Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,421 to 12,440 of 12,912 messages
21/10/2013 at 16:57

Went for a swim today with a buoy but didn't think it did anything for me, but I'll persist.

Watching someone else swim today made me realise how fast I try to go and I need to teach myself to slow down, but that's easier said than done when you're not a natural in the water!!

Can consistently get one length out now front crawl, but not much chance of going any further for now

21/10/2013 at 17:33
Iron Pugsley wrote (see)

No worries.  Good luck with it!

Cheers Pugsley,  at the moment I'm really just enjoying messing about while taking a small break from my swim coach (had to give up some sessions as I spent some of this year's swimcoach budget on a turbo trainer ).  As soon as I get back to him, I'm sure he'll have some new homework for me and I'll have to behave again.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
22/10/2013 at 06:00

Tricoops, you need to practice bilateral breathing, being able to breathe on either side will help you with sighting in OW.

22/10/2013 at 10:37

Half way through week 2 of front crawl, I'm now a rubbish 50m swimmer instead of a rubbish 25m swimmer - be still my beating heart .

22/10/2013 at 11:39

Had my first ever go with a pull buoy this morning. I put it between my knees and as I turned to breathe....I rolled over onto my back  so I presume I must be rotating too much!

22/10/2013 at 14:13

Daft question I know but did you have the buoy the right way up?

Iron Pugsley    pirate
22/10/2013 at 15:15

The more bulbous side of the buoy should be in the water.

22/10/2013 at 15:47

Elbeanpole/ Iron Pugsley - I didn't even know there was a "right" way, this is just getting worse 

22/10/2013 at 21:33

Hi Molly.

Tonight's tri club swim training :

400m warmup (100m each crawl/breast/crawl/backstroke).

400m dolphin kick/crawl arms

400m (50m fingertips drill, 50m fast/50m hand to armpit drill, 50m fast), repeat.

Pacing drill - 10 x 100m on 2 min:30 for each. 30 secs break.

4 x 50m fast/50m recovery.

800m steady cooldown, various strokes.

Quite tired now. Pleased with my pace drill though, I was consistently 2min 28, 2min 29 although one was a bit too fast at 2:25 and the last one slower at 2:33

25/10/2013 at 08:09

First trip to the pool this week last night, managed 4 blocks of 50m crawl and 500m of breaststroke, so an improvement, I'm far from graceful or fast but at least I'm getting somewhere, I seemed to be getting into a rhythm with my breathing now that I'm tilting my head a bit further up in the water (thanks for explaining that Bionic Ironwolf) and concentrating on breathing out under the water, I’m practicing my head position/breathing as I have a rest after each set and it’s making it a bit easier to remember.

I think the more time I spend in the pool the more confident I get, so I guess I’ll just have to get as often as possible, I’m aiming for a minimum of twice a week which I seem to be able to fit in without having an impact at home so fingers crossed that will be enough.

Iron Pugsley    pirate
25/10/2013 at 11:00

I think if you can get on top of technique Swiller you will need to put less effort in.  Breathing drills and using a pull buoy so that you only have to concentrate on one thing will bring you on quickly.  

25/10/2013 at 16:23

BI - thanks for the training schedule

IP - I managed to get the pull buoy the right way up this morning. By the end of my hour I felt to be powering down the pool (I probably wasn't mind!). 

BS - I'm trying to go twice a week too.

I've got my first ever half ironman on June 8th so when should I start "proper" training and go swimming 3 times a week?

Blisters    pirate
25/10/2013 at 22:30

Molly. Panic Not. I would have thought that the target is to gradually build on your technique, the range will come along fairly easily. The one consideration that you need to think about is that you'll be needing a wetsuit. The time to buy one is right now: the end of the season. You may not get to use it until early May (if you are hardy), but you'll need one. However, the sea is still a good temperature.

For me, I managed to get a swim today, it feels like it's been ages. 2000m plodded out in 58 minutes. I really don't understand why I'm so slow.

26/10/2013 at 00:29

A year ago I was terrified of swimming pools...school days contributed to that. I got some help and this August completed a 70.3 Open water tri. I was one of the last to just scrape in under the cut off swim time but I cared not.. I was in and that meant so much to me. I brave our local swim fit class and am the slow fat bird at the end of every set..again I care not. The fact I have gained the courage to even attend is amazing to me. I AM a crap swimmer but am trying so hard to better myself. Crap swimmers unite and dive in together..the world needs us for inspiration.

26/10/2013 at 17:32

Swiller well done, practice makes perfect 

Blisters I am not sure that I could ever swim 2000m straight off. When I go to my coached swim training I often do between 1400-1600m but that includes drills etc, on my own my max is about 900m - think I need someone telling me what to do 

Girthy bloody well done and good for you 

Attended tri club swim session again this morning another tough session. I hold onto to the fact that its not supposed to get easier you just get faster - or so I have been told.

I have now signed up for the March swimathon have put down to do the 1.5k, as it is not until March I feel that it is something to aim for and will keep me swimming through the winter months when I may not want to go. 

Blisters    pirate
26/10/2013 at 23:22

Lisa.
It's merely a question of confidence. Do your training at your training session. If you can get another session in the week, maybe just do a straight swim for endurance purposes. That's what I did, aiming for a minimum of 64 lengths (1 mile), and then thinking about 80, 100, 120, 152. I only ever did 152 once, and seemed to skip the 120. If was pushed, I just did the target 80. If I was really off form, cop out at 64. If I was up for it, 100, and gloat.

The decisions were whether I started to cramp, or muscles started to seize up. No point pushing a bad situation.

Blisters    pirate
27/10/2013 at 21:47
Swim training. I made a request to one of our coaches. Please rip my stroke technique apart and we'll start again.

That should keep me busy for a bit.
28/10/2013 at 17:10

Blisters - I know it's the right time to get a wetsuit but there's nowhere to buy one here I live in Italy (by the sea) and it would be ideal for swimming - if I had a wetsuit. I'm planning on getting one over New Year when I go to see my dad in Yorkshire. I was tempted to get one online but what happens if it doesn't fit? For 200 quid what features should I be looking for (or maybe there won't be any at that price!)?

28/10/2013 at 19:31

I wouldn't buy online Molly,, you really need to be able to try the suit on, preferably in the water. Be careful what you buy - many manufacturers make suits for different levels of swimmer. You don't want to get one for a fast swimmer, it won't help you, better off getting a beginner's suit or a mid-range one. I have a Blue Seventy mid-level "Reaction", as a much faster swimmer than me hubby wears a top line Orca "PFlex".

28/10/2013 at 22:24

Crap swimmer and newbie Triafleet reporting for duty any body recomemned a goodswim coach in the Forest of dean/ Gloucestershire area?

Heading to the pool for an emabarasing sesion with a kick board in the morning.

12,421 to 12,440 of 12,912 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.