Cycle haters

on 5 Live in a sec

1 to 20 of 34 messages
23/09/2013 at 08:03
Apparently Surrey has been turned into a race track...
23/09/2013 at 08:21

They said just after 8 but not done it, maybe they realised the guy they were interviewing was a muppet.

23/09/2013 at 08:31

What a one sided interview, other than reading out the guidelines from Kingston Cycling Club they only let the woman moan and that was it.

Bit pathetic really.  Grrrrrr

23/09/2013 at 11:35

There was a half page piece in Saturday's Telegraph moaning about people being trapped on their homes every weekend due to the number of events Must admit I have some sympathy 

cougie    pirate
23/09/2013 at 12:53
I read somewhere about one of the complaints being about the noise ?
How loud are these cyclists ?
One of the people who set up the petition runs a clay shooting business. Hmmmm
23/09/2013 at 13:09
cougie wrote (see)
I read somewhere about one of the complaints being about the noise ?
How loud are these cyclists ?
One of the people who set up the petition runs a clay shooting business. Hmmmm

Maybe it the noise of the camera helicopter they were annoyed about?

cougie    pirate
23/09/2013 at 13:12
I never leave home without one !
23/09/2013 at 13:37

The lady they interviewed did talk about people riding 2 or 3 abreast and not moving to single file when a car comes up behind them.  I've seen that when I've been in my car and it is pretty annoying.  I was taught to go single file in that instance when I did my cycle proficiency many moons ago so I can understand that particular complaint.

cougie    pirate
23/09/2013 at 13:44
Three abreast is silly and has no place unless the road is closed. . Two abreast should be fine on quieter or wider roads.

Obviously you single out if you are causing an obstruction.

It's all about being sensible and thinking of others really.
WildWill    pirate
23/09/2013 at 13:54

high way code rule 66 basicly say no more than 2 abreast and single file on narow or bysy roads .. 1 or 2 cars doed not equal a busy road

andthey should not overtake a cycle at all if it means crossing/stadling a continuous white line .. if bike is at 10mph or faster 

Dustboy    pirate
23/09/2013 at 15:33

On teh rarae occasions I have been two abreast, I find the car drivers don't want to wait for you to adjust your pace and drop back or go forwards. They just want you to get out of the way by teleporting or summat. No thought given to the time it actually takes to do something. 

23/09/2013 at 15:41

If cyclists are two, or more, abreast and are keeping up with the flow of the traffic or are close to the speed limit on the road then there is no problem for me. It's when they are sat up chatting and just rolling along that can cause problems. There are some who then dont like it when I hit my horn to remind them that they are not riding sensibly but most tend to realise the istuation and pull over

cougie    pirate
23/09/2013 at 16:50
Hopefully a little toot ? Sometimes they might not be able to hear your car - a toot is appreciated. Blaring the horn like you're going to mow them down isn't.
seren nos    pirate
23/09/2013 at 17:47

If you are in a peleton two a beast then surely its easier for the car to overtake.than if you single out as then they have twice as far to travel to get around you and not much chance of the road ahead being clear enough for long enough to manouvere

GH0ST    pirate
23/09/2013 at 18:54

We had a bunch of cyclists riding 2 or more abreast up or street last week

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/780304/gallery/wiggers.jpg?width=350

WildWill    pirate
23/09/2013 at 19:20
cougie wrote (see)
Hopefully a little toot ? Sometimes they might not be able to hear your car - a toot is appreciated. Blaring the horn like you're going to mow them down isn't.

Anything more than a little toot triggers my hocky mask wearing axe murderer gene

meface    pirate
23/09/2013 at 22:29

two abreast or single file? Width of road plays a part in this surely.

If the road is narrow such that they can't pass a single cyclist without using the other lane then it doesn't make a difference if you are 1 or 2 abreast.

It is sometimes easier to pass 6 cyclists riding two abreast (3 long) than single file (6 long) due to lines of site and space to overtake. But the first reaction is anger and cyclists shouldn't be 2 abreast. I travel a fair bit in other peoples cars and the react angrily before even thinking.

I also drive a lot on motorways (2*300 mile each week minimum) and other cars drive slower than me. They should be shot in the head or stay indoors. Grrr. Bloody car drivers.

23/09/2013 at 22:39

Regarding the relationship between motorists and cyclists, I think the problems are caused mainly by the average motorists mindset about the roads. That being, that roads are for cars/lorries etc and if you are a slower moving vehicle of any kind (bike, tractor, milk float etc) then you are just in the way and inconveiniancing proper road users (cars).  Cycle lanes don`t help because it`s too much stop start as they are an after thought.  To make the roads safer for cyclists you need to change the motorists mindset and that will take decades.

23/09/2013 at 22:53

I think lack of awareness/ignorance (call it what you like) is the main issue. When I started cycling very recently I rode very close (read too close) to the curb - because as a motorist that is how I thought cyclists should ride. It wasn't until I rode with other people that I got told to move out from the curb a bit. Also until you are on a bike you have no idea what it is like to have a fast/big vehicle pass close by you. Riding a bike has defintely made me much more aware of cyclists - and more tolerant towards them - than I was previously. 

Monique    pirate
24/09/2013 at 08:56

Riding too close into the curb allows motorists not to register you as an obstacle and so they make no allowances when passing, it's actually more dangerous than taking your space on the road. plus that's where the punctures and potholes are.

1 to 20 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.