Dear Dr Psycho

or Barlos to his shipmates

21 to 27 of 27 messages
Blisters    pirate
28/04/2012 at 14:14

Yo! TR

I even got a message from the creature that lives under a stone.

I hate to think who's going to appear next.

TR
28/04/2012 at 14:22
I hate to think what advice he gave you.
Blisters    pirate
29/04/2012 at 20:44

TR. He was very encouraging and sympathetic, just like he is in real life.

JFDI  rather sums it up.

So

Tonight I turned up to an organised coaching and training session organised by our local Tri club.
I was about as nervous as a bag of cats on their way to a ritual drowning. Thankfully the folks there were significantly older than 13 and I slotted in. At the back. At the bottom. In the corner.

Coach gave me a foam dumbell to put between my legs. It looked like it had been chewed by a number of creatures during their teething process. Bits kept falling off. Not just me, but the foam thing. Do this with you elbows he said. Breathe every two. (Every two what? Minutes?) Don't kick with your legs. (Eh? Everyone else in the pool is kicking with their legs). You're a runner aren't you?
I suppose the phrase "swims like a brick"  in my intro gave it away. Either that or the Marathon kit bag. Apparently not. I just looked like yet another hopeless cause with lead shielded legs.

Lots of breaks were necessary. And as the lack of form deteriorated the air intake got replaced by water intake.

I'm a bit tired at the moment, which seems odd to the others in the group as I spent more than 50% standing in a corner keeping out of the way. I'm quite pleased though, as I must have "swum" well over a dozen lengths of doggie crawl in total.

Gimme gin to undilute this pool water!

VT'd    pirate
29/04/2012 at 21:34

Blisters, you are currently suffering what I went through about 4 months ago.  

My first introduction to my tri club swim was at their annual gala at xmas just .  I wasn't even asked if I could swim, just paired up to race four separate races (two lengths front crawl, two lengths backstroke, two lengths breaststroke and a two lengths relay of any stroke).   I was spared a humilation and drowning at the butterfly, but most of us were excused bar a couple of human dolphins.

Although it was good fun I felt a little like my first 6 weeks in the RN where, to prove our worth, we were continuously made to somersault off the 2m meter diving platform until we got it right.   'Ouch, that's gotta sting'.

It does get better, and easier .........so they continue to keep telling me!

Edited: 29/04/2012 at 21:35
Blisters    pirate
30/04/2012 at 22:11
Gosh. Went for a run today. 6.5 around the old hamster wheel, the first time in absolutely ages. 85%mhr, but at 2 min/mile slower than marathon pace two/three years ago. Depressed? No way, I'm elated.
Blisters    pirate
01/05/2012 at 18:06

Today I got the opportunity for a nice bike ride. The rain went away, the roads started to drain. I did 41 miles and at the furthest point the rain decided to come back. Can I log 20 miles of swimming?

M...eldy    pirate
01/05/2012 at 18:25
Yes 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.