I started rocking in the water and reaching further

03/05/2013 at 15:17

Managing a full length FC, I do however feel completely out of breath with a high heart rate no matter how slow I go.

Blisters    pirate
06/05/2013 at 14:13

Hi Graeme, I've only been swimming for 13 months, and when I started I was exactly the same. A little tutoring and regular practice are all that's needed. I think that the tutoring is vital to be able to identify and prioritise the areas for improvement. After 4 or 6 weeks something will click.

I still have to keep remembering that water is 8 times more viscous than air, and the biggest improvements come from reducing drag rather than increasing power. Breathing more air than water also helps. That's probably the first priority. I am still only comfortable at breathing every 2nd arm stroke.

07/05/2013 at 12:50

Blisters, I've been having lessons since last last year, I couldn't swim at all before then. Something seems to have clicked recently in that I've gone from a few strokes to a full length so I am sure that the rest will come, I just feel exhausted after a length.

07/05/2013 at 13:48

That's really good going there GraemeK - just think last year you couldn't swim at all - now you can - I would be uber proud of myself if I was you.  Swimming fitness is different to running or cycling - or at least that is what I have found.  Once I got my breathing sorted and realising that going slower actually meant I swam faster (contradiction I know but it's true) my swimming improved markedly.  

Could you try the drills where you do 1 stroke, 1 breath, 2 strokes, 1 breath, 3 strokes 1 breath etc up to 7 if you can manage it? Or get a flutter board and go up and down the lane superman styles just practicing the breathing part until you get confident?

07/05/2013 at 17:19

The river was 16 degrees last night.  Time to ditch the pools guys, in favour of open water.

07/05/2013 at 19:49

Slowing my legs right down and breathing out slowly, full lengths breathing every four strokes. Easy.

Blisters    pirate
07/05/2013 at 23:35

I hear you Caz. I'm just a bit nervous about jumping into a river when nobody knows where I am or when I'm supposed to be home.

Oh, and if you've ever seen the state of the River Severn you would not want to go in it. Chocolate coloured, tidal, goes like a train, and has full trees floating down it. That's on a good day. On a bad day it gets angry.

I fancy the Avon, and there are lakes around.

PSC    pirate
08/05/2013 at 05:52

It is too cold for OW at the mo.  You can practice OW skills now though, particularly sighting. Every other stroke look up and forward. 

Edited: 08/05/2013 at 05:53
Blisters    pirate
09/05/2013 at 17:30

Despite what PSC and several of our club members have said, I decided that it was time to explore the outside world.

Following a recommendation I went to the Bristol Open Water place. The water is 5 foot deep, but milky looking from the natural clay in suspension. The swim course is 650m unless you follow my wake trail.

Today, it was blowing a hoolie, the temp was probably 12 degrees. With a gimp hat I was lovely and warm, but a bit constricted. So, I tried out with just a Pirate swim cap. Ice cream head for 150m. Interestingly, by the end of the second lap I was actually getting warmth and life back into my finger tips. Bizarre. Oh, and the waves were somewhat interesting...

Fun though, AND NO CHLORINE.

As for sighting, yes, that is an area that needs some practice. I was beginning to realise that one stroke of breast every so often could be seamlessly sneaked into the stroke pattern by just leaving the leading arm stuck out there until the other one comes along.

10/05/2013 at 11:48

Well done Blisters your lake sounds rather more intimidating than mine.

I'm getting on nicely with a thicker than normal swim hat, enough to help stop brain freeze but doesn't make me claustrophobic either.

Evening swim on Wednesday highlighted the fact that I need really tinted goggles for Outlaw, my girly blue tint ones didn't help in the slightest with the low sun.

I'm slightly torn as OW means I'm not doing anything like the distances I was doing in the pool. Think I might still need a pool session once a week just to keep up the swim fitness. then 2 OW swims each week to try and get the hang of that.

I really don't help myself, at the point furthest away from the bank my mind suddenly replays jaws for me. yeah that was helpful. Got over that and it switched to remembering all the river monsters programs my hubby so enjoys watching.

Arghhh!

Blisters    pirate
10/05/2013 at 15:54

Ha Ha AliBear! I agree about the distances, and my wife did rather point out about my 2 laps being "less than a mile", implying that a mile was the bare minimum target for getting a cossie damp.

Anyway, next time I'll try to remember the BODYGLIDE.

10/05/2013 at 16:06

Ouch!  Chafing to add to your Blisters?

14/05/2013 at 20:01

Had a great swim this morning managed 4 sets of 4 lengths with a short rest between sets, the first time I've managed more than 2 lengths at a time, was tough at first but I really got into it, I just forced myself to keep going, my breathing was really hard work but the last set was great, I had to stop to go to work but could have carried on.

I think it clicked today

Blisters    pirate
14/05/2013 at 22:44

JPG, it's great confidence boost, isn't it?

My earliest aim was to get my swimming to a level where it was the equivalent of jogging. Keep up the practice and aim for smoothness.

15/05/2013 at 11:04

Blisters, its really boosted my confidence, I did my first spinning sesion last night after a 5k jog to the gym, I felt like a proper triathlete, now I can see improvements begining to happen. This mornings swim was tough going but I kept up the 4x4 sets, Friday is my big swim sesh, 1 hour, hopefully I can keep it up.

12,161 to 12,180 of 12,948 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.