12/07/2013 at 09:26

I'm between OC and SA:

2011 IMW 7:31

2012 Outlaw 6:24

Iron Pingu    pirate
18/07/2013 at 10:17

Outlaw 6.30

Wales 7.40

Wales defo a toughie, but I did it as my first and loved it.  I'm Monmouthshire too

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
18/07/2013 at 10:34

I'm a heavier rider (16 stone), weight on hilly courses makes even more difference.

Outlaw 2012 - bike 6:40
Wales 2012 - bike 8;20
Lanza 2013 - bike 8:11

Edited: 18/07/2013 at 10:34
Iron Pingu    pirate
18/07/2013 at 10:38

Oh, I forgot about Lanza, lol!

Lanza 7.50 - but on a random bike

18/07/2013 at 11:02

Are you stalking me around the Ironman circuit?

Ive only just shaken off Chrissie Wellington after she was following me around at Roth and Arizona

Edited: 18/07/2013 at 11:03
Rafiki    pirate
18/07/2013 at 11:04

Barley - judging by those times, its you that's stalking Pingu around, as she's way ahead of you!

Edited: 18/07/2013 at 11:05
18/07/2013 at 12:15

I dont get close enough to stalk

Iron Pingu    pirate
18/07/2013 at 13:40

I've a fair few IM to do till I catch you BB! And actually ... I think I did a 6.40 at Outlaw in 2012.

06/08/2013 at 12:00

Well - just thought I would give a little bit of an update every now and again...

Since posting I have lost around 8 lbs, and have trained regularly - I can see a distinct possibility of me entering IMW 2014. 

I have found a new love for exercise and feel much healthier and I am enjoying seeing my fitness levels improve day by day.  Since starting on the 5th July slowly, I've managed to do 21 hours of exercise in July, and I am finding that my increased fitness is allowing me to do more than one session per day.  I took last Thursday off and felt really guilty as it was an unscheduled break - but needed the sleep, physically I was okay but I was feeling tired as these hours entails me getting up at 5 a.m. to get to the gym before work.  I like to do this before work as I know its done and feel invigorated all day.

Read the Fink book twice and passed it to my Personal Trainer so that he can have an idea what fitness levels I need to be at before I start the plan next February.

I am off for a Professional Bike fitting next week so, there will be no excuses not to get out on my bike - but I am wondering what to do for winter - do I purchase an old bike/mountain bike to continue training in the winter?  I do have an indoor trainer but I have only been on it once since purchasing !  I have to say find it very boring training indoors - but if its a must - I am not sure I really want to put my new bike on it!  Will it damage the wheels ?  I have a Giant Carbon Defy Advance 1.  (not very good at bikes so I suspect will be looking for a great deal of advice in the future.

I have to say I am feeling positive - and even though not all of my training sessions have left me that way - especially when my PT leaves me feeling sick! I can see the improvement.

I am going to give myself another month before committing fully - just to see what improvements I can make within the next month before I 'Nail my Colours to the Mast'

Feeling Happy

06/08/2013 at 13:20

Hi Katty,

Great to hear that youre enjoying the training so far.  Thats the most important bit, its supposed to be fun and rewarding.

There is no reason not to ride your race bike through winter, ive been using mine for 10 years and its still as good as new (though most parts have been changed due to wear and tear).  If you have really good wheels (carbon) id suggest swapping them over for some cheap winter training wheels.  Get some clip on mudguards and that'll help keep you clean and a little dryer on wet days.  Just give it a good clean to get all the salt/grime off it.

Training through the winter isnt all bad, weather was pretty naff last winter but there are nearly always some nicer days when you can get good long rides done.

As for turbo vs MTB, a lot of people swear by turbo's (though I hate them - used mine half a dozen times in 6 years), Turbo is the best route epecially if you can leave it set up in a spare room.  Its a lot more time efficiant (no faffing getting bike out, getting layered up etc).  Also a turbo is very good for interval and strength training.

Putting a bike on a turbo wont damage it, youll just find your back tyre wears quickly if you turbo a lot, some people suggest a turbo tyre but why not just change your bike it when its worn would be my approach.

06/08/2013 at 13:27

Other advantage of turbo's is you can use them any time, no issue if its dark out. 

All this said in the winter I still prefer to spend an hour on my mountain bike, even if its charging around quiet roads, tracks near home.  Comes down to a personal choice.

Another option to consider is spinning classes, if youre doing a long ride outdoors at weekends you can spin 2/3 times a week (occasional back to back sessions).

One other thing, you mention personal trainer, typically in my experience these are 'gym' based people, yours could be different but you do need someone with knowledge of ensdurance sport.  i.e. just getting fit isnt the only consideration, before you start an Ironman plan its a good idea to have build up to 50-60 miles on the bike, half marathon distance running and have dealt with any swimming issues.  Your trainer/coach should be pointing you in the right direction in this regard.

06/08/2013 at 14:04

Thanks for the advice BB - I may invest in a MTB just to keep me in the open weather and try and harden my skin.  Your advice regarding the bike is most helpful and I will look to try and get my plan sorted for the winter.  I am currently doing 4 spin classes a week so this won't be a problem during the winter months.

Yes I do have a Personal Trainer he is mainly from a Professional Rugby Player background, playing for national teams.  He is just an interim measure so that he can get my fitness to a level that my body will be strong enough to sustain the pounding it will endure during proper IM training.  I am not sure if I said before I am also a member of a Triathlon Club and have many friends there and I am sure that they will more than happy help when I start to get back to full training.  I just feel that I am not up to their standard at the moment.

