Cycling is a dual carriageway madness or sensibubbe?

21 to 31 of 31 messages
06/05/2013 at 21:00

Meldy is your southern bit of the A5 the bit past MK? I sometimes see cyclists there and it scares me... No f*cking way would I cycle there there are loads of cycle paths in MK as an alternative.

M...eldy    pirate
06/05/2013 at 21:03

Yes thats the one Aly .. although I tend to use the by pass at the bottom (Stoke Hammond) and that is quite quiet out of hours

seren nos    pirate
06/05/2013 at 21:19

Alybea...cycle paths scare me the most.......lots of curbs and gravel.dogs either off leads or on extended leads.young children walking doing what young kids do.....dog poo and leaves.....and lots of narrowings that i can't get my bike through....when clipped in i am a nervous wreck on a cycle path...give me a dual carriageway anyday instead

06/05/2013 at 22:04

M'Eldy you must be near me! I work near Milton Keynes and commute on A5 or A43 or roads through Buckingham. I have not cycled on A5 but have seen people do so on the stretch nearer my end, Towcester way. A43 is maybe not so busy....

M...eldy    pirate
06/05/2013 at 22:13

Yes I probably am !!    I am south of MK tho, just by Aylesbury but regularly cycle up towards the Winchendons and Oving/Pitchcott

06/05/2013 at 22:15
seren nos wrote (see)

Alybea...cycle paths scare me the most.......lots of curbs and gravel.dogs either off leads or on extended leads.young children walking doing what young kids do.....dog poo and leaves.....and lots of narrowings that i can't get my bike through....when clipped in i am a nervous wreck on a cycle path...give me a dual carriageway anyday instead

Scariest place in the world to cycle: Regent's Canal towpath on a sunny sunday afternoon! 

M...eldy    pirate
06/05/2013 at 22:19

Canal towpaths are not good anywhere when the sun is out !

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
07/05/2013 at 08:52

Im also near MK,

Never cycle on the grid roads as most drivers treat them like a race track, also avoid A5 and A421 with a passion.

I dont like any busy roads, particularly A roads, duel carriageways arent much better.  I just cant relax and enjoy my ride, always on guard for the next car/HGV which is going to swoosh past at 50+ mph.

Nearly all my riding is done on B roads, most traffic is therefore passing you at around 30mph.  Luckily for the most part Buckinghamshire drivers seem pretty considerate.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
07/05/2013 at 08:53

Trouble with MK cycleways is there is lots of glass from the idiot teenagers who think its fun to smash bottles.

07/05/2013 at 09:07

Give me back roads over dual carriageways any day of the week. Even then though there are plenty of single carriageway roads that I steer clear of near me. The A69 Newcastle to Carlisle to the west of where I live is constant all day everyday with cars doing 60+. The military road ( route along Hadrians Wall )is a lovely place to be however on a bike it's a different matter. Again a fast road with hidden dips and crests. I use it sparingly to link up from one area to another if it can't be avoided.

The DC/SC is an argument that has gone on forever and will continue. Each to their own I suppose

07/05/2013 at 09:37

The problem with any fast road is the drivers don't want to slow from 60-80mph to 20mph so they'll go past you whether there is room or not.    Plus anything where the traffic is travelling 60mph plus the closing speed is that much greater so whilst we might think we are visible for a long way the time drivers see us for is a lot less for a given distance. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 31 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.