Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,441 to 12,460 of 12,922 messages
29/10/2013 at 14:04

hi guys, hope you don't mind if I jump aboard,though not sure if I qualify, I'm not really a cr@p swimmer...I'm a cr@p non swimmer! I can just about do a pathetic breast stroke, which my wife taught me on holiday a few years ago, can't swim for very long and panic a bit with breathing. saying that, I'm starting swimming lessons in December(next available date) at my local pool, which I'm determined will springboard me into the wonderful world of triathlon Any advice would be greatly appreciated, despite my determination I'm actually quite nervous lol

29/10/2013 at 15:52

BI - thanks for the advice, I will have to wait until I go to sunny Yorkshire then at the end of the year. Will I need to wear my trisuit underneath then to try it on? I'll go for an entry level one then if it's not going to make a difference at this stage.

I went swimming with my new pal today - a brand new pink pull buoy.  I really enjoyed my swim and although I'm still classified as being rubbish, I'm less cr@p    than I was.

Dadu/Justplodon - you're in the right place here. I think it's quite normal to be nervous, I felt downright foolish but then again with a swim cap on and no make up either - no one recognized me at first

29/10/2013 at 16:13

Hi justplodon, welcome to the ship!!! I think it is quite a common theme to be nervous to begin with. When i first started swimming again after years of not i orginally started with just swimming breast stroke, then moved to one breast one crawl and then finally front crawl. Saying that i did have some idea how to swim crawl before, just didnt have the endurance, so since you have no real idea then swimming lessons is a great start! With swimming it is ALL technique! And until you get that nailed down it will be a bit tough. But its not something to worry about at all. Since you dont start your lessons until December i would recommend a pull buoy so you can start working on your breathing and catch which i think is the hardest part of the stroke. If you check out the swimsmooth website they have a few pointers on there for free, but i would seriously recommend making the investment and buy there book off amazon. I cannot tell you how much this book has helped me!!! Good Luck and any questions dont hesitate to post or pm 

29/10/2013 at 16:46

Thanks marathonmolly and TheBanksy, awesome advice! though I am going to forego wearing makeup just to take off at the pool...will a mask do?lol. I'm going to check out the swimsmooth website right now and definetly invest in a pull buoy.

29/10/2013 at 16:52

No problem! Just make sure to keep posting so we can see how your swims go and how you progress! 

29/10/2013 at 17:56

Swimming went really well today. managed 100 mtrs grown up crawl without sucking water.

It can be a bit intimidating when everyone else at the pool seems to be justy gliding along effortlessly.

M...eldy    pirate
29/10/2013 at 18:01

Justplod (scuse me for butting in)
I would say you could do a lot worse between now and December than just get in a pool with a kick board, practice your kick, improve your core andget used to getting your face in the water and turning your head to breathe.  This will help a lot when it comes to your lessons.

29/10/2013 at 18:23

thanks M...eldy, just having a look at the swimsmooth website, says pretty much the same thing

29/10/2013 at 18:43

Definately agree with M..eldy, certainly didnt mean to indend not to practice you kick... Just make sure you practice a "good" kick, by that i mean kick from your hip and not your knee. By kicking from your knee you create a massive amount of drag as well as using up alot more energy, which is a large reason why, in my opinion, alot of people get out of breath quickly...

Good job Dadu on todays swim! 

30/10/2013 at 10:52

dadu - well done, four lengths is great stuff I know what you mean about pool envy, everyone else seems so Phelps-ish compared to myself

Banksy - I'm a book lover so I'll have to order the swimsmooth book, I've had a peek inside and it looks very useful

30/10/2013 at 10:59

I really could'nt recommend it more Molly - i honestly put this book down to me improving my swimming massively. At some point i will also go for some sessions with one of there coaches. There is only so much you can improve without someone telling you explicitly how to do it...

30/10/2013 at 13:21

sorry for butting in guys, had a look on the swimsmooth website, superb advice on there, I'll definitely new buying the book too! thanks for the tip TheBanksy mate.

30/10/2013 at 13:29

No problem at all, happy to help 

30/10/2013 at 14:02

I did it the other way round...I had 10 individual lessons and now I'm on my own. Obviously the lessons helped me no end but it wasn't financially viable (ie couldn't afford them!) in the long term. Runs off to order book....

30/10/2013 at 18:40

just ordered it from Amazon! even bought some goggles today, just need to get wet on another note I did see another book on Amazon  by a guy called Joe Friel, triathletes training bible, anyone know if it's worth buying?

30/10/2013 at 18:52

It is a very good book. But it gets quite technical and is aimed at people looking to plan there own plans. If that puts you off there is another book called Be Iron Fit which has some plans in them which is again very good and the competitive plan in it is what im going to follow this year

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
30/10/2013 at 20:34

Friel is very very technical, I have his training bible and couldn't get on with it at all. I subscribe to the Pirate way of training, i.e swim a bit, run a bit, bike a lot!

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
30/10/2013 at 20:52

Molly - here's the tri club training plan from yesterday.

400m warmup

200m - 2 armstrokes + 10 leg kicks

100m - Catchups on backstroke - very difficult!

100m - Catchup on crawl

200m - 10 armstrokes + 20 leg kicks

10 x 100m freestyle with + 1 sprint in each length

4 x 50m - 25m on only 2 breaths and 25m sprint

400m - dolphin kick/medley strokes, change every 50m

4 x 100m fast

800m breathing drill - breathe on 2nd stroke, next 50m 2 &3 - then 3 - 3/4- 4 - 3/4 - 3- 2/3

30/10/2013 at 21:54

nice one TheBansky, cheers for the tip. I'll have a look when I get home from this really lame Halloween quiz night that I'm at.

30/10/2013 at 21:57

Bionic ironwolf, I think I like the pirate way, swim a bit, drink a lot, run a bit, drink a lot, bike a lot, drink a lot lol

12,441 to 12,460 of 12,922 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.