My short-term aim - lose the excess weight by Christmas (1stone 7 lbs) and get fitter.

Long-term aim 2014 - to complete IM Wales - training should start around February for this.

14/08/2013 at 11:27

Hi Kattyrich,  I have decided to enter the IMW 2014 as well ! first time at iron man infact first time in any type of triathlon! I actually live locally to the race so have the advantage of training on the hideous hills! my husband is doing it this year so I can learn from all his tips and mistakes!  I am new to cycling so this will be the diciplin that I focus most of my training on from now until next feb, we have a turbo trainer so guess I will use this a lot through the winter months.  I had heard from a few people that the IMW were not coming to Tenby again next year so decided to contact them directly to find out and they confirmed to me that they were definitely in Tenby next year. ( I think it was a 5 year contract).

Good luck in your goals

14/08/2013 at 13:14

Hi Rdrunner, I am sure you will be great with training for the IMW 2014 as I read your other post that you are a good marathon runner, you are certainly starting off way ahead of me!

I went for a proper bike fit on Monday, I can now say I am rather deflated to say the least, although the good news was that my physiology is great and that I have good flexibility and everything is aligned such has hip flexors etc. so there will be less chance of injury (mind you in the past I always thought I wasn't working hard enough to get injured .)  The only downside is that I need a new bike as although my legs are fine I am over-reached for the handle-bars.  I thought this could have been resolved by a stem, but even by changing his and moving the seat forward its not going to work.  So this is an extra cost that I didn't expect as I won't get the price I paid for my bike and I have only used it a handful of times!

Anyway on a more positive note - my fitness is increasing day by day, I feel positively stronger, I am training 6 days a week and my body is getting used to it!  I am now down 11 lbs so onwards and upwards.

Good luck with your training and keep in touch RR

14/08/2013 at 14:23

I'd try and borrow a shorter stem and see how you go - but that may be my natural cynicism about bike fitters.   At least get a second opinion from someone in your club.

14/08/2013 at 14:25

Hiya, wow 11lb is impressive, I want to loose at least half a stone but the Jaffa cakes wont let me!  I haven't had a proper bike fit yet but think that I should get this done sooner rather than later.  I was advised about the reach issue before I brought my bike and so went for a female specific bike as it has a shorter reach ( I am only 5 foot 4 ).  Have a look on tredz.co.uk, they seem to have a good selection of reasonably priced bikes and do interest free credit!!

15/08/2013 at 11:17

Popsider - they tried a different stem and this was too long as well - especially if I want tri-bars to be attached next year whilst training.  To be honest I had my suspicions before I went so it wasn't a great shock, but was hoping it would have been fixed by a stem.  Just need to focus on the positives!  The fitters are also the one of the people who founded the club, so I do trust their judgement.  In the meantime they are also going to keep an eye-out for other possibilities for me.

Thanks RR - I am also 5 ft 4 and bike spec says that the range was from 5ft 2 to 5ft 6 but I am obviously all legs and not enough top half!  I am going to hang fire before buying a bike for the time being - I will still be able to do a little training on my bike and try and get something in the sales at the end of season.  Maybe I will just have to do a new policy in work for Bike to Work Scheme !

23/09/2013 at 08:06

Well a little progress report and to ask a question - not sure if I want to know the answer but will ask it anyway...

Is it possible or am I just dreaming???

Although, I am making great progress with my fitness I am struggling to see if I am making enough gains to be in a position to finish IM Wales next year.  Just wanted some thoughts on where other people have REALLY come from to complete an Ironman.

In 10 weeks I have lost 16 lbs in weight and looking to lose another stone or so before Christmas which will take me down to about 10st.  I feel all good on the weight loss side and it hasn't been too taxing!

Although I have been training 6 days a week, approximately 12 hours a week.  I feel absolutely shattered today from the long weekend, I only did 29 miles bike on Saturday and run 2.5 miles and Open Water Swimming for around 1.5 hours yesterday and spin this morning.  Although all good and I can keep going my problem is.....  mph

Bike 13.3 mph  average - on a rolling course (legs were okay after it, although feeling tired today)

Run 11.4 min per mile (although not pushing it as I knew I had to get into swim).

My question is - is it possible to get up to the mileage and increase speed within a year?

Edited: 23/09/2013 at 08:56
23/09/2013 at 09:51

There is just the thread youre looking for;

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/triathlon/how-bad-were-you/107639.html

Sounds to me like youre doing really really well.  Looks like youve put some really hard work in, that work ethic above anything will get you through your training, if you keep that up id have no doubts that youll be ready for Wales.

Its very hard to take any guage from speed after such a short time, its also such a long way until the event that you have a massive opportunity to make huge improvements. 

I honestly dont think you have anything to worry about.  People often comment in Jan/Feb that theyre slow on the bike 13mph etc but that will usually improve qiuite a lot as the last 4 months of training cuts in.  Its not uncommon for training at 13mph to mean 16mph on race day.

You have loads of time so keep up the good work.

Lastly, if you are feeling tired, step the training back for a week or two, have 2-3 days complete rest.  Recovery is a important as training, particularly as your body adapts to the new excercise regime its being put under.

Dont look at days off as lost day, when youre resting your body has time to recover, adapt and repair itself.  Its a good idea to have a step back week every 4/5 weeks.

21 to 40 of 67 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.