Dickhead cyclist or not?

You decide.

1 to 20 of 59 messages
M...eldy    pirate
16/05/2014 at 20:20

It's more a matter of courtesy than holding your right to the road I would say

M...eldy    pirate
16/05/2014 at 20:29

He might not have deliberately ignored the cars is he was wearing an iPod in blissful ignorance

16/05/2014 at 20:39

I waved a few cars passed on thursdays commute and stopped once to let one get by.  But I did occasionally get a line behind me and there wasn't much I could do about it.  Until I read this thread, I never really thought about it.  I'll try to be a bit more courteous next time.

16/05/2014 at 20:56

You aren't really giving us enough to judge KK - how long was he holding you up for ?  Yes there are times when it's polite to let traffic past but not everyone is polite.   I'd normally look for a place I could slow and move into and wave traffic past without me stopping - it's rare I'd actually come to a stop but then Derbyshire lanes tend to be a bit more open than down your way.    

16/05/2014 at 21:35

I will pull over and let a line of cars pass, as soon as I realise the queue and it is a safe place to do so, no use if that passing point is where you meet oncoming traffic though as there is still not enough space.

I have even nipped on to pavement going up a hill on a narrow road to prevent the usual line of cars forming behind unable to get past, then back on to the road near the top if clear.

16/05/2014 at 21:40

Nope, never pulled over, don't see why i should. but again as Pops says maybe the road are different in London/Essex and its rare for them to be too narrow for long.

16/05/2014 at 21:51

If i am on narrow lanes and holding up a car i wave em through on a passing place also on bends where ican see its clear before them but then i was bought up with good manners

seren nos    pirate
16/05/2014 at 21:54

if its too narrow for a car to overtake a slow fat cyclist.then surely its too narrow for the cars to go any faster.......

they wouldn't be able to stop if a car or bike were coming in the opposite direction.....and would be a danger to any family walking along the lane

if I drive in narrow lanes i expect to go slowly..never know when there are sheep or a herd of cows in front..........

going down the lanes as  a cyclist you often get slowed down by cars as they have to slow down due to visibility and never had a car stop to let the bike go past.....

16/05/2014 at 22:00

I'm on  your side KK.  The more I ride the more critical I am of cyclists who take the piss and give us all a bad name.

seren nos    pirate
16/05/2014 at 22:01

That said I hate riding in lanes because of a few idiots.i usually stick to A roads and dual carriageways

16/05/2014 at 22:03

Used to cycle home from work along a narrow lane going over a hill. Plenty of hassle from drivers who didn't seem to have the same manner when stuck behind a milk float. This was a milk float I used to over take on this hill.

Now days I would use the path that runs parallel to the road. Apart from the fact that I ride the roads no more.

16/05/2014 at 22:18

How is it taking the piss exactly?

16/05/2014 at 22:35

Seems fair.  Cyclists have a right to use the road too.  It isn't a race track. Would you complain so much about a horse? 

16/05/2014 at 22:38

Highway code, rule 169:

"Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass."

Quite vague, but I'd say it applies. Personally I'd feel like a complete numpty if I was holding back more than a single vehicle for more than a few hundred yards and would feel compelled to pull over to let them pass. Any more than a couple of cars and he's just being ignorant. And if he's not aware that they're behind him, he's got no right being on the road in the first place

16/05/2014 at 22:39

Also to overtake a cyclist safely, in most cases they'd need to be over the white line, which is different to simply driving faster on their side of the road

Cheerful Dave    pirate
17/05/2014 at 00:05

I have on occasion, as a runner and cyclist, pulled into a passing space to let cars go by on narrow country lanes.  Which gives me the right to get self-righteously indignant when other cyclists/horse riders/tractor drivers don't do the same.

17/05/2014 at 00:19
Agree with you Dave, lost count of the amount of time I've been stuck behind a tractor in a long queue, plenty of opportunity to pull in but most don't bother, personally I think it's common courtesy to let a long line of traffic through, so yes, I would do the same as a runner and a cyclist.
17/05/2014 at 06:02

Durham....that is a brilliant example of why the highway code needs re-writing, this has been brought up loads of time in work over the last few years.

One of the main reasons being is that because it is called a "code" and not "law" then people treat it as a guide. The fact that the bits that say "Must" as in "you must etc" are the laws is missed.

Plus most of us read it when 17 and once our car test was done never read it again.

17/05/2014 at 07:12

In some countries the 'Highway Code' is interpreted as 'Might is Right'.

The land where the owner of the 5 ton lorry is 'King'.

17/05/2014 at 07:36

One of the reasons I don't ride more on the country roads around here. I don't want to be that person who annoys me.

I believe I'm considerate to most - I run wearing bone conducive headphones so can hear to let cyclists (or faster runners) past on canal paths or narrow lanes.

A lot of people just don't seem to think or even care. That's the case all over though, other examples are in the street or shops where people just stop without any warning. I'm not talking about stopping to look in a window or goods on shelves but in doorways and exits to escalators etc without considering impact on others.

1 to 20 of 59 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.