Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,261 to 12,280 of 12,925 messages
08/08/2013 at 21:01

Using down time from run training to get this breathing lark right.
Thought I was getting somewhere after several cycles of bubble bubble bubble breath ... then my head hit the side  - I had turned through 90° without realising

11/08/2013 at 11:30

Ha ha, I have done that a few times, I was focused on my breathing while in open water and when I poped my head up to av a look I wondered why everyone was going the wrong way

Blisters    pirate
12/08/2013 at 00:40

Excellent fun. Glad to see so many people enjoying the delights of the challenge that swimming provides to us runners.

Nice to see OH here. I thought you were a fish? Clearly I was mistaken.

Savage pool training session tonight. Amazingly I managed to hang on, and complete the set without being overtaken. I must admit that I was pretty tired a the end though. I am now happy to report that I am officially (wait for it)

(the anticipation)

NOT SLOWEST.

12/08/2013 at 09:23

Well done Blisters, great progress, I am trying to join my local tri club, they do 2 swims a week, I say trying as I have arranged to go about three times but 1st time I was stuck at work, 2nd time was "too tired" and no3.......not sure, I need to kick myself up the arse and JFDI

Had a good sesh this morning 10x warm up 2x 50m sprints(ish) 10x easy, feeling a little quicker today

12/08/2013 at 13:55

Hello everyone,can I join cr@p swimmers are us please 

Curently an injured runner and am dipping my toes into the world of triathlons - mainly because I like buying stuff (much to my hubby's annoyance!). But in all seriousness when I got injured 2 weeks ago whilst training for Chester marathon, I felt really awful and wasn't sure what I was going to do with myself whilst I recovered (my hubby did mention moving out until I was able to run again!). That was until a fellow club member suggessted Triathlons to me as injuries are reduced due to the variety of training etc

However the biggest problem that I have is that I can't really swim very well, I am a holiday swimmer. My front crawl resembles someone thrashing arms and legs about in an uncontrolled way whilst swallowing copious amounts of water, which is closely followed by coughing and spluttering due to inhalation of swimming pool water - not good. At least because i can't run I can put in some practice at the pool I guess.

So here I am jumping on this thread, inspired by many of you who have started at a similar level to me and who can now swim - proper lengths and all!. Am hoping that some of that will rub off on me  

12/08/2013 at 15:18

Welcome Lisa, you are amongst same ability friends here, have you organised any coaching or classes? that would be the best way to get started on improving, then ones youve been pointed in the right direction its just practice

12/08/2013 at 16:19

JP, I have emailed a local Tri club who also do one-to-one swimming coaching so am just waiting to hear back. I am hoping that with a few suggestions and pointers in the right direction then I can just get down to the pool and practice.

12/08/2013 at 17:34

Hi Lisa, I've just re-read my post above, I must have been lacking tea, it doesn't make a lot of sense, sorry about that.

I'm joining my local tri club this week also, I think it would be good to get some group training in.

let us know how it goes

12/08/2013 at 20:33

I am more cr@p than any of you... Although I can do breast stroke for hours,  just started lessons in crawl, swimming one length is an achievement. Second lesson this week. Any advice or support will be gratefully appreciated.

12/08/2013 at 20:42

If it makes any of you feel better, I did a river swim at the weekend where I decided to concentrate on my technique.  I swam into the bank 6 times

Blisters    pirate
12/08/2013 at 22:24

SuperCaz, I read somewhere else that you went into the sea at Dover and still managed to swim into the far bank.

Lisa, never mind the delightful introduction, you know full well that you belong here. Goji, you have identified the first and biggest problem, but most importantly have also identified the solution. You've got lessons. Problem sorted. Make a note in your diary and do a comparison in 4 weeks and 8 weeks time.

15/08/2013 at 15:44

I started swimming 2 months ago and today I swam 1Km Continuous. So excited! I'm slow though, it took 32 mins.

Edited: 15/08/2013 at 15:50
15/08/2013 at 16:08

Thats great going T-T-A, 32 mins if fast to me

15/08/2013 at 19:07

T-T-A that's well impressive and it gives me hope. Fast, too. My front crawl continuous swimming record is still 1 lenght.  How often do you train? 

15/08/2013 at 19:09

Thanks for your encouragement Blisters, I hope it will be as you say

15/08/2013 at 19:21

Hey goji. Thank you. I've been going just once a week, as my nearest pool is an hour away, occasionally twice a week. I stay for two or three hours to make the journey worth while.

18/08/2013 at 14:01

I was at the pool again today, doing a very good impression of a drowning person whilst continuing to attempt front crawl, I did however manage either 400 or 600m in total - lost count , this wasn't continuous though I still have to stop, rest and catch my breath after each length. I am honestly amazed at the swimmers that can just go up and down continuously doing front crawl - as this still feels a long way off for me.

Good news is that I have contacted a local Tri club who also offer swimming coaching - not so good news is that I will be going along to humiliate myself next Saturday, arrgghh! I am really hoping that I will have a lightbulb moment soon.

Try - really well done, thats what I aspire to and that is not slow at all!

Goji, I share your pain. Lets hope that the improvements come quickly!

Blisters    pirate
19/08/2013 at 22:45

Keep the faith.

19/08/2013 at 22:49

I kept reading the swimming threads on here with everyone saying 6-8 weeks it clicks, didn't believe it but it certainly did for me  

20/08/2013 at 09:34

Lisa - don't worry- i'm rubbish AND i've got my first tri in 3 weeks and i've got to do 650mt in the sea. I know i'm going to be last but hey, i'm going to be ahead of all those coach potatoes!

12,261 to 12,280 of 12,925 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.