Cycling in Anglesey

Can anyone help with a route?

11 messages
08/02/2004 at 16:52

I'm off to Beaumaris, Anglesey, next week for a couple of days and will be taking my road bike with me to get some cycling in.

Does anyone know the area well enough to recommend a 50-60 mile cycling-safe route for me. Flat as a pancake would be preferred but don't mind undulating or the odd hill thrown in, though I appreciate that this might be a bit hard to find in Wales! Not too bothered whether it's an out and back or a loop.

Thanks in advance.
08/02/2004 at 17:58
Multi,

Give the guys at Energy Cycles in Llanberis a call (www.energycycles.com)
They know the area well - If you get a chance pop into their shop - top blokes!

Have fun!
08/02/2004 at 20:20
Multi - there aren't any huge hill on Anglesey, except a steep climb up towards Holyhead. The only other significant bump is Parys mountain, which isn't a mountain at all; more a hill rising to 147m. But it's worth a visit to see the old mining works. A nice route might be up to Penmon from Beaumaris, stopping to see the old priory and look over to Puffin Island. Then on up to Moelfre, which has a cute little harbour. Then skirt round to Amlwch, up Parys Mountain, over to Llyn Alaw, cross the island near Llangefni then back on the side roads to Beaumaris. Not sure how far that is, but Ynys Mon is not huge!
08/02/2004 at 22:39
Used to cycle on Anglesey when I was a student-too long ago to remember routes. I don't recall long rides though, you might have to do a bit of zig zaging or do a couple of laps. I remember a hill, a bit like a Belgian mont, half way along to Newborough from Llangefni. Great fun when my back wheel went over a patch of ice.
Good days though, enjoy yourself.
cougie    pirate
08/02/2004 at 22:48
Go on, do some hilly routes. You know you want to !
09/02/2004 at 09:15
i think its near wales
09/02/2004 at 09:16
turn right at bristol
09/02/2004 at 09:16
get to uttoxeter, you've gone a bit wrong
09/02/2004 at 09:17
sorry IF YOU get to....

(dunno why i am correcting inane gibberish though)
09/02/2004 at 13:13
Anglesey has a load of signed circular routes, originally four, now there's a load more, on or off road as you wish.
Tourist Office in Beaumaris will have a leaflet...........
jc
11/02/2004 at 12:07

Thanks for your comments, folks - especially you Mr. Collier!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.