Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,261 to 12,280 of 12,824 messages
18/07/2013 at 10:03

Blisters - 2 lengths done today. I've got my first tri (400m swim) at the end of August so I'll go and practise this weekend in the sea before my next lesson on Tues. It was a bit better breathing wise. I was practising breathing in the car on the way home from work, I must have looked like an absolute nutter! 

18/07/2013 at 13:19

In this hot weather and after a sweaty day in the office I have taken to the pool out of desperation instead of my normal Circuits and Spinning classes.  I have discovered that I can swim 1km (albeit in 1hr!) using a mixture of crawl and breast stroke.  The problem I have though is putting my face in the water, I just can't do it!  Any ideas as I've discovered I quite enjoy it?  Help!

18/07/2013 at 14:20

ED4, I can't pretend to be an expert - have only been taking improver lessons for a few weeks (I can swim, but breast stroke and glorified doggy paddle won't get me through an IM !). Face in the water is one of the main issues I have too. It's geting better, but really seems to be a case of getting used to the feeling and not panicking when you start to run short of breath. That's my main issue and means most swim sessions end with me having swallowed half the pool. One technique suggested (and the benefit does seem to outweigh the lunacy of it) is practicing in the bath on non-swim days! It means you don't have the pressure of other swimmers in your lane and you can just concentrate on getting the timing and technique right. On swim days, I'm limited to kicking with a float alternating breathing either side so I only have to concentrate on legs and breathing.

Blisters    pirate
18/07/2013 at 22:45

Practice on holiday. No pressure from serious swimmers. Just get in the pool, put on your goggles (you DO have goggles?) and focus. Maybe sink completely under water and exhale a stream of bubbles.

19/07/2013 at 09:37

No problems exhaling or holding breath under water but everytime I turn my head to take a breath when swimming, the water comes down the back of my nose. I mange to take a breath through my mouth, but inhale/ingest the accumulated water in my nose simultaneously.
Any ideas ...

19/07/2013 at 09:54

Wear a nose clip? 

19/07/2013 at 11:20

O.H, I get that when I keep my head down (looking at the pool/lake bottom) before turning to breathe, I found looking forward whilst exhaling stops this, I also breathe out of my nose and mouth untill I am fully turned ready to take a short gasp.

I have to occasionally drop my head to get my legs up, especially when sighting as I seem to be bottom heavy, or heavy bottomed

Blisters    pirate
19/07/2013 at 12:52

OH, breathing is one of those techniques that takes time to develop. We start off diabolical, progress to survival mode, and bit by tiny bit get better. Having someone show you, one tip at a time is the fastest way to do it.

20/07/2013 at 20:49

Bad day at the pool today, far too hot and just couldn't get it right, still, swam 1800m in total but nothing more than 150 m continuous. I seem to lose concentration if. Too busy. Tried pull bouy to improve legs but I sank it... Ex bodybuilder thighs are causing me problems. Still, down to 16st 13 this morning from 18 st 4 four weeks ago. 

22/07/2013 at 14:50

Gazhill - fantastic weight loss - well done. Don't worry about an off day, that's life. Get back in there and I'll sure you manage a decent swim.  

23/07/2013 at 22:47

Thanks Mm, did 1200 m of drills gently tonight. 

24/07/2013 at 11:35

Just started swimming about 6 weeks ago. Had an open water lesson on Monday night.

Told the teacher:

Cant breathe, getting tired very quickly.

I consider myself to be fit in terms of cycling, running and gym so when i couldnt do a few lengths in the pool or open water it really cheesed me off.

Anyway, she told me breathe in the pool every 3 but in OPEN WATER every two, chin to chest and concentrate on stretch and pull --- i.e. reach long with left arm in the water and pull right arm along the body even grazing your thigh with your fingers (helps to lengthen stroke)

BOOM 1km with no issues-- Genuis so happy swimming everyone and be safe

24/07/2013 at 12:48

1000m badge in my lesson last night, realtively easy, slow, even slower when some breaststroke and backstroke people got in to the same lane which was very frustrating but I could have carried on for longer. It took me long enough but unless I slowed badly in the second half, I reckon I'd get out of the water within the time limit for most half ironman races. I still qualify for carp swimmers though.  My eight year old did his 1000m badge too, he was knackered but very proud of him.

25/07/2013 at 17:52

I had a swimming lesson this afternoon in order to try and iron out some of my many issues with regards to front crawl. I found it really useful and Will definitely be having a few more. 

26/07/2013 at 00:17

First 1k continuous done yesterday

part of 1800m session 

got a coach now and he has me drilling far more 

26/07/2013 at 00:18

Well done WeeJB and GK too. 

26/07/2013 at 15:48

wee JB - great news about how your swimming has come on! I thought I was fit until I started swimming - it shatters me!

The Exile - I've had 4 lessons so far, money well spent IMO

Graeme - I reckon speed will come but at least you know you can do the distance - well done on your badge

Gazhilla - fantastic news about your non-stop 1k. i'll be getting the flags out when I get to that stage.

26/07/2013 at 15:52

I managed 5 x 4 lengths which included various drills. On one I had to do crawl with my face in the water breathing out and trying to do as my strokes as I could (12), I then turned for air and then started breathing every 2. The idea being that if I do a race and people swim over me or push me under and I can hang on and then get back on track swimming normally and stop panicking and hyperventilating. It sounded a bit daft but I reckon it'll come in useful. Will try and swim in the sea this weekend and see how I manage with that.

30/07/2013 at 16:38

Had a rubbish swim - I still can't crack this breathing lark. Perhaps I'm trying to exhale too fast and I end up shattered and my heart going like the clappers. I've tried breathing every 2, 3 and 4 strokes and I still can't fathom it.

30/07/2013 at 17:07

I have found drills have helped my breathing, I do about  10 lengths to warm up nice and easy then I do 2 lengths breathing every 3 strokes,  then I do 2 lengths breathing every 4 strokes (I find that really hard), then 2x every 5 (almost impossible) then I rest for about 30-40 seconds then work my way back down to 2 stroke breathing from 5, I find its really hard to get through it, I'm really on the edge on the 5 stroke breathing.

After that drill I alternate 2 easy lengths breathing every 2 strokes, then 1 length flat out, repeated till its time for work (usually 4 0r 5 sets), the whole sesh usually takes 25-30 mins, its helped my breathing come on loads, just need to work on speed now.

12,261 to 12,280 of 12,824 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.