DIY Pirate Lanza Training Camp 2014

chaep and cheerful

61 to 67 of 67 messages
Iron Pingu    pirate
18/03/2014 at 11:00

No you're bloody not, now get out there and do some more biking! 

18/03/2014 at 16:48

Im falling out with my saddle, its starting to be a pain in the arse!

18/03/2014 at 16:58

The comedy tan is coming along a treat, by the end of the week its really go to be hilarious.

OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
23/03/2014 at 13:25

phew - we are done

I was out for a training camp the week before, so wanted / needed a steady week.  ShuffleB (the missus) came out for a week to kick start her training for Challenge Barcelona, and Foggy joined us for a big week.

We stayed in an apartment block just 75m from the beach / IM course.
We swam at 7:30-8:00 every morning, biked out together before splitting in various combinations on different days as we had a couple of different speeds
We ran off the bike, or later in the day when the weather cooled down

Apartments were basic but pretty good really.
The breakfast was basic but lots of it
evening meals were good, but got more expensive as the week went on and we fancied more and more steak.  Might just do the hotel buffet next time
The apartments residents generally thought we were bonkers

Sunday
swim 40 mins.  lovely blue seas, mirror like surface.
bike - 90k in 3:50.  rode out of PdC using the same route each day, (donkey track, climb up to Conil).  went easy over to Yaiza riding with ShuffleB.  She then headed for home and me and Foggy rode on around El Gofo then over fire mountain.  Nice intro
run - i skipped it but foggy went out for a cheeky few miles 

Monday
Swim - nice easy swim for 30 mins...  noticed lots of strings of fish eggs or something on the see bottom......about 3 inches long
ride - 127k, 5:15 - easy out with ShuffleB, then left her to do a 2:30 loop.  Foggy and me rode up the island to Orzola, then climbed the Mirador from reverse, then straight home via haria switchbacks.... lovely
Introducing foggy to the concept of icecream and coffy stops
easy run with shuffleB as foggy ran off the bike

Tuesday
swim - out to yellow bouys and return a couple of times as Foggy did a lap of the IM course.  fish egg things floating around the place.....felt a little freaky when swimming through them and grabbing them with your hand, but no problems really
ride - rode with ShuffleB for the day - 4 hrs for 77k taking in La Santa and Famara - windy .  Foggy went solo somewhere
Run - foggy did yet another brick run, I took it easy 

Wednesday
swim - nice pootle in the ocean
ride - easy out to tabeyeso then TT up the 10k climb, (500m ascent).  1 minute slower than the week before so really happy, (I had people to chase on that effort).  Foggy rolled in just a couple of minutes down in about 35 minutes - a strong effort for his first time up this baby - 3hrs40, 91k
run - easy 20 min group run - before foggy ran off at a hell of a pace

Thursday
swim - found a jelly fish that freaked me out - but reversed before hitting it  1 all week is fine.  2 yrs ago there were loads - their sting just feels like a nettle sting so no great problem but i like to keep a lookout
ride - up donkey track together before foggy disapeared for a solo ride.  nice steady ride with shuffleB to Yaiza and over fire mountain for 3 hrs and 60k.  windy, again
run - foggy and shuffleB got it done - I did nothing

Friday
early morning pootle - just 20 minutes as we are getting tired.
IM Lanza bike course with Foggy - good solid ride for 6:50, 180k.  Only one ice cream stop as foggy was on a mission
windy!

First day off the bike for ShuffleB  - she did a 90 min run instead

Saturday
icecream, food

OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
23/03/2014 at 13:25

A big week, (I did about 28hrs) with a mix of solid rides and easier recovery rides for me with the missus while she was riding hard.
Foggy swam / bikes and ran every day - he's going really well on the bike
ShuffleB - swam daily, ran 4/6 and biked 5/6 for 20hrs training.

Edited: 23/03/2014 at 13:26
Pudge    pirate
23/03/2014 at 20:56

Sounds like you had a brilliant time.

30/03/2014 at 20:04

Thanks to O.rangeCannon and Shufflebunny for organising. A real top week, plenty of biking etc. I cant real add much after OC comprehensive report, don't know how he managed to remember what we did every day.

OCs knowledge of Lanzarote was great and has taught me a lot of the popular routes. Thanks. His recollection of the ride home from where ever we are on the island is somewhat lacking as his answer to any question about how far it is is met with the same answer " Back wind and down hill all the way home"

Lanzarote is a great place to go cycling in March, temps in low 20s, a touch breezy at times, roads good and motorists very aware of cyclists.  Sometimes it was a little warm which prompted somebody who will remain nameless to say " ive sweated a lot of salt out today and need to replace, I don't care what we have for dinner, you can bring me a turd and chips as long as its got plenty of salt on it"

As I said Lanza is a great place to train and will possibly be back another year.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 67 of 67 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.