Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,241 to 12,260 of 12,932 messages
20/07/2013 at 20:49

Bad day at the pool today, far too hot and just couldn't get it right, still, swam 1800m in total but nothing more than 150 m continuous. I seem to lose concentration if. Too busy. Tried pull bouy to improve legs but I sank it... Ex bodybuilder thighs are causing me problems. Still, down to 16st 13 this morning from 18 st 4 four weeks ago. 

22/07/2013 at 14:50

Gazhill - fantastic weight loss - well done. Don't worry about an off day, that's life. Get back in there and I'll sure you manage a decent swim.  

23/07/2013 at 22:47

Thanks Mm, did 1200 m of drills gently tonight. 

24/07/2013 at 11:35

Just started swimming about 6 weeks ago. Had an open water lesson on Monday night.

Told the teacher:

Cant breathe, getting tired very quickly.

I consider myself to be fit in terms of cycling, running and gym so when i couldnt do a few lengths in the pool or open water it really cheesed me off.

Anyway, she told me breathe in the pool every 3 but in OPEN WATER every two, chin to chest and concentrate on stretch and pull --- i.e. reach long with left arm in the water and pull right arm along the body even grazing your thigh with your fingers (helps to lengthen stroke)

BOOM 1km with no issues-- Genuis so happy swimming everyone and be safe

24/07/2013 at 12:48

1000m badge in my lesson last night, realtively easy, slow, even slower when some breaststroke and backstroke people got in to the same lane which was very frustrating but I could have carried on for longer. It took me long enough but unless I slowed badly in the second half, I reckon I'd get out of the water within the time limit for most half ironman races. I still qualify for carp swimmers though.  My eight year old did his 1000m badge too, he was knackered but very proud of him.

25/07/2013 at 17:52

I had a swimming lesson this afternoon in order to try and iron out some of my many issues with regards to front crawl. I found it really useful and Will definitely be having a few more. 

26/07/2013 at 00:17

First 1k continuous done yesterday

part of 1800m session 

got a coach now and he has me drilling far more 

26/07/2013 at 00:18

Well done WeeJB and GK too. 

26/07/2013 at 15:48

wee JB - great news about how your swimming has come on! I thought I was fit until I started swimming - it shatters me!

The Exile - I've had 4 lessons so far, money well spent IMO

Graeme - I reckon speed will come but at least you know you can do the distance - well done on your badge

Gazhilla - fantastic news about your non-stop 1k. i'll be getting the flags out when I get to that stage.

26/07/2013 at 15:52

I managed 5 x 4 lengths which included various drills. On one I had to do crawl with my face in the water breathing out and trying to do as my strokes as I could (12), I then turned for air and then started breathing every 2. The idea being that if I do a race and people swim over me or push me under and I can hang on and then get back on track swimming normally and stop panicking and hyperventilating. It sounded a bit daft but I reckon it'll come in useful. Will try and swim in the sea this weekend and see how I manage with that.

30/07/2013 at 16:38

Had a rubbish swim - I still can't crack this breathing lark. Perhaps I'm trying to exhale too fast and I end up shattered and my heart going like the clappers. I've tried breathing every 2, 3 and 4 strokes and I still can't fathom it.

30/07/2013 at 17:07

I have found drills have helped my breathing, I do about  10 lengths to warm up nice and easy then I do 2 lengths breathing every 3 strokes,  then I do 2 lengths breathing every 4 strokes (I find that really hard), then 2x every 5 (almost impossible) then I rest for about 30-40 seconds then work my way back down to 2 stroke breathing from 5, I find its really hard to get through it, I'm really on the edge on the 5 stroke breathing.

After that drill I alternate 2 easy lengths breathing every 2 strokes, then 1 length flat out, repeated till its time for work (usually 4 0r 5 sets), the whole sesh usually takes 25-30 mins, its helped my breathing come on loads, just need to work on speed now.

30/07/2013 at 19:29

I do a pyramid set of breath every 3/4/5/5/4/3 strokes. I found breathing hard and then it just clicked. Not saying it's Adrian Moorhouse quality but it's functional. Using a float to practice slow exhaling was useful too.

I did a 1600m swim today, slowly 50+ minutes although I had to keep waiting for the slow swimmer in front get far enough in front every time I caught her. Anyway as I went on I got more relaxed in the water and could start playing with my breathing.  Hard to say but it will come, just keep practicing and trying. Try slow arms and slow legs, I find it much easier when I'm going v slowly.

01/08/2013 at 00:43

2.2k done today, 25 mins for 1k, 42.18 for 1600 and 55.10 for 2k, happy as a pig in shizzzzle  

slow but getting there  

01/08/2013 at 10:45

Gaz - that's brilliant - and you're certainly not slow at all. How's the weight loss doing?

JP & Graeme - thanks for the tips. I really do need to slow down. I'm trying too hard. My mind's going: breathing, legs, arm position and I'm not relaxed at all. 

I tried to conquer the breathing every 2 strokes this morning - how hard should I be breathing out? Am I blowing out a candle on a cake or a dandelion or what?

01/08/2013 at 11:52

Another 2lbs gone, had a week of biking disasters, rear mech went on road bike, crank thread went on tt bike ! Mm, I blow it u until I get into a rhythm , bubble bubble breath. Try bending over in the shallow end and blowing into the water before head turning and breathing in, other thing that helped me was to turn further in the water so I am looking at the ceiling , allows more time to breathe. 

01/08/2013 at 11:53

Toral immersion videos helped me lots. 

03/08/2013 at 21:24

I thought I would share my first OW experience today, I definitely fall into the cr@p swimmer category.

I have been having pool based lessons for just under 3 months, and have progressed from being able to just about huff and puff my way through 25 metres before nearly sinking, to having now completed a 2k pool swim (although verrryy slowly in 67 minutes)

Today I went for my first open water and whatever could have gone wrong pretty much went wrong, but even so, I must say...   I absolutely loved it!!!!

After a brief on what to do from the organiser I set off, within 100m my goggles were steamed up, next my nose clip flew off and then predictably my wetsuit started feeling tight.  So taking stock, I flipped over onto my back to calm down and breath, then I lifted my goggle up onto my swim cap and decided that the best way to continue was with my head out of the water, noseclip in hand and fighting to keep my contact lenses from swimming away.

It was a slow loop but after just short of 30 minutes I finished my first 750m open water swim.  I can't wait to get back next Saturday, and have already ordered some anti fog for my goggles, just need to find a more secure noseclip now

03/08/2013 at 21:43

Well done Matt!!

My swim today was the first time I had used my new wettie at Bossie it took me about 2/3s of a lap to get over myself and just swim.  I enjoy swimming OW far more than the pool now Just spend a couple of minutes before you set off just chilling out in the water letting your body acclimate to the cool water helps me with the calm before the swim.

My googles too are a pain in the bum they keep fogging up - I have spray but it doesn't last that long I think I just need new goggles they aren't the best at keeping the water out.

06/08/2013 at 16:22

I have goggle problems too

I reckon I think I've seen the light.....today was lesson nr 5 and I tried breathing every 3 strokes (whereas before I was dithering between 2 or 4) and it was ok! I managed six lengths without stopping, I didn't feel as out of breath and it felt....right. I felt to be swimming rather than wriggling around in the water. Left the pool with a massive grin on my face.

12,241 to 12,260 of 12,932 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.