Death of a runner... rebirth of a what?

Looking for advice in what feels like a personal tragedy

21 to 32 of 32 messages
OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
05/06/2012 at 22:49

Hey TD

Like Joddly just caught this now

I am in for an arthroscopy in about 2 weeks time, with a bit of a trim as needed - my meniscal damage does not sound as bad as yours,

However I am biking consistenty at the moment, I only get issues biking if I am out the saddle and hoofing it up hill, (kind of a running position actually).  I have been nursing the increasing pain following long / hard runs over the last 18 months, and yoga has become a definite no no

For IM most of the work / training is in biking, In a big week, I do 12-14 hrs biking to 6 hrs running, (not for the last 3 months   )  Most of the running is reletively low intensity, (ie hr 145). The idea is that you cannot smash a IM marathon as you are already buggered from the bike......

Hope that give you hope that there is still stuff you can do that will give you a buzz......

08/06/2012 at 15:56

Thanks Mr.Outofrange Cannon - I need all the hope signs i can get. Op is a week today. I have elected to have an epidural so i can be awake and talking to the surgeon while he works - should get better quality info about the nature and possible causes of the damage in the knee.

Am still struggling to walk properly - I can bike a bit but hurts alot if I apply any meaningful pressure on the downstroke.

Mr.Squirrel - would welcome any insights from people who have passed down this road before me. Please put us in touch with each other - AND THANKS!

08/06/2012 at 19:28

OK Tricky - will message him with your first post info.  He's away biking this weekend so hopefully will get back to you early next week. 

Hope everything goes well,

Ms Squirrel

10/06/2012 at 10:13

Thank you very much feminine Squirrel. I apologise for having failed to recognise this.

TheEngineer    pirate
15/06/2012 at 00:36

Good luck today, mate. Thinking of you.

15/06/2012 at 22:49
Op went better than I was led to expect SE. Seems that not as much meniscus was removed as was previously thought necessary. Got to watch the whole thing live

I think if I want to run longer I am going to need to run less and cycle more. Mmm, interesting.
TheEngineer    pirate
15/06/2012 at 22:53

Beats the Eastenders omnibus!

That's excellent news mate. Pulling the trigger on the bike purchase then? 

OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
15/06/2012 at 23:47
I am in for mine on Tuesday....

Wish me luck
TheEngineer    pirate
16/06/2012 at 17:06

Good luck OC! Can you also use it as justification for a new bike?!

03/07/2012 at 17:18

Well done again on your debut IronMan Slow Engineer in what can only be described as a kicking time.

I've just got back from my post-op check up with the surgeon and I have a green light for competitive exercise, once the last bit of swelling has gone out of my leg. Mmmm, so far I have done 6 mountain bike rides, run 12km, 3km and 10kms and done 3 lots of swimming (in a pool in Kuala Lumpur after a long flight!!). I didn't ask if that light was retrospective....

So now, I just need to get Mrs. Tricky to bless the purchase of a nice bike. Afterall, that's what the doc said. A bit less running and a bit more cycling will certainly help to safeguard my long term knee health. I'm so happy. I thought I was going to be eaten alive by the sofa.

TheEngineer    pirate
03/07/2012 at 20:51

That's excellent news my friend!

Everyone on here should live in fear of your methodical approach to training - we might have a fastest debutant soon! Still going for the Canyon?

04/07/2012 at 09:24

Well, it seems like Canyon only make a certain amount of each model and the one I had my eye on is unavailable now. I could spend a wee bit more and move up to the Aeroroad frameset with the Ultegra Di2 groupset.

I doubt MrsTD would be too pleased if I were to ask for a 2nd expensive bike in another year's time, so the question I really have in my head, is whether I want to plump for a dedicated tri-bike which would be good for an occasional race, or whether it is better to go for something with more generalised geometry as I expect to replace half my running training with cycling?

And a sub-question I suppose, is something like the Aeroroad frame offering a meaningful compromise in geometry terms between the two (lower headset etc)? Would be delighted to hear other opinions about this, even those that vary wildly! Cheers.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.