Cycling shoes!

Looking at a good pair - any suggestions?!

41 to 60 of 79 messages
cougie    pirate
08/03/2013 at 10:34
Hmmm - what could the difference possibly be - R0 and M0 ?

Try googling and you'll find its Road and Mountainbike.
08/03/2013 at 10:41

MO - Mountain bike

RO - Road bike 

the MO will only take a MTB specific cleat, the RO will take a road or MTB cleat

08/03/2013 at 10:56
fat buddha wrote (see)

MO - Mountain bike

RO - Road bike 

the MO will only take a MTB specific cleat, the RO will take a road or MTB cleat

Ahhh of course (sorry Cougie!), so the RO's will just be slightly more ridgid right? Thats about it?

Going to order all stuff today, shhhhhh don't tell the mrs!

08/03/2013 at 15:27

You may find the MO's only have a 2 bolt fitting as well as being more supple in the sole plate.

You are aware that when you asked the question about walking in cycling shoes, buying a pair of RO or any road shoe menas the soles will be stiff, you can walk in them, but if you're thinking of any more than 100 yards tops forget it.

The SPD cleat on those RO77s will stick out of the sole by ooh 5 or 6 mm nowhere near what an SL cleat will though, but it's metal rather than plastic so will last a whole lot longer than an SL cleat if you do a lot of walking in them!

Oh and Silver R077s are the fastest.

08/03/2013 at 18:24

Silver are the fastest?! Very funny lol....

OK so prob best with the RO77s then, a little flexibility and also the cleats 'should' be ok to walk in?  Do any shoes actually have them sat back enough that they won't affebt walking?!

08/03/2013 at 19:02

If you want to walk about then get MTB shoes - you can walk (about as fast as you could walk on sheet ice) in any road shoe the only difference is some cleats wear quicker than others - if walking in them is a consideration other than from your garage to your front door or into a cafe having leant your bike outside then you do not want road shoes.   

cougie    pirate
08/03/2013 at 19:05
If the cleats were set back they'd be no use for cycling.
How much walking are you planning ?
09/03/2013 at 09:30

Not much walking at all to be fair - I want what is going to aid me as much as possible with the cycling, so maybe i go for the super stiff soles RO's lol

10/03/2013 at 16:42

Shimano RO64 Vs RO87s - both VERY similar by the looks of things and a similar price.  

I think if I want to maximise my speed efficiency on the bike I am best to with ROs perhaps?  Just wondered if any of you had either of these?

11/03/2013 at 10:43

there's very little basic difference between the two RO models - the 87's have a 3 strap closure vs the 2 strap of the 64s and that would give you slightly better fit adjustment and a little more power as you have 3 straps holding the foot down.

of the 2 I'd go with the 87s

02/04/2013 at 15:44

Hi, just to keep you informed I ordered the 64s on 11th March from Wiggle and they STILL have not arrived yet due to no stock!  I have the pedals changed already on the bike so there really is nothing I can do right now but wait - EEK!!!

02/04/2013 at 15:49

have you tried other stockists??  if so, I'd go through someone else and cancel the Wiggle order 

03/04/2013 at 14:38

Might have to - they just got back to me to say they will be in...ready for it...come OCTOBER TIME?!!!! FFS!!!!!....

They suggested the RO78's as a suitable replacement?!....

03/04/2013 at 14:48

do you mean the RO87s that's been mentioned before? 

cougie    pirate
03/04/2013 at 14:48
Are they being discontinued or something and their successor is out in October ? Crazy delays. I'd be shopping around.
03/04/2013 at 14:50

Right it's between the RO78s and 87' http://www.wiggle.co.uk/compare?ReturnUrl=%2Fmens%2Froad-shoes%2F%3Fea%3D4294789843

Wiggle only have my size in stock for the RO78s at the moment... I also notice they have the 3 bolts type for cleats whereas the 87s have both the 3 and 2 bolt...... 

Any advice from REAL peeople would be better than what some herbert behind his PC is emailing about from Wiggle because they potentially simply just require my sale!!

03/04/2013 at 16:28

Also, they have now emailed me AGAIn saying for my SPD pedals they would recommend from the link below!!  I am close to putting my head against a brick wall because all I want is a decent pair of shoes that would be the most efficient in fast cycling for me so that I can build up my distance and speeds (notive atm) and be able to walk a SHORT distance in case I ever require doing so!!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/offroad-shoes/?s=spd+shoes

Please help it's getteing desperate now!!...

04/04/2013 at 09:40

ANy ideas/advice would be greatly received - you never know I may be able to start cycling again before the end of the year 

04/04/2013 at 11:17

I don't really know what other advice you're after now - we've offered a lot already - what's the problem???

04/04/2013 at 14:32

Sorry Fat Buddha - your advice has been superb - I just wanted to know if the peeps at Giggle were right to recommend shoes that were neither of the 'road' ones we discussed?!  The latter link I posted simply stated all 'MO' shoes but not 'RO' ones?  I just want to make sure that after all of this, I do not end up with a pair of shoes that do not fit my pedals?!  For example, will either 2 OR 3 cleat ones fit?

41 to 60 of 79 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.