Cycling shoes!

Looking at a good pair - any suggestions?!

21 to 40 of 79 messages
Cheerful Dave    pirate
06/03/2013 at 11:25
Malakite wrote (see)

Right - what about something like these for the beginner??....

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/nl/index/footwear/road/product.-code-SH-RT32.-type-..html

I have a pair of those, although to be fair I use them for commuting & some training rather than racing as I only have SPD pedals on my fixie.  They're good shoes and will last for ages.  The recess for the cleat isn't as deep as it is on a true MTB shoe (which usually has a ridged sole) so while they're fine for walking in the cleat does make contact with the ground so I avoid walking on wooden floors!

06/03/2013 at 13:42
fat buddha wrote (see)
Malakite wrote (see)

Can I still walk ok in the RO77s then?

not so well - they are road shoes so won't take a SPD (off road) cleat.  the Shimano road system is known as the SPD-SL just to confuse matters!!!

On my goodness.  Well Halfords are now fitting me the Shimano 520's, so what would be my best shoe do you think? I am happy to go with what you gys recommend.  From what I have read from you all (and thank you all SO MUCH for this!!), I think I am best to go for a tough set that I can walk a little in if required, but that should give me toughness for extra push on the pedals, and of course, that will fit the 520s lol.

Answers on a postcard pleaseeeeee!

06/03/2013 at 14:11

you could go with the one's mentioned in the Shimano link but there are loads of decent MTB shoes out there that will do the job

if you want to get slightly better quality look at those from Specialized, Northwave, Sidi etc although you will have to pay more

here's a good review of a number of good MTB shoes - http://www.cyclingactive.com/bikesgear/7-of-the-best-recessed-cleat-shoes

and FWIW - I have Shimano MTB shoes - a few years old now but still going strong and do the job.  for road and tri I have Northwave

Edited: 06/03/2013 at 14:14
06/03/2013 at 16:52

I use these on my cyclocross bike http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/rl-mountain-shoes-ec036063

The look good, easy to walk in and on sale!

06/03/2013 at 23:31
fat buddha wrote (see)

you could go with the one's mentioned in the Shimano link but there are loads of decent MTB shoes out there that will do the job

if you want to get slightly better quality look at those from Specialized, Northwave, Sidi etc although you will have to pay more

here's a good review of a number of good MTB shoes - http://www.cyclingactive.com/bikesgear/7-of-the-best-recessed-cleat-shoes

and FWIW - I have Shimano MTB shoes - a few years old now but still going strong and do the job.  for road and tri I have Northwave

Do you change them at transition though for running shoes?

06/03/2013 at 23:34

The other thing I have noticed, is just how cold your toes can get, so I daresay a shoe with a solid toe section is best also??

What socks do you guys use? Are there specific ones? I just use my running socks! Also what about tops/leggins etc? Again I have just been using what I would for a run? Sorry with all of the Q's here but I am a total novice when it comes to cycling!

07/03/2013 at 00:17

Malakite, from my limited understanding, tri shoes might give you colder toes due to their design but when it warms up (depending upon where you are & where you ride) that might be OK as your feet won't overheat.

Running socks should be fine.  If it's a bit cold then you could try 2 pairs.  If your feet warm up part way through the ride then it's obviously easy to take them off.  If you have good running socks then it might be worth getting some cheap-ish cycling socks so that you don't ruin your running ones.

Tops - well, you can get regular cycle tops or tri specific ones (sometimes referred to as monacos).  The monacos are designed for running in so the zip will be lower, they won't have sleeves but they tend to only have 1 pocket in the back.  For longer training rides, use a regular cycle top as you'll have more storage pockets.  You can also get short or long sleeve.

You will find that most cyclists love talking about their hobby so never feel the need to excuse yourself for asking questions!

07/03/2013 at 08:59

M - yes to changing from tri shoes to running shoes in transition.  be a bit daft to try the run in bike shoes - MTB or road versions!!

as for socks in tri, I don't bother for the bike (my tri shoes are very comfy without socks) and I won't bother for the run unless it's further than 10K, and then I use normal running socks. 

if you suffer badly with cold toes, many triathletes will have neoprene toe covers on their shoes to keep the worst of the cold air out - you can put them on your shoes in adavance.  on extremely cold days, many would go for a full overshoe.

IronCat5    pirate
07/03/2013 at 09:10

I don't bother with socks for short distances in the summer.

Malakite wrote (see)

The other thing I have noticed, is just how cold your toes can get, so I daresay a shoe with a solid toe section is best also??

fat buddha wrote (see)

if you suffer badly with cold toes, many triathletes will have neoprene toe covers on their shoes to keep the worst of the cold air out - you can put them on your shoes in adavance.  on extremely cold days, many would go for a full overshoe.

