Di2 woes

21 to 38 of 38 messages
seren nos yn canu    pirate
03/04/2013 at 20:13

it took me a bit to get used to but love it now .i used to get sore thumb joints before........never have that problem now

Dustboy    pirate
03/04/2013 at 20:28

Sore thumb joints drinking Peroni Seren?

Re the Di2, suspect you just got unlucky. If it helps, and yes I know I mentioned it before elsewhere, but Mr Chopsaloty off of tripetalk lost his Di2 in Norseman and did the whole thing in the BIG RING. That is sooo feckin' HARD!

Re silly money on bikes, if that is your thing, fair play to you. It's a lot less than a McLaren P1. On the flip side, you can get it fixed/downgraded. My velocipede however, will always look a bit brown, however well it rides. But it's still the only one!

Dustboy    pirate
03/04/2013 at 20:34

Blimey, they are indeed eight and a half new.

03/04/2013 at 20:40

And that's what bothers me now, IM Wales on the big ring, don't fancy that.

Silly money on bikes is not my thing believe me, this has been saved for, things given up for & things sacrificed for. 

I'm sure it'll be just fine, let them do their thing & it will all work itself out, see that Peroni is working, might have another one.

03/04/2013 at 20:51
My big worry is i can fix/bodge a normal gear system at the side of the road yo get me round when its electonic dead is dead
seren nos yn canu    pirate
04/04/2013 at 08:41

I can't fix anything so it gives an equal playing field

04/04/2013 at 11:27

FRV - my local trishop has an excellent "bike whisperer" and he's had bikes sent to him that have had Di2 problems all because whoever set them up didn't do the job properly in the 1st place.  he's recently had to sort out a Cervelo P5 with Di2 sold by one of the biggest tri stores around that was playing up - turns out they hadn't sealed the cables correctly.   if the Spesh Store can't sort it then contact Simon at the Tristore in Eastbourne for more help

04/04/2013 at 11:42

It does make you wonder though - if bike shop mechanics are having problems maybe it's a bit too complex.  

If I was in the market for a new bike I'd be in two minds whether to get it.   I like the idea of being able to shift under full load if it's true it'll do that.  On the other hand electrics on something like a bike ridden in all weathers I do wonder if it'll ever be totally reliable - I wouldn't fancy being in the Alps for a week only to find it's died.   Time will tell whether it becomes pretty much universal above the entry level road bikes or whether there'll still be a market for top end mechanical groupsets.   

04/04/2013 at 11:55

I suspect that electronic groupsets are here to stay now as they are gradually appearing further down the price range on Shimano and Campag sets, and reliability and robustness of the electronics and batteries are improving.

Campag have a "Back Home" unlock system which allows you to manually set the derailleurs in a suitable gear if the battery fails so at least you have some way of getting out of trouble, although Campag reckon that a battery should last up to three months for a rider covering about 500km per month, or roughly a month for someone riding about 2,000km in four weeks. 

I guess the downside for many though is home maintenance - I'm not sure what can be done if things go wrong - and for when you are in the wilds with no access to a decent LBS.  on our Colombia trip, one of the riders had a Di2 setup - the local guides were praying things wouldn't go wrong as there was no LBS in the whole country that would be able to help as the system had yet to be sold there!!

04/04/2013 at 11:57

Are the batteries easy to charge - I'm assuming it's something you can do at home rather than take it to a dealer ?

04/04/2013 at 12:07

as far as I know the batteries are home chargeable - I couldn't see the product being viable if you had to take them to a dealer every time.

rumours are that SRAM have an 11 speed electronic set coming soon as well

04/04/2013 at 12:35

If you buy the Di2 as a complete groupset it comes with a charger, takes about 90 minutes from empty to full & lasts about 1700 miles so it would seem according to other users, obviously depends how much shifting you do.

It appears the ECU needs a firmware re-flash as the shifter isnt talking to the mech, the mech is working fine & trimming, the mechanic put a different ECU on this morning & it's fine.

Much to the disgust of the Spesh store the diagnostic tool required had to be purchased from Evans of all places & Evans refused to give him a discount, I had to laugh at that.

This may be a blessing in disguise as now I can get them to set up quickshifting properly & reconfigure the shifters to my liking.

Fat Buddha I'll bear the TriStore in mind should this firmware re-flash not do the trick.

04/04/2013 at 13:11

Two options, buy Campagnolo on a carbon framed Bianchi, preferably an Oltre, it is better. Failing that, Campagnolo on anything else. You'll never go back.

Second, and the answer to any question on the bike. What would Merckx do? Reynolds 531 handbuilt frame, down tube shifters with a 52/42 at the front and a 11-21 on the back.

04/04/2013 at 13:33
GraemeK wrote (see)

Failing that, Campagnolo on anything else. You'll never go back.

on that point I will not disagree... 

04/04/2013 at 16:59

8.5 k on a bike? I can only dream. I'm expecting you to beat me by several hours when you pass me on my £900 bike in Wales then.

Doner Kebab    pirate
04/04/2013 at 22:37

£900 on a bike ! - should i be even allowed to race?

04/04/2013 at 23:33

I don't care what is spent on bikes. If people have the cash and are prepared to spend it then go ahead. FRV hope it all gets sorted. I'm all for sticking with my cabled Dura ace STI's, 9 speed at that!! The way I see it anyway is it's the engine that's going to push the bike in the first place  

meface    pirate
04/04/2013 at 23:42

I like the thought he has given things up to save for the bike - like premium beer!

However it is bloody annoying when you spend a lot of money on stiff and it doesn't work as it should. Ever seen a Rolls or a Bently on the back of a tow truck? No simples they send a covered truck to take it away, they do break down.

It comes down to how well they handle the fix. And that doesn't just mean quick and with good grace. Given you can afford an £8.5k bike (even with saving) then clearly your time spent faffing about is probably the biggest issue to you. Lots of places don't realise this.

Its funny they ask you bring it in like it is no big deal. But if you suggest they come and get it and bring it back when its sorted and suddenly the time spent traipsing around is an issue for them.

Hope it gets sorted and lets you fall in love with the bike again.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 38 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.