Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,181 to 12,200 of 12,925 messages
Blisters    pirate
17/05/2013 at 22:41

Lake swim again tomorrow. Bodyglide (and gimp hat) packed.

Dustboy    pirate
19/05/2013 at 23:24

Am going to swim again soon, not trained since October. LOL! Think I might need a crash course int he local pool before stranding myself 750M out from the landing stage at Thorpe.

Blisters    pirate
19/05/2013 at 23:28

I got propositioned by an elite swimmer from our club, an ex-Team GB elite who now coaches and teaches. She wants to start from ground zero with me, but not until I've done my IM in September. Now there's a challenge.

20/05/2013 at 18:15

What a good offer Blisters.

DB, I went to Thorpe at the weekend, only the 400m loop open as it was so cold (12degrees). the water was clear though.

Blisters    pirate
30/05/2013 at 19:58

Swimmed tonight, in the pool, and by comparison with the outside world it was neche. 2.5k in 1h06. Not fast, but it was at least a done deal. Endurance is something that one needs to keep repeating.
Started off in the empty fast lane in order to avoid the bobbing bodies in "medium", but then some regular swimmers arrived and I moved down one. By that stage there was just one breast stroker left, and she thanked me because I made sure that she kept her effort level up!

31/05/2013 at 09:36

Thats great going Blisters, I swam last night 4 x 6 lengths and pushed it at the end to see how far I could go, I managed 14 lengths before they chucked us out for closing, I was being overtaken as usual by the old lady's doing breast stroke but I felt great at the end 8 lengths was my record before last night, I felt quite emotional, lord knows how I'll react when I complete my first Ironman.

Big day tomorow, I'm getting my first wetsuit, hopefully I can hold back the tears

Blisters    pirate
31/05/2013 at 10:01

JP, It's perfectly possible to go from zero to hero in 6 to 12 months. All you need is a swimming teacher/coach, and the dedication and belief that you can make improvements. I was going 3 times a week for short sessions in the early days, then I've made each one a bit more focussed as I've got stronger and more comfortable in the water. It's still an alien environment though.

31/05/2013 at 13:03

Thats good to know its do-able, I'm currently doing a2 or 3 20-30 min sessions in the mornings and a longer one thursday or Friday evenings, I'm really happy with my current progress, its taken a while to get to my current standard but I have a long way to go, I think a swim coach will be my next move, thanks Blisters

Blisters    pirate
31/05/2013 at 16:37

Worth every cent

Blisters    pirate
03/06/2013 at 23:24

2400m open water today. 4 laps. I settled down a bit on lap 4 (typical) and even found that I could make reasonable progress (not speed, progress) using 3 stroke breathing. I was also swimming less of a zig-zag than when I did one side. I am seriously not looking forward to a mass start.

Two weeks. Less than that now. Half ironman. Eek squeak.

Blisters    pirate
08/06/2013 at 13:58

One week to my half ironman.

Did 3 laps of Cotswold Lake 32. A total of 2250m. I have realised that I may have to lock up my bike in transition. Not only am I going to be last out of the water, I'm going to be so late they might think the bike's been abandoned. I guess I'll be able to find it easily enough.

08/06/2013 at 22:07

It should have been warmer than it was.  www.d2ride.co.uk

Blisters    pirate
09/06/2013 at 00:54

I always say that.

Blisters    pirate
09/06/2013 at 22:26

Hey
Today I turned up at swim coaching and WASN'T THE SLOWEST!

Blimey.

Amazing what a year can do.

Blisters    pirate
18/06/2013 at 22:17

Cotswold 113 Middle Distance tri.
Swim 1.9km. That's a distance I'd use the car for.
4 waves of swimmers, and by request I was placed in "an appropriate" one. ie, last. Looking around, everyone with my colour hat seemed to be nervous, so I thought that I'd just swim. Soon I was with others of similar inability, and we went round the course at our pace. I even drafted a couple of times.
Given my pool times, I expected that I'd take 50 minutes. Amazingly I was given a chip time of 42:28. I can only guess that the wetsuit and calm conditions helped.

Out of interest I looked behind me. Out of 630 athletes, there were still 6 in the water. Result!

Blisters    pirate
24/06/2013 at 23:05

Swim training in the pool last night. Focus was on arm entries. This is seriously an area I need to focus on. Seriously, I focussed on it so much I was unable to count my lengths: up to 4.

Conversely, I definitely felt higher in the water, faster, and seemingly I was! On a couple of occassions I was even crawling up the legs of my Lane 4 colleague. That was a rarity. However, it was not natural, and the breathing was somewhat forced. There is work to do here, but the coaches reckoned that they could see a change.

This may be a step change.

25/06/2013 at 00:13

Sounds like great progress Blisters, how was the Cotswolds?

25/06/2013 at 07:02

I really want to do a triathlon next year. Currently I can just about manage 75m continuous crawl before my breathing messes up. Is there any hope for me?

25/06/2013 at 18:00

You can do most tri's swimming breast stroke. I couldn't even do front crawl when I did my first sprint tri last year and only started to learn earlier this year, if you keep up the training it soon comes, I am now swimming between 1500mtrs and over 2k in open water albeit very slowly, within 3 months of having lessons, I am still very much a beginner but with the help of a good coach and lots of practice it is coming together much quicker than I expected

Blisters    pirate
25/06/2013 at 23:42

T2A. Absolutely no problem. April 1st last year and I was nowhere near as good as you currently are. I could do between 25 and 50m before I took a great gulp full of water.
-Check out the Swimsmooth website videos.
-Get to the pool three times a week.
-Pay for lessons or coaching once a week.

You will take about 4 weeks then CLICK continuous swimming suddenly happens. Then improvements come thick and fast. Then they stop. Then there's another tip that works. Then you embed that. Apparently this almost continuous improvement happens for 2 to 3 years. I think that muscle growth is in there somewhere too.

My first sprint tri was 4 months after starting lessons.

I just did my first Half Ironman 14 months after starting. Out of 630 starters I wasn't last out of the lake. But I had an absolute HOOT on the bike and overtook hundreds, literally. That continued on the run.

Wait until the end of season before buying your wet suit. Worn once only, or ex hire, or last season's model. Depends on how you like to spend your money. I got a £150 wettie off ebay for £80 and it was unused. I didn't get to use it for months myself though! Only get a proper tri wettie though.

12,181 to 12,200 of 12,925 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.