I'll have to look in to those FB. I planned to wear socks last month's du but found they stuck to the velcro on my bike-shoes so went sockless in the freezing wind. This month I wore less sticky socks and taped up the front and bottom vents on the shoes. Much warmer.

07/03/2013 at 10:04

there's a few brands of them around IC - even Wiggle have their own DHB brand version.  never used them myself but might invest for Marshman

Dubai Dave    pirate
07/03/2013 at 14:15

Bllody hell at Marshman last year I had socks, overshoes, buff, Full finger gloves, monaco, with cycling shirt over and gillet, I was still cold

07/03/2013 at 14:45

that's because you're a warm blooded ex-pat DD and can't manage UK weather any longer...

but yes - it was bloody freezing and I'm glad I wasn't racing - probably do the sprint or standard this year

07/03/2013 at 17:32

I can state quite categorically Shimano R077s will take an SPD cleat & an SPD SL cleat.  One is a 3 bolt fitting (SL) the SPD uses just 2 of those bolts.

So to answer your question you can walk perfectly ably with R077s and an SPD cleat fitted to your shoes.  

08/03/2013 at 09:34
Gavo wrote (see)

Malakite, from my limited understanding, tri shoes might give you colder toes due to their design but when it warms up (depending upon where you are & where you ride) that might be OK as your feet won't overheat.

Running socks should be fine.  If it's a bit cold then you could try 2 pairs.  If your feet warm up part way through the ride then it's obviously easy to take them off.  If you have good running socks then it might be worth getting some cheap-ish cycling socks so that you don't ruin your running ones.

Tops - well, you can get regular cycle tops or tri specific ones (sometimes referred to as monacos).  The monacos are designed for running in so the zip will be lower, they won't have sleeves but they tend to only have 1 pocket in the back.  For longer training rides, use a regular cycle top as you'll have more storage pockets.  You can also get short or long sleeve.

You will find that most cyclists love talking about their hobby so never feel the need to excuse yourself for asking questions!

Hi Gavo - thats great advice thank you!  Glad I am not winding anyone up with sooo many Q's! Where do you purchase most of your cycling gear from, or does it all differ?? Also, re: Tri - the short sleeved top (one pocket) seems a good option to race in so that there is little transition! Can I Ask though, how does it work with the swim section?  Are they usually inside or outside or dependant on location?  Do you literally stand at the change area and take a full wetsuit/trunks off with towel and then fully change?! I have no idea really!

08/03/2013 at 09:35
fat buddha wrote (see)

M - yes to changing from tri shoes to running shoes in transition.  be a bit daft to try the run in bike shoes - MTB or road versions!!

as for socks in tri, I don't bother for the bike (my tri shoes are very comfy without socks) and I won't bother for the run unless it's further than 10K, and then I use normal running socks. 

Sounds like a great idea - do you have a link to them I can look at??

08/03/2013 at 09:42
Final RV wrote (see)

I can state quite categorically Shimano R077s will take an SPD cleat & an SPD SL cleat.  One is a 3 bolt fitting (SL) the SPD uses just 2 of those bolts.

So to answer your question you can walk perfectly ably with R077s and an SPD cleat fitted to your shoes.  

Excellent - I see that 'Wiggle' have the RO77s pretty cheap right now (43% off!!).  One question though, a chap in Halfords suggested that the stronger/stiffer the shoe, the more power into the pedals I can achieve, so I am wondering if these would be strong/ridgid enough?  

Thoughts??

cougie    pirate
08/03/2013 at 09:58
Malakite - these are the toe covers. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-toe-cover-overshoe/

I've not needed them as I only race when its warm. For winter I use some Planet X overshoes - cheap and do the job.

You really don't need shoes THAT stiff. You're not forcing the pedals round - you should be spinning - less force - more speed.

Top of the range road shoes have carbon fibre soles - so you cant feel the pedal beneath you at all.
08/03/2013 at 10:02

ah - I didn't realise the RO77 could take a MTB cleat or a road cleat.  nice idea.

they have glass fibre reinforcing in the sole so would be strong enough for your needs at the mo M.  and yes, the stiffer the sole the more power stransfer as the sole isn't flexing - top end shoes have very stiff carbon soles but they are very likely to be road cleat specific only.

just google "neoprene toe covers" - will bring up loads of sites.  If you're buying the shoes from Wiggle, they sell these as well under their own brand name, DHB, as well as other brands

08/03/2013 at 10:29

Hi guys - you are all awesome for all of your help so thank you!!

Do you think I should just go for the RO77s then?  May I ask what the difference is between an 'RO' and an 'MO' range?

Also FB - yes I will order the toe covers at the same time!  Whilst I am at it, are there any good tops on Wiggle you would recommend? I may as well get the lot in one go

08/03/2013 at 10:31

yes to the shoes

tops - leave that to you - too many to choose from!

21 to 40 of 79 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.