Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,501 to 12,520 of 12,922 messages
GH0ST    pirate
21/11/2013 at 19:12

Blox!

I had my 1 - 1 on Monday night and drove home in agony with a bloated stomach on account of drinking so much pool water I don't think i'm quite there yet - but better than i was apparently

Do i get points for effort though?

My nose is raw from chlorine burn. I'm either bunged up, running or sneezing.

21/11/2013 at 21:30
Ghostess - a lot of people here use Beconase spray before a swim to prevent that bunged up/sneezing feeling

Week 4 for me. 3x 25m full stroke off 15 secs rest for 30 mins, then 2x 25m with pull buoy off 10 secs rest for remaining 30 mins
GH0ST    pirate
21/11/2013 at 21:52

12 months I've been lurking and never seen mention of this Beconase  Should I try this over the nose clip that I've been considering?

21/11/2013 at 22:16

It's quite a common problem and common solution .  It's a nasal spray that you squirt up your snozzer approx 10 mins before you start swimming. I guess it's an anti-allergy thing (similar to hay fever remedies)

i used to suffer terribly with post-swim sneezing, but this has solved it for me

Edited: 21/11/2013 at 22:18
GH0ST    pirate
23/11/2013 at 19:28

Slightly less cr@p swimmer reporting in

I got promoted out of the special needs lane and even had to be put up to 1st swimmer in lane on account of whooping the boys.

My rotation felt over exagerated but it did the trick and i never got told off for lifting my head once - but i did resort to single sided breathing.

I am a happy bunny.

23/11/2013 at 19:38
Ghostess - I tend to breathe one-sided in training. What I try to do is swim one length breathing to the left, then the next breathing to the right. Don't get hung up on the number of breaths between strokes; that can and will change as your fitness and technique improve
GH0ST    pirate
23/11/2013 at 19:58

Thanks Schmunks, that sounds like a plan.

i feel a right muppet, still grinning when I think about how "easy" it felt. I realise it was beginners technique, but still 

23/11/2013 at 20:05
As has been said many times, we will swim length after length feeling as if we are not making progress, then one day something will click. Remember this feeling for when you next feel your progress has plateau'd and keep going til the next breakthrough
26/11/2013 at 10:12

Yippee I have  an informal coaching session with a friend who was a hopeful for the Olympics in his teens. Hoping to get some good tips.

26/11/2013 at 11:43

This morning there was a chap with what I assumed was a personal trainer, I eavesdropped on most of his lesson and pretty much tried to keep up with his sprints, I thought I was pretty discrete and had a good work out until the lady who was instructing him said good workout to me on my way out, I laughed and apologised she laughed too.......I think

26/11/2013 at 20:48

Great coached session today, apparently I need to work on my kick as if I kicked alone I would move backwards no wonder i find swimming so hard my leg are trying to go in the opposite way to my arms.. ...

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
29/11/2013 at 06:36

Molly - this week's tri club session:

800m warmup - 200m each crawl/ back/breast/crawl

10 x 100m

400m alternating fist and fingertips drills

10 x 100m

400m cooldown any stroke(s)

29/11/2013 at 11:59

5th swim session in a row and met my 1st personal swim challenge.

Was awarded 'star pupil' by swim coach for my efforts

29/11/2013 at 12:49

I can happily plod up and down for an hour covering about 2500-2750m now, the biggest problem is that for family reasons Friday night is a good night to swim, yet there isn't a swimming pool I can find locally that is actually open for lane swimming on a Friday evening.

Really frustrating me

Blisters    pirate
29/11/2013 at 15:40

Well done Ghostess and Schmunks on the improvements and promotions.

I went to the pool during the week, and to be honest I feel like I've made retrograde progress. Impressive, but my watch confirms the increasing slowness!

29/11/2013 at 16:41

can't believe it...after a few weeks of copying BI's training sessions more or less I thought I'd have a go and see how many lengths I could do without stopping. (In July I could only do 1). So clutching my pullbuoy as I don't intend using my legs much as I'll be in a wetsuit (please tell me if I'm illuding myself)....I set off and did 3 x 500mt in 45 mins. Ok I'm not fast nor elegant but I'm well chuffed.

Blisters you could just be tired after Henley

BI - thanks a lot

Graeme - hope you find a solution asap

JPG - great earwigging there

Fairy - wow, that's an achievement - well done!

Duda - does that mean you'll have to swimwith a float and just work your legs then?

29/11/2013 at 17:39
MM - yes, you may be deluding yourself a little. A wetsuit will give you buoyancy but your legs may still drag. You don't need to kick hard as you're not sprinting but you may want to consider some element of kicking to keep your legs up and your body flat
29/11/2013 at 18:32

MM  , yes gotta do loads of kick drills with the float so I can learn to power myself up the pool with my legs

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
29/11/2013 at 20:01

MM - excellent! well done. I'll keep on posting the Tuesday training if you like. Our trainer never gives us the same session twice.

30/11/2013 at 06:54

Fairy- ggrrr i knew it had to be too good to be true! Will try and do the same next time "on my own". I am hoping to use my legs as little as possible so I can save them for the bike and the run. i've got my first ever half IM in June.

Bi - yes please carry on!

12,501 to 12,520 of 12,922 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.