Deca Ironman France 2006

Starts 11th June 2006

1 to 20 of 122 messages
12/06/2006 at 10:56
All,

Yesterday one of Chester Tri started out on a mission to become the 2nd member to complete this massive race. Tony Fisher who was named in 220 this month along with certain other Ultra Athletes started swimming the 1520 lengths of a pool at 9am yesterday. Below is a link to his BLOG site and a link to the website with a webcam.

I will also be giving regular updates as and when we get any notification from his sherpa, Brian.

>IR<
12/06/2006 at 10:59
Well it's Thursday morning and we fly-out to France later this afternoon for the Big One.

The Deca is based in a town called Vidauban some 50 km outside Nice. It all seems very well organised: I've been getting emails, letters and phonecalls from the organisers every other day.

Last night I had the strange experience of closing the e-training log on my website that I have been diligently filling-in every day for the last 7-and-a-half months.

Tony's BLOG site

Closing totals are:

Swim: 356 km

Bike: 8140 miles

Run: 1278 miles

Quality: zero

Rest: zero

I couldn't have realistically done much more whilst keeping down a busy full-time job (and staying part of my family!).

The whole of the Deca will be apparently be on 24-7 (or rather 24-14!!) web-cam coverage. For those of you who think that watching paint drying is a spectator sport, you could have a look around the website at:

Deca Webcam

As I sit here trying to type with shaking fingers (ie: fingers that seem to shake from my neck down), I just can't think how on earth I am going to be able to swim 24 miles before we get down to the real race!

The mainstay of my crew is my chum Brian. There is an Internet press room at race HQ. I hope he will be able (via my user name on the eGroup) to send out the occasional Deca up-date.

With very best wishes to all my special friends at Chester Tri, Tony Fisher
12/06/2006 at 11:02
lets try the site/webcam link again

Race site and webcam

12/06/2006 at 11:02
haha, the pools empty, they must have finished !!!
12/06/2006 at 11:06
tangentially, the way my job hunting is currently leaning, i'll most likely be moving to Wilmslow soon. will chester tri be my local club??
cougie    pirate
12/06/2006 at 11:10
If you move to Wilmslow - (I was there on Saturday) there are some lovely apartments just over the road from the big tri shop there. I'd live there and have my salary paid direct to the bike shop.

Chesters probably 20 miles from Wilmslow I'd guess ?

12/06/2006 at 11:37
Isn't it cool that one of the marshalls is called Iro Hermann?

Totally and utterly mental.
12/06/2006 at 12:16
Thank Dog...

Didn't notice the year and thought this was to be a pirate trip....

phew!
12/06/2006 at 12:54
there is Manc tri and Chester Tri in the area, also Warrington has 2 clubs. I would still travel to Chester but its a good 20-30 mins as Cougs says down the M56.
12/06/2006 at 15:24
I hope someone's missed a decimal point:

Running: Course of 788km, 533 laps

8o|
12/06/2006 at 15:40
Mental

totally totally mental.

!!!
12/06/2006 at 15:57
How about this for the Pirate outing for 2007?

Anyone???

Thought not!
M.
12/06/2006 at 23:06
results are up on the event website to 20.15 tonight. http://www.decatriathlondevidauban.com/PDF/resultats.pdf

tony fisher out of the water in 20.49 and safely on the bike.
M.
AndrewSmith    pirate
12/06/2006 at 23:14
Just seen this, go crazy Tony....

13/06/2006 at 00:34
thanks M, the man is certifiable and just to remind myself I had to watch Norseman again tonight. Got Smiffy smiling all the way up Imingfjell and Tony out of the saddle for about every piece of footage they had on him.
Monique    pirate
13/06/2006 at 10:28
I really wish you wouldn't post this kind of thing Nick, it just gets me hankering.
13/06/2006 at 10:29
Tuck it in your knicker-leg, Mon.
13/06/2006 at 10:36
2008 remember, you have to wait 18 months, get training now !!
13/06/2006 at 10:55
How achievable do you reckon an event like this would be for an actual mortal?

I mean we've got 60 or so pirates aiming to do IMDE in a few weeks, about half of whom have never done an IM before and have trained from fit, but not exceptional, bases over the last 6-9 months.

Do you reckon that given 18 months, and without having to give up a full time job, then someone who's capable of doing an IM, but has never done anything further than that, would actually be able to complete something like this?

Please note, I am in no way suggesting I am EVER going to do a deca, just idle curiosity
13/06/2006 at 12:58
Just have a read of Tony's website. He is a normal guy (well exceptional really) and holds down a VERY important role in Liverpool Uni I think it is, works stoopid hours a week and stil finds time to do this.

Its the mindset really, you have to be prepared to go long and slow for a long time. Rob Holmes who did this 2 years ago didn't really change his IM training that much but added a few longer sessions including 4hrs bike am and then 4hours bike pm.

Tony has been doing 10km swims and 250 work miles on the bike a week for weeks now but will then do 2 x 20 mile runs on 2 consecutive days.

Its achievable but you need base and lots of it and a think a slightly warped sense of reality as this will change your life.

Bob Brown wrote a book on his exploits which when I read it really covered his rise from very fast IM to wanting to find something else. He also trained hard and partyed hard in the early years but the real test was the Deca. It also took him 2 years to recover from the tablets he had to take to get round, Rob has also been out of mainstream tri for about the same time, it is a huge price to pay but for some the lure of the competition is there.
1 to 20 of 122 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.