Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Swimming Support Thread

12,821 to 12,824 of 12,824 messages
14/04/2014 at 21:49

Round 2 of swimming lessons #1

Just 3 of 10 turned up for 1st session (2 new to group): must have improved a bit in last sessions as I am now ahead of other guys.
back to basics - working on streamlined glide and legs

One fact learnt - I can only breath on one side if I'm not using my arms and getting body rotation (legacy of # clavicle)

Blisters    pirate
14/04/2014 at 22:04

OH. Two thoughts spring to mind. One, is that bilateral breathing is a major attribute to an open water swimmer, especially when the chop is coming from certain directions. So keep practising (it took me a year). The second thought is that Michael Phelps only breathes one way. So it can't be a performance limiter. Take whichever advice you prefer.

15/04/2014 at 08:16

Thanks Blisters, I can actually breathe bilaterally when swimming, it's just during practice glides/ leg exercises that I find difficulty. "Elbow out" rotates my body nicely to breathe on the left (poor) side. On a more positive note, crawl is beginning to feel more natural now.

As you are aware, I am inclined to open water (although it has to be said "ice cream headache" has so far impeded any effort to swim crawl in the sea. However, temperature is now on way up 8.3°C last Saturday!)

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
16/04/2014 at 16:50

But Blisters, Phelps only does pool swims.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12,821 to 12,824 of 12,824 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.