12,221 to 12,240 of 12,920 messages
15/07/2013 at 15:54

I eat an hour before mm

15/07/2013 at 17:04

Gazhilla - cheers! I didn't fancy going on an empty stomach

15/07/2013 at 20:33
Just looking in ...
15/07/2013 at 20:56
Looking for some pointers to improve my swimming ...

Enjoy OW swimming all year round without wetsuit
Never been able to master breathing for frontcrawl.
Can swim (head up) breaststroke but slowly and I suspect inefficiently.
Can swim backstroke at better pace (but knackered after 1 length).
Happy swimming and being underwater (eg kayak capsize drills) but never got breathing timing sorted for swimming.
15/07/2013 at 20:57
PS "see" a few "familiar faces" on here
15/07/2013 at 20:58

5 weeks ago I couldn't do 25m crawl. Today I managed 400m continuous! 

I'm sloooow though. 400m in 11 mins!

16/07/2013 at 10:30

had my first lesson today - I managed 25m crawl and I was shattered. 80 lengths in a HIM seems an impossible task at the mo. Apparently my technique is decent - it's my breathing. I can't seem to breathe out properly, I'm blowing out for my life and then gasping which is so tiring.   

16/07/2013 at 12:45

I'm no Adrian Moorhouse, a few hundred m is my limit and a few weeks ago I was the same as you. An excercise I did was face  down with a float just kicking and see how long I can go whilst breathing out. Taught me to breath out slowly. I also did one arm on the float one arm stroke, to get the hang of turning to breath, I did the same alternating sides to swim and breath. Really slow kicking also helped me, think of walk, run and sprint paces on land, try to get your legs at the walk pace. 

As I say, I'm no expert, but this is what I've been doing n my lessons the last few weeks and months

16/07/2013 at 13:58

Thanks Graeme - I can live in hope then! How often do you breathe? I've tried every 2 strokes but I can't seem to get the air out quick enough.

16/07/2013 at 14:45

the bubble bubble breath drill in swimsmooth helped me, really blowing it out for the strokes only having to breathe in on the head turn. I was where you were MM 4 weeks ago, now 500m and 1800-2000m a session, trust  us it will come  

16/07/2013 at 15:43

Gaz - I'll let you know in 4 week's time......next lesson on Thursday and I'll practise on my own at the weekend. I've got to crack it sooner or later

Blisters    pirate
17/07/2013 at 12:48

TRUST ME

It will all come good, and in 4 weeks time you will be shocked at the performance improvements.

11minutes for 400m? Try to athlon is a flipping natural I tell you. That's not at all shabby. I've barely got below 10 minutes.

18/07/2013 at 10:03

Blisters - 2 lengths done today. I've got my first tri (400m swim) at the end of August so I'll go and practise this weekend in the sea before my next lesson on Tues. It was a bit better breathing wise. I was practising breathing in the car on the way home from work, I must have looked like an absolute nutter! 

18/07/2013 at 13:19

In this hot weather and after a sweaty day in the office I have taken to the pool out of desperation instead of my normal Circuits and Spinning classes.  I have discovered that I can swim 1km (albeit in 1hr!) using a mixture of crawl and breast stroke.  The problem I have though is putting my face in the water, I just can't do it!  Any ideas as I've discovered I quite enjoy it?  Help!

18/07/2013 at 14:20

ED4, I can't pretend to be an expert - have only been taking improver lessons for a few weeks (I can swim, but breast stroke and glorified doggy paddle won't get me through an IM !). Face in the water is one of the main issues I have too. It's geting better, but really seems to be a case of getting used to the feeling and not panicking when you start to run short of breath. That's my main issue and means most swim sessions end with me having swallowed half the pool. One technique suggested (and the benefit does seem to outweigh the lunacy of it) is practicing in the bath on non-swim days! It means you don't have the pressure of other swimmers in your lane and you can just concentrate on getting the timing and technique right. On swim days, I'm limited to kicking with a float alternating breathing either side so I only have to concentrate on legs and breathing.

Blisters    pirate
18/07/2013 at 22:45

Practice on holiday. No pressure from serious swimmers. Just get in the pool, put on your goggles (you DO have goggles?) and focus. Maybe sink completely under water and exhale a stream of bubbles.

19/07/2013 at 09:37

No problems exhaling or holding breath under water but everytime I turn my head to take a breath when swimming, the water comes down the back of my nose. I mange to take a breath through my mouth, but inhale/ingest the accumulated water in my nose simultaneously.
Any ideas ...

19/07/2013 at 09:54

Wear a nose clip? 

19/07/2013 at 11:20

O.H, I get that when I keep my head down (looking at the pool/lake bottom) before turning to breathe, I found looking forward whilst exhaling stops this, I also breathe out of my nose and mouth untill I am fully turned ready to take a short gasp.

I have to occasionally drop my head to get my legs up, especially when sighting as I seem to be bottom heavy, or heavy bottomed

Blisters    pirate
19/07/2013 at 12:52

OH, breathing is one of those techniques that takes time to develop. We start off diabolical, progress to survival mode, and bit by tiny bit get better. Having someone show you, one tip at a time is the fastest way to do it.

12,221 to 12,240 of 12,920 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.