Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,521 to 12,540 of 12,925 messages
Duda the Mutineer    pirate
30/11/2013 at 08:48

MM, here  is a quote form my coach "during you IM swim you will only be using a 2 beat kick to save your legs for the bike and the run but before we can move on to that you need to learn to swim with a flutter kick to build core strength and help with your over all technique" 

This was in response to me suggesting that I just learn to swim with the pull boy as I don't intend to use my legs in the race.

30/11/2013 at 09:03
MM - also bear in mind that you may get bunched up in the swim. You're gonna need to kick hard to get away and find a bit of space

I understand about keeping legs fresh for swim and bike, but if your at the back of the pack in the swim, you're gonna have to bike and run hard to keep up

Its all a matter of finding the right level of kicking. Try kicking really hard for a length and keep your arms slow. Feel how little resistance there is for your arms. That's because 1] your legs are propelling you helping you move forward and 2) your body is flatter in the water

Also, what would you do if it became a non-wetsuit swim.
30/11/2013 at 09:04
PS call me Schmunks
30/11/2013 at 12:52

Duda - glad i"m not the only one who thought that then!

Schmunks - i know full well i"m going to be at the back of the swim but i'm not that interested about times at the mo. I know i'm going to be last in 7hrs58 mins but it's all about finishing. Maybe if i do another one then i would look to improve. I am better on the bike and the run so maybe i"ll make some time up. If not it doesn"t matter this time round, enjoyment is the keyword. 

30/11/2013 at 12:57

I don"t want to sound unambitious or lazy but nearly 12 months ago my mum died suddenly of a heart attack and i needed something to focus on so that"s why i decided to do something new (triathlons) so i'll be happy to get round in one piece and have a great time thanks to you all for your advice

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
03/12/2013 at 21:32

Tonight's tri club swimming was tough!

800m warmup, 200m each crawl/breast/back/crawl

10 x 50m fast

5 x 100m fast

200m catchup drill with pull bouy.

200m 2 left arm, 2 right arm strokes

200m breathing 2 and 3

3 x 400m: 1st, one sprint in each 50m. 2nd, 2 sprints. 3rd, back to 1 sprint

400m cool down

Total 4000m!

Edited: 04/12/2013 at 11:37
04/12/2013 at 11:40

By the way "fast" is a relative term!  Even flat out I can't keep up with the others in the lane. It's good for me though, because I get a lot less rest than everyone else, great training effect.

04/12/2013 at 13:14

Good afternoon all. I’ve been offline for some time but keeping an eye on the thread. Been putting in quite a lot of time in the pool “working on my technique” which consists of trying to keep my stroke as long as possible and my hips as high as possible (not easy for those of us with the natural buoyancy of a bowling ball). While it feels much better to me (under a bit of control may be a better way to express this sensation) I am not going any faster through the water. As I’m self-coached (swim clubs intimidate me) I’m looking for some way to give my sessions some direction. Amy advice on this. Incidentally I’m considering asking a friend with an underwater camera (he dives for fun – no accounting for taste) if he could film me in a pool but not sure what I should be looking for.

tricoops    pirate
04/12/2013 at 16:34

IM84, being filmed is a great way to go. I was self coached and just went to the pool and swam. Seemed to work okay as I managed a HIM and Olympic distance swims OKish. Since the beginning of October I have been swimming with my tri club twice a week and went to a session that was filmed. In 2 months I have improved my 400m time by 90 seconds! Very surprised but chuffed to bits. Having been a sprinter and rugby player had legs and hips that sunk but have been taught how to improve my body position. No quick fixes but a gradual improvement. It really is worth getting stuck in with a swim or tri club.

GH0ST    pirate
04/12/2013 at 16:53

First the bad news - Saturday night i was relegated to the slow lane again I'd really like to know what a certain coach dislikes about me so much.

Now the good news - I've just completed my first mile non-stop crawl . It may not have looked nice but i don't care. Slow and steady 43 minutes.

05/12/2013 at 11:57

Very well done Ghostess.

06/12/2013 at 09:15

Ghostess well done, way ahead of myself. I managed 6 x 100m this morning, given that I couldn't do 25m 5 weeks ago I'm quite pleased. Definitely down to practice, confidence and mainly the 3 one to one swimming lessons I've had

06/12/2013 at 13:17

ghostess - don't worry about the lanes - it's all relative to who's there but a massive well done on your first mile and to be honest it's a lot faster than I can do it

ElBeanpole - brilliant - a big improvement there.

Blisters    pirate
08/12/2013 at 20:57

LBP, well done on the improvements.
Ghostess, very well done. I dream of lane promotion, but know that it will be a long way off. Today there were 3 of us in the Lane 4, and I was pleased to report that I was second slowest.

We were focussing on the power bit of the stroke. As my stroke has no power at all and my legs dangle like concrete lamp posts it was interesting. I guess that I'm also over-rotating my head when I breathe, because coach wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise.

08/12/2013 at 21:19

1800m swum at lunchtime today - as usual on Sunday there was a youngster in the fast lane, I think she's only about 10 and she swims like a fish! I can't keep up with her even with fins on.

Blisters    pirate
15/12/2013 at 23:57

Swimming tonight was chalked up as being a very easy session.
3 sets of 150m, building pace/power in each set, with 15 sec rest.
150m with the pull buoy float
repeat the 3x 150.
However it was stopped at the pull buoy bit, and Coach chalked up an End of Term relay race. Mixing up the talent from each lane- I got to swim Lane 1, (child-like grin), along with a fish and Mr Powerhouse. Time to put on the Game Face.

Race 1: medley.
Race 2: Swim 50, Swap T shirts race
Race 3: Swim with two large paddle floats.
Race 4: Swim with a Woggle Float.

We only won every event! I must say that I certainly felt the pressure of eyes watching me, and I've got certain muscles that are physically bulging now. Happy and tired!

16/12/2013 at 11:21

Specially for Molly and anyone else who's interested.

Last week's tri club session: (all freestyle)

800m easy warmup

2 x 100m

2 x 200m

2 x 300m

800m easy

2 x 300m

2 x 200m

2 x 100m

200m cooldown, any strokes.

Total: 4200m

That was Kathrin's idea of an easy week! I hope she gives us a real easy night on Tuesday as we break for Christmas.

16/12/2013 at 12:34

Thanks for these BI, I'll refer to them when I improve a bit. 

100m WU for me today, then 700m, then a 100m CD. Sore lats

17/12/2013 at 14:58

I'm anticipating a very easy night tonight, last night before Christmas break usually degenerates into water polo or something else silly like mixed relays. But with our coach, you simply never know!

Duda the Mutineer    pirate
17/12/2013 at 15:10

Swimming going really badly missed the last three opportunities due to rotator cuff  problems. Phisio visit tonight then I am hoping to join a masters club in the new year. Hopefully that will put me on the right track.

12,521 to 12,540 of 12,925 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.