Cycling accessories

Numpty question

1 to 20 of 34 messages
13/07/2013 at 17:56

Afternoon all. I ordered my first road bike this morning, aside from pedals, helmet, shoes, shorts and jerseys (all already ordered or purchased) is there any other essentials I require? 

I have come up with the following list - any other suggestions would be much appreciated:

cages/bottle

spare inner tube

pump

puncture repair kit

bag for tube and repair kit

gloves

Last but not least........ a winning lottery ticket or large inheritance 

Symes    pirate
13/07/2013 at 18:07

First thought would be tyre levers, assuming they're not in the repair kit

Edited: 13/07/2013 at 18:07
13/07/2013 at 18:17

Track pump for home and mini pump or Co2 for roadside repairs

cougie    pirate
13/07/2013 at 18:28
Bottle and cage are essential.
Spare tube and levers.
Repair kit could wait a bit.
Sunglasses.
Sun cream.
Bandana for under helmet.

When the weather changes you'll need another bank Loan to pay for cool weather gear.
Doner Kebab    pirate
13/07/2013 at 18:48

zip ties and £10 for emergancy - i put mine in a zip lock bag which can double up for a bit of water proofing for my phone if it rains

Britrisky    pirate
13/07/2013 at 19:32

CO2 pump AND mini pump, in my (bitter) experience
Chamois creme (for happy botty on long rides)
Bento box if you want an extra little place to stash goodies on a long ride
Multi tool - it can wait, but if you're going to get one, make sure it has a chain splitter on it, and later on you might consider carrying a couple of power links in case the chain goes

13/07/2013 at 19:52

Thanks for the advice, I shall add these items to my ever growing list. 

WhizKid    pirate
13/07/2013 at 19:54

Spare inner tubes* make that a plural, cycle computer too is very helpful, a basic one will work fine, or you can go all swanky and get a garmin 910/810/800 etc but a standard 30 quid wireless computer does the job... Oh and clip on tri bars assuming its a road bike not a TT you can get a cheap set off eBay etc

13/07/2013 at 20:19

I saw a wireless cycling computer in Tescos for £15 - is this likely to be a waste of money? Are any of the iPhone apps any good for this? 

I think I will wait a little while for the tri bars - I will get used to the cleated soles first before I try something else that looks like they are likely to make me fall off! 

WhizKid    pirate
13/07/2013 at 20:33

I would maybe go a little bit more cash like a cat eye or whatever, all it needs to do is tell you... Speed... Time elapsed.... Avg speed.... That's really it everything else is a bonus... Don't need too spend more then say 30-40 quid

M...eldy    pirate
13/07/2013 at 20:36

another +1 for cat eye, they are not hugely expensive, something like the strada will be about £35
I have a mini pump that does both pump and CO2
Check out places like Planet X and CRC for their sales ...

13/07/2013 at 21:02

You also need to factor in the costs for your winter bike, TT bike and mtb.

Remember that the number of bikes you need = number of bikes you own + 1

13/07/2013 at 21:03

Thanks, I will check them out. 

13/07/2013 at 21:05
Gertie wrote (see)

You also need to factor in the costs for your winter bike, TT bike and mtb.

Remember that the number of bikes you need = number of bikes you own + 1

Haha, that is my current principle when it comes to fishing rods. I can see this turning into an extremely expensive hobbie. 

13/07/2013 at 21:39

Water proof jacket, a gilet, arm warmers, shoe covers, gloves, go for winter, spring/autumn and summer ones, turbo trainer, fixed/single speed bike, hybrid bike, a spare set of clothes or two, you can't have too many. 

Forget the bag, all sundry items, including pump and rain jacket MUST be carried in back pockets. In fact sod the rain jacket, Merckx wouldn't wear one, nor should you.

Whilst n+1 is the correct number of bikes to own, s-1, where s is the number that will cause a divorce is acceptable. 

13/07/2013 at 22:14

Whilst n+1 is the correct number of bikes to own, s-1, where s is the number that will cause a divorce is acceptable. 

Good point.

Has anyone mentioned bike rack for the car and bike box for flying out to a  foreign  Ironman??

13/07/2013 at 22:30

Insulation tape for taping spokes together when they break - so you can get home...

13/07/2013 at 22:45
Gertie wrote (see)

Good point.

Has anyone mentioned bike rack for the car and bike box for flying out to a  foreign  Ironman??

I'm in the fortunate position that I am single and live alone. so to get divorced I would have to find someone daft enough to tolerate my a selfishness first - so this sounds like an ideal hobbie for me. 

M...eldy    pirate
13/07/2013 at 22:49

Tall, dark and handsome by any chance ??    

13/07/2013 at 22:49

One advantage of being in a relationship is that you can ask for Wiggle vouchers for birthdays, christmas and aniversaries etc.

Also the missus can wash your kit as well.

1 to 20 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.