Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,361 to 12,380 of 12,824 messages
22/09/2013 at 09:15

mm that sounds a bit like my breathing style - I hold my breath for ages then breathe out as fast as possible and twist my head to breathe in. 

will have to see what the swimming coach says when I get to the pool

22/09/2013 at 13:55

Hello all, Molly I too had the same breathin/exhaling issue initially and during my first coached session was told to focus on the mantra bubble bubble breath. This enabled me to get the bilateral breathing sorted very quickly.

Tough coached session yesterday focussing on technique, find these sessions much more draining then 20 mile training runs and am completely wiped out for the rest of the day. I do feel that I am making improvements, but still can't see how I will ever be able to swim the distance for a standard tri, let alone a HIM which is my goal for next year. Must stay positive....

Blisters    pirate
22/09/2013 at 21:08

Lisa

6 weeks.

I promise.

23/09/2013 at 12:01

a tetchy swim this morning. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/380084795

focused on the catch ( pull/push the water deliberatly ). interesting improvement on pace - but at a cost to rythm and breathing.  couple of single length sprints for larks.

avg 100m around 2'10 assuming I can have a free rest every 100......

still crap though. i need a day off everything.

Blisters : am I not crap enough then ? ( Been a while since I was too good for something )

Blisters    pirate
23/09/2013 at 21:31

We set a pretty low benchmark round here....

On Sunday night we were doing similar catch training to you by the sound of it.
Swim half a length using fists instead of hands so that you could feel the water with the forearms. The finish the length on proper hands/arms. Did a few of those. The main set was a pyramid but done at standard swim pace. No eyeballs out reps in betweeny. We covered a mile all in all.

I needed a beer after that.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
24/09/2013 at 06:13

Tonight is the first night of our club's winter swim training, hurray!

I too swear by Zoggs goggles but find the Athena model (designed for women)  is a better fit than the Predator.

24/09/2013 at 07:21

Blisters in that case - Saturday should be my break through session . In all seriousness I have made huge gains with my swimming, I just would love it to feel more natural.

24/09/2013 at 10:35

Lesson n. 8 this morning. For the first time ever I can "feel" the surface of the water and seem to be gliding a little bit. I did drills of four lengths (1 x breathing every 2, 1x every 3, 1 x every 4 and 1 x every 5) then drills of 2 lengths (I had to go fast the first 10 strokes of each length and then slowed down). My teacher told me to go an extra time on my own just to practice building stamina up and doing lengths - even in groups of 4 with a small rest in between. It's taking me longer than 6 weeks but I WILL get there. Can't practise this weekend though as I'm off to Berlin to do the marathon.

On Sunday I bought some speedo goggles while waiting for the zogg ones, guess what - they let water in as well, gggrrrrrrr

Blisters    pirate
24/09/2013 at 11:31

An ebay shop for slightly used goggles?

24/09/2013 at 21:28

Enjoy Berlin, Molly - it's a great city, the support is top-notch, and the course is good. My favourite marathon, done it 5 times.

Sgt Lard - the swim is only 2% of an IM. Don't get hung up on it. Oh, and  just for info, I've been invited to lunch with the installation CO tomorrow - a full bird Colonel. I'm a bit nervous.

24/09/2013 at 23:00

lol. wondering what a half bird looks like ? Colonel Lard : scary picture.

2% is 2%. just looking to be 'all I can be'  ..... settling is what houses do.

and 20 minutes is 20 minutes. ( Im wondering where the cr@p bikers / cr@p runners thread is...... )

Edited: 24/09/2013 at 23:10
25/09/2013 at 06:30

Sarge - sorry, that was an American term relating to the insignia - a "full bird" is a Colonel, as opposed to a Lt. Col.

It's all about the  bike!

25/09/2013 at 12:01

Bionic - thanks, getting excited about Berlin now. Never done it before and so looking forward to it

Sgt Lard - you're a lot better swimmer than me  and probably runner & biker so don't fret. My aim is to finish in one piece!

25/09/2013 at 12:07

I have always hated running. damned silly idea - i learned to drive so i would never have to run.

im ok at biking - once the poundage drops. last time i made the effort i dropped 6st and made into the RMR  ( royal marine reserve ). did a lot of biking around maidenhaead/henley/reading/bourne end/slough - not entirely flat.  ive some work to do to get back to that capability/level.

always liked swimming.

bit of a geek mind/ knowedlge is power type. i need a new motto ( JFDI fits the bill )

my OH aim is for me to be fit enough to finish beofre I enter....a tad fustrating but thats why I married her.

26/09/2013 at 09:55

lesson 9 this morning and it went well. My teacher said after my next lesson I can stop lessons and then practise on my own building up stamina etc. Does that mean I'm a lot better or is he just sick of seeing me floundering in the pool?

Anyway I FEEL a lot more confident and a lot happier. Drills this morning included 3 strokes crawl roll onto my back then 3 strokes and then back to crawl for 3 etc 

Must concentrate on running this weekend now!

26/09/2013 at 11:28

Molly - that drill is one our tri club coach uses sometimes - it promotes good balance in the water.

26/09/2013 at 13:05

BI - I wondered what it was for, thanks. Have you got any more drills that you do at your tri club?

26/09/2013 at 17:31

MM I have a similar goggle-fitting problems. I once bought a pair of Aryca goggles (slightly obscure Chinese brand) and I find them perfect. The ones I bought in Greece had mirrored lenses, bit useless in the pool, so I found another pair on ebay - in the US! shipping cost as much as goggles, but they work fine and my contacts are safe. Zoggs Athena are my second choice and much easier available in the UK.

26/09/2013 at 19:48

Molly - yes, loads. Here's some more examples:

Long three - take 3 strokes and glide loooong on the 3rd one. Another balance variation on this is after the glide, do 6 leg kicks on your side.

When you reach forward, hold your hand still above the water for 5 seconds before entering the water.

Trail your fingertips forward through the water on each stroke - promotes high elbows.

Feel the water - swim one length with closed fists then one normally. Variation - alternate closed fist/open fist/closed fist/open fist.

Count strokes for one length, reduce by 4 each successive length - again it lengthens your stroke.

Catchups - leave one hand out in front and bring the other one over to touch it.

Breathing drill - one length breathing every 2nd stroke, next one every 3rd, then every 4th, every 5th and back down again. Concentrates on your breathing and again on balance.

200m leg kicks (100m freestyle/100m backstroke).

Our program this past Tuesday was:

800m warmup, every 4th length freestyle leg kicks/backstroke kicks

4 x 200m - 1st 200m long 3 with 6 kicks, 2nd 200m fist drills, 3rd 200m easy 50m/faster 50m, repeat. 4th 200m catchups on your back.

400m butterfly kicks/freestyle arms

800m, alternate 100m easy/100m a bit faster

400m medley cooldown

Sessions get progressively harder throughout the winter. I used to post each Tuesday session on here, if anyone would like me to start doing it again just say, it can give you some ideas of what sort of training to do. Our coach Kathrin is a fully qualified level 3 tri coach and used to swim national level for Germany during her racing time. The team has improved tremendously under her.

26/09/2013 at 19:53

I should have said, Kathrin works on mini cycles - 3 weeks build, then a cut-back week, new cycle starts at the level where we left off.

12,361 to 12,380 of 12,824 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.